Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Fallout 4

As I've never played a single Fallout game, do you recommend playing the first games before playing 4? Or can I just jump straight into 4 without worrying about the others?

Started with FO3 a couple of years after it came out on the 360 for about a tenner just to try it and was hooked on that for 4months straight, NV i started even later as I picked it up for 6 quid.

I'd say if you were starting one of the older ones now youd need some time to play with, if youve got that and want to do it there you go, if youre interested in the storyline ect. but not as much time look at the first Fallout platformers if youre into that. Realistically though just go for it, the running storyline hasnt got that much depth or carry over, its basically tear up a big wasteland and explore.

Started with FO3 a couple of years after it came out on the 360 for about a tenner just to try it and was hooked on that for 4months straight, NV i started even later as I picked it up for 6 quid.

I'd say if you were starting one of the older ones now youd need some time to play with, if youve got that and want to do it there you go, if youre interested in the storyline ect. but not as much time look at the first Fallout platformers if youre into that. Realistically though just go for it, the running storyline hasnt got that much depth or carry over, its basically tear up a big wasteland and explore.

I might pick this up then without going back to the old games. Unfortunately I haven't got time to burn to be able to go through all of them. Still got MGS that I'm struggling to get round to playing and finishing.

Some decent reviews up with negatives focused on dodgy graphics, being rough around the edges on some gameplay aspects and just being more of the same, not a significant leap forward.

Will purchase once cheap.

Same here. Better to wait for new games so they fix all the broken things.

Some decent reviews up with negatives focused on dodgy graphics, being rough around the edges on some gameplay aspects and just being more of the same, not a significant leap forward.

Will purchase once cheap.

i disagree with those reviews, its amazing on pc. 

I had Fallout 3 and could only play about 3 hours before I got completely sick of it. Is 4 any different?

What bothered me most was that it let you play it as a FPS, but with it being largely designed as a traditional RPG, you could shoot an enemy point blank in the face and it would still come up as a miss half the time by way of hit accuracy percentages (thereby making the FPS gameplay almost redundant, more frustrating that ammo was hard to come by IIRC).

Also collecting items and materials everywhere without really knowing what was useful and what wasn't, and there being a restriction on how much you could carry made it quite a slog

Managed to get about 3/4 hours on this yesterday after work, really enjoying it so far but taking it slowly. A bit overwhelmed with all the armour/gun/power armoutr crafting and settlement building at the minute, but will dedicate a bit of time to all that a bit further down the line.

Tip for new players about how to get your hands on a pretty powerful weapon pretty early on - I stumbled on this mission and was rewarded with this weapon, and it's awesome. Low-level spoilers, so have hidden the link for those who don't want to see:

I had Fallout 3 and could only play about 3 hours before I got completely sick of it. Is 4 any different?

What bothered me most was that it let you play it as a FPS, but with it being largely designed as a traditional RPG, you could shoot an enemy point blank in the face and it would still come up as a miss half the time by way of hit accuracy percentages (thereby making the FPS gameplay almost redundant, more frustrating that ammo was hard to come by IIRC).

Also collecting items and materials everywhere without really knowing what was useful and what wasn't, and there being a restriction on how much you could carry made it quite a slog

Not sure abotu the accuracy thing but it certainly doesnt feel too different from fallout 3. 

everything is useful now, so collect away and break it down into parts for other things you can build, as far as the shooting goes, i think its a huge improvement over the past 2 games, and when i aim for the head, i hit it. i'm pretty sure the accuracy stat goes more for firing in vats. 

Made a start last night. Only played an hour and a half and already i can tell im going to enjoy it. Its very similar to FO3 which i loved. I also started making houses as soon as i got out the vault. Met the dog and now gone to Concord. Im gonna be a nice guy in the game but already ive met a bloke with an awesome weapon that i want to kill and take from him lol. I made my character have high Intelligence as i found that to be a real asset in FO3. Wife is going up town saturday night so im gonna blast this for a good few hours

Looks a cracker this. Best off on PC as always here, the game seems like a extremely polished version of the old engine, its got that same glitchy Bethesda feel but dapper in just about anything else. The crafting is a huge plus on the last ones as the amount of pointless crap laying around can be utilised, individual enemy group bosses and rare loot also a plenty, stuff to do everywhere, weather systems, more mutated animals to blow up and power armor that has some use.

