Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Guest CityFan 06

15k on the East Stand would look immense. Very high up, but would look impressive and like Raw Dykes said it'd be pretty unique too.

If this was to happen, it would bring the capacity to 47k, and that's without Kop or Family expansion. I read it's maximum capacity possible is 55k, not sure now...

So let's get this straight... the East Stand currently holds around 8k and we're going to add 15k to that?

Sorry but having a single stand that holds more than Filbert Street seems a bit implausible.

Also expanding to 47k in one go would be a very rash move...would prefer to add around 7/8k and go from there.

I'd like to think the Thai's will do something a bit different in their approach to this, maybe build a village around the stadium or maybe even look to developing a new state of the art ground entirely.

So let's get this straight... the East Stand currently holds around 8k and we're going to add 15k to that?

Sorry but having a single stand that holds more than Filbert Street seems a bit implausible.

Also expanding to 47k in one go would be a very rash move...would prefer to add around 7/8k and go from there.

I don't think there is actually any evidence supporting that there are any plans to do this.

Guest CityFan 06

If the expansion of 15k is too much for the East Stand, could they half it by expanding the Kop by 7.5k and the East Stand by 7.5k? This would still add up to 15k as an overall expansion, and the capacity would still come to 47k, if indeed that is what the owners would like. 

I know the figure 7.5k isn't an exactly ideal number, but at least there wouldn't be any worries of the East Stand holding 15k.

If the expansion of 15k is too much for the East Stand, could they half it by expanding the Kop by 7.5k and the East Stand by 7.5k? This would still add up to 15k as an overall expansion, and the capacity would still come to 47k, if indeed that is what the owners would like.

I know the figure 7.5k isn't an exactly ideal number, but at least there wouldn't be any worries of the East Stand holding 15k.

I'm sure the architects will figure out the best way to get the desired capacity, without impacting on our safety.

Guest CityFan 06

I'm sure the architects will figure out the best way to get the desired capacity, without impacting on our safety.

Of course. Just another option though, I'd love a double decker Kop.

Would hate to see us move stadium. Not a huge fan of the fact ours currently is an indetakit bowl but moving out of town would crush us.

It wouldn't bother me tbh, traffic is crap in Leicester, so if a new stadium solved that I'd be all for it.

And have a Coventry esque bowl miles from town with no pubs and shops near by but a quick get away? Not for me.

I doubt it would be a quick getaway any stadium holding 30K+ people all leaving at the same time would still result in traffic hold ups especially when you're likely to get even more turning up  in cars.

Stick where we are and get the railway at the back up and running.

No one would want an out of town stadium. The money the City bring in to the city on match days is too important, businesses would lose out, it would finish some, and the council would want this income coming into the city.

So, it was probably a calculated comment about the possibility of moving out of town. Gives the council something to bear in mind when planning permission is sought. Smart move.

**** building a new ground any further out of the city. The location of the current ground is perfect - just far out enough to make it relatively easy to get to but near enough the centre for it to feel connected to the city, the businesses (pubs, bars, restaurants) and the people that live there.

Move it any further out and it becomes disconnected and soulless. It'll be on some crap retail estate - you'll have a choice of ****ing Pizza Hut, KFC and some bullshit chain pub to eat/drink in with no way to get there apart from driving or using the bus.

We've only just got this place up and running properly. Invest the money in the railway and increase the East Stand to 45/47k, whatever it is. 

I can't see a new stadium being at all on the agenda.

They've invested heavily in facilities and renovation of the KP, the atmosphere is second to none, it has a great history after this season's exploits and the fans don't want it. Moreover, much has been made of the fact that we can expand the current stadium - indeed, the owners have spoken about doing so almost from the outset. 

The footprint of the stadium is big enough to expand on the East and South sides at least - which would give a capacity of well over 50,000. 

Even under the very unlikely circumstances that we'd ever need a capacity of more than 50,000 on a regular basis, there's a large expanse of land next to the KP that could be built upon. Spurs are doing the same with WHL.

An out of town stadium, therefore, seems highly unlikely.

Yeah all of it apparently, the previous design would not have required that to have gone I wouldn't have thought

Leicester have not brought the National Grid Refurbish Centre, they have asked to buy it but have been told it's not for sale.

I work there and we heard a couple of weeks ago

Leicester have not brought the National Grid Refurbish Centre, they have asked to buy it but have been told it's not for sale.

I work there and we heard a couple of weeks ago

Haven't  they just spent money on it as well.

Guest CityFan 06

I think there's so much potential for us to really make the KP stadium 'our own.' I do get the feeling that Filbert Way can be established as our proud home, with continued time, and hopefully success.

For me, the stadium has become better pretty much year on year. The owners have, and continue to invest with improvements. UFS were established in 2013 and since then they've renewed our Kop end, with Tifo displays, flags and much more. The club have also improved in terms of creating a unique matchday experience. They have become more active in their attempts of an improved atmosphere for all - giant flags, clap banners etc.

At the moment, fans see the ground as fairly similar and regular to the likes of Stoke, Derby and Southampton. But, with a good expansion, an atmosphere, increased traditions (WYS), then we can see this stadium as a place to be proud of.

Archived