Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Apologies if this has already been posted. Have just been speaking to the workmen on site at the electricity pilons apposite the ground. The say that they been talking about bringing those down for 30 odd years but now are finally doing it. They will be replaced by units that are about 20ft tall and will take up a lot less space. Work has already started but will take 2-3 years to complete. It will make a big difference visually to the site!

Apologies if this has already been posted. Have just been speaking to the workmen on site at the electricity pilons apposite the ground. The say that they been talking about bringing those down for 30 odd years but now are finally doing it. They will be replaced by units that are about 20ft tall and will take up a lot less space. Work has already started but will take 2-3 years to complete. It will make a big difference visually to the site!

It was part of the planning requirement for the Bede Island houses they were also meant to build a bridge across the canal to Eastern Boulevard (now renamed Raw Dykes Rd) but that seems to have been dropped.

Increase in traffic will be a major stumbling block for any expansion, can't see how a big increase would be passed. 

Open up the National Forest / Ivanhoe Railway line with a station  (King Power Stadium) at the back of the Kop - simples. Just needs a few mill.

I heard from a guy who works a lot at the club that Vichai and Top wanted that done as soon as they bought the club, and have been pushing for it ever since.

An additional 15,000 seats on just the East Stand? That would mean three tiers! Foundations already aren't good enough so would need some major work underneath first.

Personally I think the best option right now would be to add 8,000 to the east stand and then (not immediately) around 7,000 to the Kop, joining them up like the Stadium of Light.

An additional 15,000 seats on just the East Stand? That would mean three tiers! Foundations already aren't good enough so would need some major work underneath first.

Personally I think the best option right now would be to add 8,000 to the east stand and then (not immediately) around 7,000 to the Kop, joining them up like the Stadium of Light.

That would sound sensible enough

We definitely need the first phase sorting ASAP

Personally I think the best option right now would be to add 8,000 to the east stand and then (not immediately) around 7,000 to the Kop, joining them up like the Stadium of Light.

He did say the footings that were originally put into the foundations in the car park were going to be used so that wouldn't be an issue

I heard from a guy who works a lot at the club that Vichai and Top wanted that done as soon as they bought the club, and have been pushing for it ever since.

Wouldn't be surprised if Top helped them financially to get on with it. It's been on their things to do list for almost 30yrs! Got to love our owners:)

I had a seat to die for at Filbert street, I now sit in a zoo with just an ok view. I don't really fancy sitting further away from the pitch to accommodate 'supporters' who would drop the club as fast as they found their life time fan status.

Why would your season ticket move becasue they increase the capacity of the ground? 

all new season tickets 5 -10 years to test commitment.

Ridiculous comment - what about all the gold/silver/family members who want to upgrade because games were getting sold out? or poorer fans who could only afford a few games now and then but now have the opportunity to get a ST? what about fans who used to have STs, had to cancel and now have the chance to get a ST again?

The 'plastics' are certainly apparent, what with the 250k at the parade, but at the end of the day if they're willing to buy a £200 ST and put money into the club I don't see why they need your test of commitment. No need for the conflict between our own fans.

Ridiculous comment - what about all the gold/silver/family members who want to upgrade because games were getting sold out? or poorer fans who could only afford a few games now and then but now have the opportunity to get a ST? what about fans who used to have STs, had to cancel and now have the chance to get a ST again?

The 'plastics' are certainly apparent, what with the 250k at the parade, but at the end of the day if they're willing to buy a £200 ST and put money into the club I don't see why they need your test of commitment. No need for the conflict between our own fans.

I don't think its even worth entertaining him tbh 

Guest CityFan 06

I suggested something similar mate, a couple of days ago. I like your thinking, I mean 7k and 8k are more rounder numbers, rather than the 7.5k which I said. I can't make up my mind though which I'd prefer - a potential three tiered East Stand, or two tiered East Stand and Kop. Both either way would look good in my opinion. A three tiered East Stand would add a lot of uniqueness to the stadium.

Posted by LeicsFox06 on 21 May 2016 - 11:25 AM in Leicester City Forum

If the expansion of 15k is too much for the East Stand, could they half it by expanding the Kop by 7.5k and the East Stand by 7.5k? This would still add up to 15k as an overall expansion, and the capacity would still come to 47k, if indeed that is what the owners would like. 