Already planning my starting avatar on it, had B.A.Baracus and Barry Scott on FO3 & NV, I'll try to make a stunning girl or a Leicester player as the character creator throws up some gems after time and refinement, if not I'll have the bog standard and call it D.B.Cooper :D

Looks a cracker this. Best off on PC as always here, the game seems like a extremely polished version of the old engine, its got that same glitchy Bethesda feel but dapper in just about anything else. The crafting is a huge plus on the last ones as the amount of pointless crap laying around can be utilised, individual enemy group bosses and rare loot also a plenty, stuff to do everywhere, weather systems, more mutated animals to blow up and power armor that has some use.

Already planning my starting avatar on it, had B.A.Baracus and Barry Scott on FO3 & NV, I'll try to make a stunning girl or a Leicester player as the character creator throws up some gems after time and refinement, if not I'll have the bog standard and call it D.B.Cooper :D

Vardy :)

everything is useful now, so collect away and break it down into parts for other things you can build, as far as the shooting goes, i think its a huge improvement over the past 2 games, and when i aim for the head, i hit it. i'm pretty sure the accuracy stat goes more for firing in vats. 

Cool, cheers for the input. I'll probably get it soon as I'm definitely not bothered with COD this year, just thinking if I'd play Forza 6 enough if I got it or to go for Fallout 4 first

Did anyone else buy the Pip boy edition to find it was a £60 happy meal toy, cheap and poorly made. It does look great on the stand though.

Loving F4, as someone above said the whole crafting of settlements,weapons,Armour etc is all a bit overwhelming at the start but after a couple of days playing i'm starting to get into the game a lot more. 

There is still bugs with companions who vanish and turn up randomly, few glitches, when having dialog with a npc the camera angles can be facing walls or the back of the npc. 

The good thing is you can obtain high level guns, armour and companions really early and will help you along the way. I found having Dog early meant using a lot of stimpaks on him. I found using other companions used a lot less stimpaks. Be aware you can only have 1 companion at a time, be sure to take any goodies they might be carrying for you.

Overall it is Fallout, yes it has a few flaws but the pro's far out weigh the con's in my opinion. I think the game will really come into its own when the Mods become available in the new year.

Did anyone else buy the Pip boy edition to find it was a £60 happy meal toy, cheap and poorly made. It does look great on the stand though.

Loving F4, as someone above said the whole crafting of settlements,weapons,Armour etc is all a bit overwhelming at the start but after a couple of days playing i'm starting to get into the game a lot more.

There is still bugs with companions who vanish and turn up randomly, few glitches, when having dialog with a npc the camera angles can be facing walls or the back of the npc.

The good thing is you can obtain high level guns, armour and companions really early and will help you along the way. I found having Dog early meant using a lot of stimpaks on him. I found using other companions used a lot less stimpaks. Be aware you can only have 1 companion at a time, be sure to take any goodies they might be carrying for you.

Overall it is Fallout, yes it has a few flaws but the pro's far out weigh the con's in my opinion. I think the game will really come into its own when the Mods become available in the new year.

Quick tip but if you manage to finish the combat sequence you're in the dog will replenish health by itself, it's invincible but just gets 'injured' I made the mistake of using my stimpaks early on but it is a waste to use them on dogmeat

There is a 'glitch' to get the cyrolater gun (need to

be level 18 usually) as soon as you get the dog, if you search on YouTube you will find it but I won't link here

I'm enjoying it so far, I've wandered into a few areas where I've been destroyed because I'm only level 12 but it's been challenging yet fun up until this point, I've only just reached Diamond City the only gripe I have is with the grenades from the enemies, they have unlimited and they seem to be attracted towards the player, apart from that the shooting and crafting has been excellent for me and the element of uncertainty of exploring at night creates a great atmosphere in the game

Edited by zak_lcfc

Finally picked this up today, played about 4 and a half hours so far.

Beautiful looking game, really dont see what people's problems are with the graphics.

Really enjoyed pissing about with the settlement building. Fingers crossed the weather stays like this for a while then i have an excuse to not leave the house.