Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan LCFC

Football Manager 2016

To be fair, some of the games are fixed. I am absolutely certain of it.

Narh games aren't fixed but sometimes team talks and press conferences have more influence than they should.

But all good runs have to come to an end somewhere and usually it'll be because your team just don't perform and you're left feeling aggrieved.

Narh games aren't fixed but sometimes team talks and press conferences have more influence than they should.

But all good runs have to come to an end somewhere and usually it'll be because your team just don't perform and you're left feeling aggrieved.

I think some games, no matter what you do, you will blow it. A 32 year old centre half pulling out an overhead kick right at the end to steal a win for an awful side away at you after you've dominated is not happening by chance. Sorry. No way. Shit like that happens far too often for it not to be the case.

But that's football.

How do you think Man City felt when Tevez and co were completely upstaged by Sol Bamba making a ridiculous goal scoring debut with a brace?

Vardy had been bang average before he rampaged all over United last year from 3-1 down.

Football is surprising or we'd never watch it.

One thing that annoys me - and a lot of various things have been covered in here recently - but I always lose to teams who never win. Like I played Birmingham who were bottom, they get battered by everyone and always concede at least three goals, yet they beat me.

But what makes it worse, is that its so obvious when itll happen. Like its blatant.

Of course all good runs have to come to an end, but not in the circumstances the game makes them happen.

With the Messi as a "defensive forward" being his best position discussion, i just thought id read the description of what a "defensive forward" on the game does, and then its up to people to decide if this fits Messi the player.

The game recommends you play him in the trequartista or false 9 type positions which i would agree with. But the people with the magical win 5-0 every game tactics put him as a defensive forward.

This is twaddle and you would never ordinarily put him in that position. Especially not given the game backs you up:

DEFENSIVE FORWARD

"The defensive forward is becoming more and more important in the game. His main duty is to put pressure on the defensive line, chase down the man in possession and loose balls and generally stop the opposition defense having any time on the ball. In an attacking sense, he keeps things as simple as possible, preferring to bring others into the game rather than create his own chances."

"With a defend duty, the defensive forward will stay a little deeper and put pressure on defensive midfielders. With a support duty, the defensive forward will pressure the back line and put pressure on central defenders".

When you select a player in this position, his "default" attributes (ones that cant change are):

• Fewer risky passes (he would play lots of risky passes to try and open up the defense)
  • Close down more (possibly so)
  • Tackle harder (Messi does not tackle hard and thats a fact)
  • Hold position (absolute nonsense. He would pop up absolutely anywhere he would create chances and leave his starting position which would be on the right, and moving in on his left foot.)

His Key attributes when highlighted are:

• Aggression (what?)
  • Anticipation (yes)
  • Bravery (what?)
  • Concentration (yes)
  • Positioning (possibly, but if meant in the sense of holding a position absolutely not)
  • Determination (yes to an extent)
  • Work rate (yes to an extent)
  • Stamina (no)
  • Strength (no)

Where is the mention of passing? dribbling? vision? finishing? balance? long shots? acceleration?

Who thinks of Messi and thinks the stereotypical aggressive, brave, close down like a mad man Vardy player in the channels? No one.

Where it gets even more bizarre, is guidetofootballmanager discusses the successful traits of each position and recommends a defensive forward should:

• Play no through balls (the daftest of the lot when it comes to Messi of all people)
  • Dive into tackles (Messi diving into tackles???)
  • Plays with back to goal (he runs at defenders, he is not Steve Howard)
  • Stops play (what?)

How can this possibly be Messi's most effective role on the game?

If it is, then all of the positions on the game and the attributes are completely irrelevant. All the attributes Messi is best at are completely ignored, for things he is absolute cack at like tough tackling and holding the ball up with his back to goal.

I've read back to make sure I'm not cracking up, you do seem to be getting confused between a deep lying forward and a defensive forward. Given they're literally the opposite of each other, this really goes some way to explaining the fact you're shit at this game.

I genuinely try and not be harsh but you're either deliberately trolling and I'm absolutely biting or you're just really crap at this pal.

A deep lying forward is a creative player, a classic number 10, Messi all day long. They basically created the role for Messi just as they created the Raumdeuter with Muller in mind and I actually believe Vardy was a big part of the inspiration behind them making the defensive forward which is what he is.

I've read back to make sure I'm not cracking up, you do seem to be getting confused between a deep lying forward and a defensive forward. Given they're literally the opposite of each other, this really goes some way to explaining the fact you're shit at this game.

