Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

What's the big deal with traffic ?? So it takes longer to get home. Is that really such a massive issue ?? I'm sure those that are missing out on a momentous era would be more than happy to wait a bit longer in traffic.

I've no idea why fans drive anyway, train for me from my village to town, 15 minutes, no waiting around and free to have a refreshment or two without losing ones licence.

Driving in is the very last resort only for Sunday games when the chuffer doesn't run.

What's the big deal with traffic ?? So it takes longer to get home. Is that really such a massive issue ?? I'm sure those that are missing out on a momentous era would be more than happy to wait a bit longer in traffic.

It's  not the fans that are bothered it's  the council and the affect it has on none fans, it's  also more to do with parking hence Soulsby extending parking restrictions.

I've no idea why fans drive anyway, train for me from my village to town, 15 minutes, no waiting around and free to have a refreshment or two without losing ones licence.

Driving in is the very last resort only for Sunday games when the chuffer doesn't run.

They don't  have trains from where I live and that applies to most fans, buses are ok for getting there but for getting home it's  a nightmare. P&R is very limited and doesn't  go near the ground you even if it did you'd  still have the problems of everyone trying to get home at the same time and you still have to drive.

Except it impacts both directions not just the drive home. My biggest bugbear is getting into the City. It's becoming increasingly frustrating from a parking perspective with a Council that is intent on imposing parking restrictions everywhere. That's based on the existing capacity of 32k. Add another 10-16k on top end of that and it would be virtually impossible to find parking.

If the Council had the foresight to ensure that there were adequate transport links to the ground on a match day, the parking restrictions wouldn't be an issue. Surely common sense dictates that all of the park and ride routes should pass by the ground on a match day. It's not rocket science, I really don't understand what the purpose of the park and ride scheme is in Leicester, it's one of the worst and most under utilised services that I've ever seen in any city.

Without the right transport infrastructure any expansion to the ground would be a complete disaster.

There is a lot of discussion on traffic relating to getting in and out Leicester on a weekend matchday. It's an hour to get in, it takes and hour to get out bla bla.

Try getting in on a Monday morning or getting out on Friday afternoon! The roads are full and shite on any given weekday yet we hear more about the moans of sporting congestion once every other weekend than we do about every working week day.

Some people just want to moan.

There is a lot of discussion on traffic relating to getting in and out Leicester on a weekend matchday. It's an hour to get in, it takes and hour to get out bla bla.

Try getting in on a Monday morning or getting out on Friday afternoon! The roads are full and shite on any given weekday yet we hear more about the moans of sporting congestion once every other weekend than we do about every working week day.

Some people just want to moan.

I don't  think anyone is moaning from their  own perspective just that if anything is going to delay or even scupper  any expansion it'll  be the council  using travel and parking as the reason hence the debate.

They don't have trains from where I live and that applies to most fans, buses are ok for getting there but for getting home it's a nightmare. P&R is very limited and doesn't go near the ground you even if it did you'd still have the problems of everyone trying to get home at the same time and you still have to drive.

I'm aware trains don't go through every village but for those that it does or buses, surely they're better than driving and trying to park up somewhere, usually early to get a good spot and then queue coming out.

Transportation really needs looking at, park and rides are non existent on night games and Sunday's, missing a massive trick there to start with.

I don't think anyone is moaning from their own perspective just that if anything is going to delay or even scupper any expansion it'll be the council using travel and parking as the reason hence the debate.

Can you be on Leicester City council, I'd vote for you

Nothing will change until they implement a proper park and ride, or get the train line to the back of the Kop sorted. Tickets for said transport need to be included in the price of your match ticket, like the German model.

Said it time and again, more on site parking is the WORST possible option.

Asked my brother what he had heard recently down at the ground, nothing really new but I'll put it here anyway.

Nothing is happening this summer now as they want no disruption to our inaugural Champions League campaign but they are looking at two options for next summer.

An expansion at the current site, which has been looked at for some time now or a new 60,000 seat stadium, which obviously would not be in the city.

Asked my brother what he had heard recently down at the ground, nothing really new but I'll put it here anyway.

Nothing is happening this summer now as they want no disruption to our inaugural Champions League campaign but they are looking at two options for next summer.

