Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Agreed. Players come and go, the teams fortunes rise and fall but infrastructure lasts generations. 10 years ago we couldn't afford a tin of beans, 10 years from now it might be the same again. Now we have money and sponsorship opportunities we could not have dreamt of before. Let's cash in!

FYI Ashby is lovely but the public transport links to Northwest Leicestershire are totally shabby. The nearest Railway station is in Loughborough..... 

I think as a club, an expansion to the stadium will take us to that next level of stature. I know ultimately you've got to win trophies, but to me expanding the stadium to 40k+ is setting ourselves on a high level, allowing for our wanted destiny of winning trophies, big european nights, and success. With an even bigger fanbase to allow for this too. We would be setting our ambitions high for the future to become a bigger club. We're not small by any means, but I do feel we can take ourselves to the next level, and establish ourselves as a bigger club.

Like I mentioned above, for the actual expansion, I've come to the idea that I'd like us to expand the Family and Kop stands, and have two proper home ends. Would look superb IMO and the ground would create itself some own uniqueness. 

I couldn't agree more with these two posts, money and players come and go. We were in League One eight years a go and we might even end up there in eight years time, who knows? 

We need to have something to show for it at the very least and infrastructure lasts for decades. We need to build our stadium and develop as a club and pull away long term from base level mid sized clubs like Forest, Derby, Stoke, Southampton, etc.

Guest CityFan 06

I couldn't agree more with these two posts, money and players come and go. We were in League One eight years a go and we might even end up there in eight years time, who knows? 

We need to have something to show for it at the very least and infrastructure lasts for decades. We need to build our stadium and develop as a club and pull away long term from base level mid sized clubs like Forest, Derby, Stoke, Southampton, etc.

That's it Gerard. Now's the time to expand the club's stature and stadium for the future ahead, we're in a prime position in terms of league success, foundations and income, plus much more. As you said, at the moment, we're about level in club size to the likes of Derby, Stoke and Southampton etc but I feel an expansion could take us to the next level of stature. As I mentioned in the original post, we'd be setting ourselves high for success in the future, trophies, europe etc. Allowing for growth of the fanbase at home matches too. 

If we can't look to expand the stadium by 10k now after being Premier League Champions And Entereting the Champions League then I don't know what will make this happen.

We have 1000's of fan missing out on attending as demand is outwaying supply massively.

Strike now, massive PL money and extra CL money next season so it won't be a problem financially.

Also, progressing to the 40k+ stadium with our fantastic atmosphere we have created,will also help any potential new signings to know we mean business and try to set our ambitions higher than the average teams within this league

If we can't look to expand the stadium by 10k now after being Premier League Champions And Entereting the Champions League then I don't know what will make this happen.

We have 1000's of fan missing out on attending as demand is outwaying supply massively.

Strike now, massive PL money and extra CL money next season so it won't be a problem financially.

Also, progressing to the 40k+ stadium with our fantastic atmosphere we have created,will also help any potential new signings to know we mean business and try to set our ambitions higher than the average teams within this league

Totally agree buddy

Let's get this done City

It's clear though, no matter when we start now, we'll have the 16/17 and 17/18 season at current capacity - and if we want any more by 18/19 we're going to have to start sooner rather than later.

This, and by the 2018/19 season comes round we could be back in mid table and demand could have dropped off massively. It's still a big risk but one that needs to be taken imo. 

Having just been on the against side of a local planning application here in Scotland it feels like these applications don't go through very quickly.

I'm going to guess the plans are currently being drawn up and an application will be in soon, with a view for a new tier in place for August 2017.

Anything sooner would just be crazy in terms of building timelines.

I am not the worlds expert on corporation tax but our profits are going to explode in the next 12 months. Surely it would be better to invest in capital projects and players/etc than pay loads of money in tax... Time to invest, short and long term gain!!

I am not the worlds expert on corporation tax but our profits are going to explode in the next 12 months. Surely it would be better to invest in capital projects and players/etc than pay loads of money in tax... Time to invest, short and long term gain!!

SOMEBODY CALL DAVID CONN!! There's a scoop for him here.

You're quite right thats why the expansion or even a new stadium will be now 

Agree! We need more seats!

So, to confirm...King Power Holdings own all of the stadium, its surrounding land, all of the land behind the Hotel and Bar, the land to the south of the Grid building closest to the East stand and all of its surrounding land and also they own a decent sized strip all the way from the south of the grid building to Aylestone Road (in line with the bridge/graffiti bit). Its obvious the intention is to buy the lonely Grid building and it WILL happen.

Expand the East stand, develop the above land mentioned and create another access route from Aylestone Road to the Kop/East stand area.

Expand the Kop to match the new East stand for a total capacity of around 45-48K.

And what about the Rail line, is that used at all?

So, to confirm...King Power Holdings own all of the stadium, its surrounding land, all of the land behind the Hotel and Bar, the land to the south of the Grid building closest to the East stand and all of its surrounding land and also they own a decent sized strip all the way from the south of the grid building to Aylestone Road (in line with the bridge/graffiti bit). Its obvious the intention is to buy the lonely Grid building and it WILL happen.

