Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Guus Hiddink

The whole Hiddink story to me appears to be about a man in desperate need for a final payday, pushed and promoted by his friends and allies (including the press).

In many ways reminiscent of the Eriksson saga.

He's not taking the job so that theory doesn't hold water.

I'm not against someone unproven. It's pretty clear we're not going to get someone with a great track record and i would rather someone unproven than someone with notable failures on their CV.

Worked for Swansea.

Just because we havent appointed some one after a week doesn't mean we didn't have targets, Hiddink was linked with us pretty quickly. Whether people liked that target or not is immaterial.

Don't forget one of the reasons Pearson left first time around was because Sousa was sitting in the directors box on his last match. Planning for the future didn't help then.

Yes we may have had a list, as I've already said. But, history points to us not planning properly.

You seem to be missing the point of scouting managers who will fit in your system and confusing it with a list of 5 managers they have heard of, with completely different styles.

Just because we havent appointed some one after a week doesn't mean we didn't have targets, Hiddink was linked with us pretty quickly. Whether people liked that target or not is immaterial.

Don't forget one of the reasons Pearson left first time around was because Sousa was sitting in the directors box on his last match. Planning for the future didn't help then.

That was a show-off and a bad move by the board of directors (read: the owners) at the time. They could've sealed a deal behind closed doors, without leaking the info to the press or the general audience that way.

In any case, announcing a manager as early as possible certainly has its advantages, especially with regards to pre-season. The more weeks are passing by without a man at the top, the less likely it is the team will be able to instill the new footballing philosophy.

He's not taking the job so that theory doesn't hold water.

Hence my post a bit further down.

I guess it depends on the expected lifecycle of your coach, in terms of how much scouting you should do of your next manager.  As long as it is done openly then it shouldn't affect the current manager in terms of credibility.

Well Hiddink isn't just interested in increasing his retirement fund.  Or if he is we were not prepared to meet his demands.

It's going to be Lennon though isn't it.  Get rid of one angry, dour man and get another one in.  It's our very own Southampton style consistency...

sousa came in and wanted to bring a different dimesion to a squad who did not have football  minded central defenders at the time, for as much as i loved the morrison hobbs pairing it wasnt ideal for the sousa style so he brought in moreno and vitor who needed time to settle and in the championship you just dont get that time. i admire sousa as a manager but it didnt work for him here with the players he had inherited

Well that's one thing but all of a sudden they weren't fit and couldn't defend set-pieces or crosses of any kind either.

And it's all very well passing it beautifully in your own half, different story when we actually got in the opposing half.

Moreno wasn't even a centre back yet he played him there, one of the many dreadful team selections which made us look relegation fodder.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a potential replacement for the manager IF he happens to leave should be in the directors box for a match involving said manager. That's not planning for the future, that's trying to push a manager out.

If you're sacking someone at the time we sacked Pearson you better be damn sure you have a favoured replacement and that this person will join you.

As it happens, whatever the process, it's clear we've sacked a manager without a good enough plan to ensure a) we have an upgrade as 1st choice and b) the first choice is interested.

That is poor going. It's time people stopped defending the owners no matter how farcical their decisions are.

Yes we may have had a list, as I've already said. But, history points to us not planning properly.

You seem to be missing the point of scouting managers who will fit in your system and confusing it with a list of 5 managers they have heard of, with completely different styles.

It depends on why you're changing your manager. If Pearson had been sacked in January would you really want a continuity manager?

Excellent, now we can move on from him. Personally I do hope we approach Ranieri, nothing against Lennon personally but he does lack the credentials to improve us whereby Ranieri has experience at top clubs.

Obviously it would be better to have a top manager appointed as soon as possible. Life's not that simple though.

'That's life'. That's a great excuse from what's supposed to be a professional outfit.

If you're going to sack a manager in pre-season, when everyone is optimistic, while transfers are being made and just before the players are back for training, you make sure you get a better manager in as soon as possible. No excuses, that's what they need to do.

Excellent, now we can move on from him. Personally I do hope we approach Ranieri, nothing against Lennon personally but he does lack the credentials to improve us whereby Ranieri has experience at top clubs.

I don't want a been around the block and done nothing for years aged manager.

This is the man we need, if we can't get the German Klopp let's get the French one.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2291796/jocelyn-gourvennec-guingamps-answer-to-jurgen-klopp

Obviously it would be better to have a top manager appointed as soon as possible. Life's not that simple though.

Of course, you're right. But this isn't just "life", it's football, a world following a certain set of rules - and you can overcomplicate it all by not planning ahead early enough. Which to me seems to be the case here.

It depends on why you're changing your manager. If Pearson had been sacked in January would you really want a continuity manager?

We didn't need an overhaul of the club in January, we merely needed someone to say we're going to play our best players and we're going to play positively.

The club was still in a strong position, our philosophy for bringing in players was satisfactory, we had a good group of players overall, it was just our style of play on the pitch letting us down. So yes.

Archived