I genuinely try and not be harsh but you're either deliberately trolling and I'm absolutely biting or you're just really crap at this pal.

A deep lying forward is a creative player, a classic number 10, Messi all day long. They basically created the role for Messi just as they created the Raumdeuter with Muller in mind and I actually believe Vardy was a big part of the inspiration behind them making the defensive forward which is what he is.

Why crack up at me? im agreeing with YOU

Im not confused at all, i told you at the beginning of the post he would be good for a trequartista position.

Ive seen other forums of people winning games regularly 5 and 6 nil and a few had Messi in a defensive forward role.

Ive been playing the football manager / championship manager series for years, ive watched football for years, believe me i know what a number 10 is and what a defensive forward is. Im not trolling.

I play wing backs and two false nines and have loads of joy with it this year. Granted it was mostly me getting the right hump and pissing about with roles until something stuck but I'd rather that than stealing someones tactics online. Might aswell watch a Let's Play if you're going to use someone elses tactic. No satisfaction.

Defensive Forward - Defend

Shinji Okazaki

Drops deep when we don't have the ball to pressure the DMs.

Defensive Forward - Support

Jamie Vardy

Pressures and harasses the defenders. Chases lost causes.

Messi is ideally a false 9/deep-lying forward/trequarista player when played as a striker. Basically a playmaking forward.

Saying that, how would you say Ranieri has us playing? I'll have a crack

Counter - Balanced

Schmeichel - Sweeper Keeper Defend

Simpson - Full Back Support

Fuchs - Full Back Support

Huth - Limited Defender Defend

Morgan - Limited Defender Defend

Mahrez - wide playmaker attack

Drinkwater - Central Midfielder support

Kante - ball winning midfielder support

Albrighton - Winger support

Vardy - defensive forward support

Okazaki - defensive forward defend

Defensive Forward - Defend

Shinji Okazaki

Drops deep when we don't have the ball to pressure the DMs.

Defensive Forward - Support

Jamie Vardy

Pressures and harasses the defenders. Chases lost causes.

Messi is ideally a false 9/deep-lying forward/trequarista player when played as a striker. Basically a playmaking forward.

Saying that, how would you say Ranieri has us playing? I'll have a crack

Counter - Balanced

Schmeichel - Sweeper Keeper Defend

Simpson - Full Back Support

Fuchs - Full Back Support

Huth - Limited Defender Defend

Morgan - Limited Defender Defend

Mahrez - wide playmaker attack

Drinkwater - Central Midfielder support

Kante - ball winning midfielder support

Albrighton - Winger support

Vardy - defensive forward support

Okazaki - defensive forward defend

limited defenders just smash the ball away all of the time, Huth and Morgan don't aimlessly hoof it. That midfield pairing is too aggressive as well

Leicester City's remarkable rise to the Premier League may have been stalled somewhat with defeat at Arsenal on Sunday, but Claudio Ranieri's men remain two points clear at the top of the table.

Twelve months ago, Leicester were fighting for survival and were in last place. Now, they're on course for perhaps the most unlikely league title in history.

It's been some turn around by the Midlands club, featuring largely the same group of players - plus some astute summer signings, such as Shinji Okazaki and N'Golo Kante.

In contrast, big spending Manchester City are six points behind, having suffered back-to-back losses to top four rivals Leicester and Spurs.

So how do the high-flying Foxes valuations look, after an unbelievable season from Ranieri's men? How much has their collective worth risen? And in comparison, what of Manuel Pellegrini's fourth-placed side?

Mirror Football, with help from our friends at Football Manager, take a look at how both teams would be valued now, if the game was real life...

GettyMan City V LeicesterRiding high: Leicester's season has been simply amazing

AFP/GettyDavid Silva celebrates with team matesTricky situation: But how would City's valuation look, given FM's metrics?

How do Football Manager work out player values?

Tom Davidson, Football Analyst for Sports Interactive, explains:

"Understandably, most fans tend to judge a player’s value on what they have seen over the past few months and that is predominantly where FM’s valuation differs. We take a more long-term view on a player’s valuation.

"In FM, player value is calculated using a range of factors within the game. The most important of these are: the player’s ability and reputation, the value and remaining time left on their contract, their career history and the importance of that player to their team.

"So, for example, Mahrez, Vardy and Kante are all worth significantly more than the other players in the Leicester squad because of their importance to the team and their performances this season.

Action Images via Reuters / Jason CairnduffDavid Silva scores the fourth goal for Manchester CityReputation: Silva's proven himself over a sustained period of time

READ MORE: Premier League title race - How the top four are set

"Yet, they are only worth a fraction of David Silva’s value because he has demonstrated his ability consistently over previous seasons, has a much higher value contract and is an important player for City.

