Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Charles Aranguiz

That latest article says Aranguiz didn't rule out the Premier League at the meeting today and that we might be offering a stack load of cash up front.

Maybe I was premature to say this would never happen.

I'd still be amazed if it does.

I'm a little surprised by anyone who thinks this is unlikely, to be honest.

As good a buy as I think he'd buy for us, he's Charles Aranguiz not Neymar. Over half of the forum probably didn't know he was when his name first popped up and the only other club interested in Bayer Leverkusen, who don't think he's worth £10m, which really isn't a lot in the current market, even for a club on the continent.

He's twenty six, he's spent his entire career in South America, he's only really made much of a name for himself since the WC and subsequent CopAm and despite apparent scouting from Chelsea and co, the big boys aren't all that tempted.

If he wants to put himself in the shop window then he needs to be in Europe and the Premiership is the most watched league in the world. I don't buy for one moment that he'd rather stay at Inter than come to Leicester for five or six times the wages. He's at a point in his career/life where he needs to back himself to impress and put himself in the shop window. The Brazilian league isn't the shop window.

Sign for Leicester, put a shift in, have a good season, we sell him on for double the money next summer. He wins, we win, we buy the next Charles Aranguiz and move on.

I'd absolutely hold out for Bayer if I was him but if they're not going to meet the valuation for him, at the end of the day, the guy's a professional and I'm sure he'll take his career upwards - which is here. We don't sell LCFC the club, we sell the Premier League and the owners' wallets. It's mercenary but that's modern football, sorry.

I'd say that pretty much rules out staying with Inter then

Inter want the money, he wants the career.

As long as we don't upset or offend him in the negotiations, he'll be our player unless Bayer make an offer Inter are happy with.

I think it's realistic that Inter/DIS will accept an offer fractionally smaller than ours if it makes Aranguiz happy but if we're talking a £5m+ difference, I'm sorry, but that's a lot of money in Brazilian football. He'll come here.

What we also haven't talked about yet is that £10.5m+ isn't actually THAT much for a marquee signing, for us. I'm sure we'd stretch to £15m-20m if we were that desperate for him and I think that'd actually blow Bayer out of negotiations.

Not entirely. Before it seemed Leicester wasn't an option, now it seems staying at his current club isn't an option.

Of course if Bayer stump up, it's all over.

Leicester was always an option.

People need to seriously stop taking badly translated Twitter quotes and media interviews literally.

It's called negotiation. Of course he's not going to say "oh yeah, sure, I'll go to Leicester" - he's trying to hold the club to ransom just the same as they're trying to force him to come here.

It's business.

I'm a little surprised by anyone who thinks this is unlikely, to be honest.

As good a buy as I think he'd buy for us, he's Charles Aranguiz not Neymar. Over half of the forum probably didn't know he was when his name first popped up and the only other club interested in Bayer Leverkusen, who don't think he's worth £10m, which really isn't a lot in the current market, even for a club on the continent.

He's twenty six, he's spent his entire career in South America, he's only really made much of a name for himself since the WC and subsequent CopAm and despite apparent scouting from Chelsea and co, the big boys aren't all that tempted.

If he wants to put himself in the shop window then he needs to be in Europe and the Premiership is the most watched league in the world. I don't buy for one moment that he'd rather stay at Inter than come to Leicester for five or six times the wages. He's at a point in his career/life where he needs to back himself to impress and put himself in the shop window. The Brazilian league isn't the shop window.

Sign for Leicester, put a shift in, have a good season, we sell him on for double the money next summer. He wins, we win, we buy the next Charles Aranguiz and move on.

I'd absolutely hold out for Bayer if I was him but if they're not going to meet the valuation for him, at the end of the day, the guy's a professional and I'm sure he'll take his career upwards - which is here. We don't sell LCFC the club, we sell the Premier League and the owners' wallets. It's mercenary but that's modern football, sorry.

I don't necessarily disagree with much of that. My main reason for remaining dubious over this is how complicated it seems to be with the third-party ownership etc.

That's mainly down to badly-translated quotes from tweets I suppose, but the whole situation has been communicated to us like that. I don't think it's as simple as some people are making out and I can't believe that this would go down to deadline day with no raised or new offer from anyone competing with us.

Archived