An expansion at the current site, which has been looked at for some time now or a new 60,000 seat stadium, which obviously would not be in the city.

Expansion

Otherwise relocating out of the city will kill us

Expansion

Otherwise relocating out of the city will kill us

Have both play at the KP when we're shit and no one's interested and the 60k when we're doing will and the bandwagon is overflowing :)

Guest CityFan 06

I'd stay where we are, and expand it to 40-45k. History is being made at the current ground, and probably more to come as well.

Guest CityFan 06

I agree

I really think that we will keep on going

FA Cup anyone?

Or Champions League? :whistle:

Both would be magnificent! As a note though, I do have belief and optimism that this is the start of a magical era for Leicester, and I can envisage more silverware on the way - hopefully anyway.

They won't be reopening the railway to the south of the ground any time soon...

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/175-million-cost-reopening-Leicester-Burton-rail/story-29351749-detail/story.html

I don't see why it has to go faster than 45mph even so £5.6million per mile when the track is already carrying freight.

£175 million cost of reopening Leicester to Burton rail passenger services 'poor value for money'

By danjmartin  |  Posted: June 02, 2016

14442627-large.jpg

The Ivanhoe Line

Hopes of re-opening passenger services on the Leicester to Burton railway line appear to have been dashed by the huge cost involved.

Transport consultants, commissioned by Leicestershire County Council, have examined the case for running passenger trains along the 31-mile Ivanhoe line and concluded it could cost up to £175 million to upgrade the track as required.

Passengers services, through Ashby and Coalville, ceased in 1964.

The £55,000 consultants report said the £5.6 million per mile cost would not represent good value for money as it would also need a £4 million annual public subsidy.

Conservative-led County Hall says it would be unable to attract Government funding for the line and there is no realistic prospect that Network Rail would fund it or that it could be secured as part of the £50 billion HS2 rail scheme.

The existing freight track has a 45 mph speed limit and raising that would be prohibitively costly.

However North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen, a supporter of reopening the line, said he was not ready to accept the report.

He said: "Ever since I became an MP I have been used civil servants telling me why things can't be done."It's like Yes Minister - or No Minister in this case.

"I am going to show the report to some rail experts in the private sector to see if they can come up with more innovative ways of doing this.

"When civil servants price these projects up they generally come up with something three times the cost."

According to the report, the route also cannot be justified in economic terms, generating £340,000 of economic benefit per year for an such investment.

County Hall cabinet member for transport councillor Peter Osborne said: "I support the idea of getting more people off the roads and onto trains – but this report shows that revamping the Leicester-Burton line for passenger services represents very poor value for money.

"Under our current circumstances, the council cannot afford it and we can't see anyone else funding it, either."

The consultants say to attract enough passengers to operate the service without subsidy, the 60,000 households along the line would have to increase by up to an additional 206,000 houses, depending on the level of service.

There are no existing plans for house-building in the area on such a scale.

Under the Department for Transport's business case terms, all the options tested would represent very poor value for money and therefore unable to attract Government funding.

The report does look at running a tram service along the line but such a service would need to run right into town centres and Leicester city centre.

The report recommends that the county council carries out no further investigatory work on the scheme.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/175-million-cost-reopening-Leicester-Burton-rail/story-29351749-detail/story.html#ixzz4AQf8k799 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

I don't see why it has to go faster than 45mph even so £5.6million per mile when the track is already carrying freight.

All a bit chicken and egg really. How could the towns along the route be expected to allow that level of development without having the security of that transport infrastructure to cope with it first?

All a bit chicken and egg really. How could the towns along the route be expected to allow that level of development without having the security of that transport infrastructure to cope with it first?

Builders go where land is cheap and it would become cheaper alongside a railway, towns would become more attractive the better the transport links.

Loghboro', Hinckley, Mkt Harboro  and Melton have grown significantly I'd take some convincing that the presence of a railway station hadn't greatly influenced that.

If the massive amounts being proposed for the HS2 can be justified on anticipated economic growth then surely it applies to other rail links.

A massive programme of development of railway stations and surrounding land will deliver thousands of new homes and jobs and significantly boost local growth, the Communities Secretary announced today (10 April 2016).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/regeneration-of-stations-set-to-deliver-thousands-of-new-properties-and-jobs

....and that's just regenerating stations.

Archived