I know the figure 7.5k isn't an exactly ideal number, but at least there wouldn't be any worries of the East Stand holding 15k.

I suggested something similar mate, a couple of days ago. I like your thinking, I mean 7k and 8k are more rounder numbers, rather than the 7.5k which I said. I can't make up my mind though which I'd prefer - a potential three tiered East Stand, or two tiered East Stand and Kop. Both either way would look good in my opinion. A three tiered East Stand would add a lot of uniqueness to the stadium.

Posted by LeicsFox06 on 21 May 2016 - 11:25 AM in Leicester City Forum

If the expansion of 15k is too much for the East Stand, could they half it by expanding the Kop by 7.5k and the East Stand by 7.5k? This would still add up to 15k as an overall expansion, and the capacity would still come to 47k, if indeed that is what the owners would like. 

I know the figure 7.5k isn't an exactly ideal number, but at least there wouldn't be any worries of the East Stand holding 15k.

What? What does that matter? Which is better, 7,000 or 7,314? Whether it's a round number or not has absolutely no bearing on an expansion. 1,000 is a round number. Is 1,000 more seats better than 8,694? Totally irrelevant.

If we're going to expand the East and South stands, then I doubt they'll both get the same number of extra seats, because one is about 1.5 times bigger. The East stand would probably get twice what the Kop gets. Maybe 10k on the East stand and 5k on the Kop.

Personally I'd rather they not make the Kop two tiers but extend around the family stand area and locate the away supporters to the upper tier (like the do at Sunderland).

I feel that with two tier stands noise doesn't travel between the fans as well making chants harder to start and synchronise

If they could design something like this (but bigger obviously) it would look amazing I think 

amex-stadium-brighton-and-hove-albion-fc

The trouble with curved roofs, unless it's a planning thing (like the city ground where terrace housing meant their stand had to drop to single tier at the Bridgford end) you are losing valuable seating space by reducing the roofline, it looks good yes, but it means a smaller capacity when you could go like St Jame's Park and just blank the ends off.

The trouble with curved roofs, unless it's a planning thing (like the city ground where terrace housing meant their stand had to drop to single tier at the Bridgford end) you are losing valuable seating space by reducing the roofline, it looks good yes, but it means a smaller capacity when you could go like St Jame's Park and just blank the ends off.

Agreed. I'm really not a fan of curved rooves at all. Like you say, it's wasteful, and it also makes further expansion more difficult. It seems unlikely that we'd need to expand again, I know, but who's to say what will happen, say, 50 years from now? It's possible that nearly all the glory grabbers in the county will become converts over the next few years. Who knows?

I don't even think they look good, either.

I'd love it if the KP could be more like St. James' Park. Awesome stadium.

I'd love it if the KP could be more like St. James' Park. Awesome stadium.

Great stadium yes, too far away from the pitch though, , both times we've been up there recently I've been back row or the row infront.

If I was a magpie STH that far up I'd want a refund for being in Sunderland while watching the game, too far away to be connected with the pitch.

The 14 flights of stairs didn't bother me, in fact most flights I strided up, but the amount of youngish blokes at the top gasping for air.

Amazing really, they should have defibrillators at the top.

Guest CityFan 06

Agree about Newcastle's ground, top stadium in terms of structure and appearance. Like Raw Dykes said, if the KP could be like that in future years it would be superb. Just done a bit of research, St James holds 52k, and if I recall correctly the KP stadium can be expanded to 55k at max. So the potential is there if we need it to be of that size in the future. To be honest any expansion I feel would be good. For the club, I get the impression it might be a progression of expansions. So, it might start with 40k let's say, then develop into 45k, 50k etc. Consistent success and an persistent PL spot will be key to this.

I heard a rumour today from somebody who is usually spot on that city have bought land in syston for a whole new stadium. Anybody else heard this?

The obvious advantage to building well away from our current location is the lack of affect on seasons leading up to any move. Spurs have to play with one end of the ground knocked down for one season and the following one completely at Wembley. Given the advantage we have from our atmosphere, i suspect the club will want to avoid upsetting that.

also, increasing capacity towards 50k with existing road links and car parking may well not obtain planning approval.

Archived