"Similarly, a player like Iheanacho who has bags of potential is only valued at £2.2million because he has yet to demonstrate that ability consistently enough to be valued more highly."

Leicester

Key men... Unsurprisingly, it's the Foxes three star men who enjoy the biggest increase in their transfer value: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and Kante .

Kante, valued at £7.25million at the start of the season, is currently valued at a massive £24million, while 19-goal Vardy stands at a similar figure. having been valued £250k more initially. That's a percentage increase of 231 and 220 per cent respectively.

Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via GettyJamie Vardy scores from the penalty spot to make it 0-1Thwack: Vardy smashes home a penalty at the Emirates

AFP/GettyN'Golo Kante vies with Alexis SanchezPlaudits: Kante is coming in for widespread praise

READ MORE: The changing face of Claudio Ranieri

The biggest increase however, unsurprisingly, is Algerian Mahrez, who has 14 goals and 10 assists in a sensational campaign; no player in the Premier League has played a bigger direct hand in goals scored than the winger, having either scored or assisted half of the Foxes' goals.

Given his burgeoning reputation and performances over the last six months, the 24-year-old has seen his value increase by a mammoth 307 PER CENT.

GettyMan City V LeicesterDelivered: Mahrez has had a hand in half of Leicester's goals

Riyad Mahrez valuation

£6.5m

Starting value

£26.5m

Current value

% Increase

How about the others... Others to rise substantially are Jeffrey Schlupp (2.8million to £9million), Austrian defender Christian Fuchs (£4.5million to £11million).

Also midfielder Danny Drinkwater , tipped for an England call up next month, has seen his £7.25million valuation hit £13million.

Any surprises... Kasper Schmeichel has arguably been the best goalkeeper in the Premier League this term but the Dane's value has only risen by £1.5million (£5.75million to £7.25million); that's despite the level of his performances and the rise in reputation, now Denmark's No.1 keeper.

Shinji Okazaki , the Japanese forward signed in the summer who has done well playing behind Vardy, is one of two players from the 17 elected to see their valutations drop; Gokhan Inler is the other, shedding 61.9 per cent of his value (£10.5million down to £4million).

limited defenders just smash the ball away all of the time, Huth and Morgan don't aimlessly hoof it. That midfield pairing is too aggressive as well

That's fair enough. Morgan and Huth as Central Defenders Defend then. I thought of Kante as defend ball winner but he wins the ball all over the pitch so chose support. Maybe Albrighton as a defensive winger too? I don't think so though. I feel as we are counter mentality it negates the aggressive supporting roles. How would you set us out if you were trying to get us to play like Ranieri's methods?

If you ever think you've gotten too into the game, then just think it could be worse, you could be me, who has just gone to the effort of switching Krasnodar and Kuban Krasnodar's badges around because you noticed they had each others on my badge pack.

Ah dear.

I play wing backs and two false nines and have loads of joy with it this year. Granted it was mostly me getting the right hump and pissing about with roles until something stuck but I'd rather that than stealing someones tactics online. Might aswell watch a Let's Play if you're going to use someone elses tactic. No satisfaction.

Just switched to wing backs in a 352 and won 1-0 away from home. Good times. Just hope it's consistent now. 

442 was superb for me untill I lost Milik.. I messed up a bit in the summer.

I tend to play 4-2-3-1, with a DM alongside a CM in the middle and in front of them, three skillfull attacking mids.

I keep the ball on the floor, play a short game and work the ball into the box with a speedy striker up top.

For Man City, I got rid of quite a few of them. ..Bony, Toure, Fernando, Fernandino all got sold and I replaced them with Gabriel Barbosa, Mahrez and Kevin Strootman. I also brought in the fella from AC Milan...central defender (Romagnoli) and he's got better and better playing alongside Kompany.

We've done well...won the title first season and semis of the Champions League, losing to Barcelona.

As the game goes on, look out for Ante Coric (can't think where I signed him from though) and Youri Tielemans from Anderlecht, amongst many others of course. James Ward Prowse is always worth a go too. Great with the dead ball and becomes a good captain. The Saints usually let him go for around 20-25 million.

Albrighton's corner rating is 16 - by far the highest in my squad - yet he cannot ever beat the first man.

THIS. It's so frustrating.

Doing pretty well at the start of my 3rd season and was in 4th after a few games. And then my centre back scores an own goal in the last 5 minutes in consecutive games... Wtf?

Archived