Expand the East stand, develop the above land mentioned and create another access route from Aylestone Road to the Kop/East stand area.

Expand the Kop to match the new East stand for a total capacity of around 45-48K.

And what about the Rail line, is that used at all?

Only for freight but would cost a few mill to make it suitable for passengers.

The big problem with it according to the Councils is the day to day running cost/num.ber of passengers which they reckon will lead to it making losses.

However pressure groups disagree with this (not exactly a new situation) and believe the Councils just lack the will and are over complicated any reviews

Well something along those lines

From the Merc 2015

9698669-large.jpg
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Andrew Allen, policy analyst at the Campaign for Better Transport

Comments (2)

Could the time finally be right to reopen the Leicester to Burton-on-Trent railway? There have been numerous attempts to reintroduce passenger services to the line, known variously as the National Forest or Ivanhoe line, which runs via Ashby and Coalville. All have foundered on a lack of cash and political will needed to get the scheme up and running. There are encouraging signs that both may finally be available.

The economic case for the line is strong – and getting stronger. The population and jobs market of north west Leicestershire is growing. The road network is important to this, with transport, logistics and storage sectors all well represented. But there are both practical and environmental reasons why an alternative to more road building is now needed.

Rail is notable mainly by its absence. Re-establishing passenger services on the 30-mile stretch of line would bring a combined population of nearly 100,000 on to the rail network for the first time since the 1960s, improving access to employment throughout the area, bringing Leicester's shopping and leisure services within easier reach, as well as reducing pressure on the existing road network.

While campaigners have long made the case for the line to be reopened, political support has been more fractured. In the past, Leicestershire County Council has been against the plan, with research undertaken in 2008 suggesting the line would cost in the region of £50 million to reopen and then require a significant annual subsidy to operate it.

•  

But things are changing. Local politicians have a pragmatic eye on HS2 as a trigger for funding. The line of argument goes that if the new high-speed line is to carve through Leicestershire, then the least national Government should be offering in return is financial support for a reopened National Forest line to get communities on to the rail network.

There is also good reasons to think previous assessments of the National Forest line underplayed its potential. Rail is growing fast. Passenger journeys on regional rail routes like that envisaged for the line have increased nearly 16 per cent since 2009, helping the economic case greatly. Other assumptions, such as the lack of demand for weekend services, also appear flawed when one considers how strongly leisure journeys by rail have grown.

The county council now needs to learn from successful reopening campaigns elsewhere in the country. The first step should be to work alongside the Local Economic Partnership on a new assessment of the National Forest Line.

This needs to consider the wider benefits to communities and the economy that reopening the line would bring. With this in place, it's not impossible to imagine plans for the reintroduction of services forming part of discussions over the next East Midlands Trains franchise next year.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Person-s-time-Ivanhoe-line-track/story-26206350-detail/story.html#ixzz49rvyIPB8 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Weekends it could be used by 1000s of footy and rugby fans. You could also move all the away fans from London Rd Station to the stadium by train.

Guest CityFan 06

That's the only thing about an expansion. I'm all for it but there is still the issue of increased traffic, after games in particular. Already with a 32k capacity, some matchdays it can take up to an hour or more to get out of Leicester with queues etc (depending on where you park of course). Not quite sure what could be done about this. However, to reiterate, I am still for an expansion, as it means we are developing as a club and more fans can get to games which is good.

That's the only thing about an expansion. I'm all for it but there is still the issue of increased traffic, after games in particular. Already with a 32k capacity, some matchdays it can take up to an hour or more to get out of Leicester with queues etc (depending on where you park of course). Not quite sure what could be done about this. However, to reiterate, I am still for an expansion, as it means we are developing as a club and more fans can get to games which is good.

Whatever you do expansion or new build getting 40k+ plus people form a single place at the same time will always be a struggle.

The one thing you can be fairly sure of they'll be significantly more cars going to an out of town location.

Guest CityFan 06

Whatever you do expansion or new build getting 40k+ plus people form a single place at the same time will always be a struggle.

The one thing you can be fairly sure of they'll be significantly more cars going to an out of town location.

Yep true. To be honest I think Leicester will notice the difference in traffic with an expansion, given it's not a massive city. Still, like you said, anywhere in Leicester with 40k+ people in one location, will always cause a degree of congestion. I think it would take us time to settle in and become accustomed with increased traffic, but in the long term for the club and the people of Leicester, it would be a worthwhile investment. 

Yep true. To be honest I think Leicester will notice the difference in traffic with an expansion, given it's not a massive city. Still, like you said, anywhere in Leicester with 40k+ people in one location, will always cause a degree of congestion. I think it would take us time to settle in and become accustomed with increased traffic, but in the long term for the club and the people of Leicester, it would be a worthwhile investment.

It's absolutely vital to increase the stadium capacity in my opinion

That's if we are to kick on a gear anyway

What's the big deal with traffic ?? So it takes longer to get home. Is that really such a massive issue ?? I'm sure those that are missing out on a momentous era would be more than happy to wait a bit longer in traffic.

Archived