Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City1884

Missed opportunities?

I've been reviewing the completed transfers for this summer window so far, and it really has got me thinking.

Ok, some of these players may not play in the positions that we seem to need to urgently strengthen, (ie central midfield) but to me, they are definitely players that would have improved our side.

The first four, were all free transfers or loan signings, whilst the last two were alternatives to the £12m bid for Charlie Austin. Could and should we have challenged these clubs for their signatures? And is there anyone else that has moved elsewhere that you feel we may have missed a great opportunity to sign?

Andre Ayew (25yo) - Free Transfer to Swansea

Maarten Stekelenburg (32) - Loan to Southampton (Competition for Kasper)

Marco Van Ginkel (22) - Loan to Stoke City

ibrahim Afellay (29) - Free Transfer(?) to Stoke City

Alexander Mitrovic (20)- £13m to Newcastle

Jordan Ayew (23)- £12m to Aston Villa

Thoughts?

Stekelenburg has only gone to Fulham to cover Forsters long term injury, otherwise he'd still be at Fulham. So I don't think that move would have been an option anyway.

Van Ginkel was part of the Begovic deal to Chelsea.  I don't think Afellay is what we need, apart from last season in Greece, he has spent the previous 3 with various long term injuries. 

We have signed 3 very good players in a short space of time.  We all know we need at least 2 CM's, we have to trust the club rather than moan as every negative comment seems to breed 10 more.

Only Andre Ayew stands out as anything earth shattering.

Stekelenberg has lost it, Van Ginkel part of Begovic deal, Jordan Ayew seems a huge risk, Afellay has been injury prone and Mitrovic is again another risk, also said to be very lazy with fans in Belgium saying his attitude stinks.

I think we should've challenged Villa for Micah Richards and Idrissa Gueye. Two problem areas for us, the former an experienced yet relatively young CB, perfect for a 3-5-2/3-4-3 set up, and the latter a young commanding CM.

Also, Mitrovic and Mbemba joining Newcastle for a combined £20m is pretty annoying, great business for them, but they are a bigger club.

I did find it a bit weird how we didn't go for Mulumbu, and he's ended up at Norwich, especially with our lack of CMs, but Esteban hadn't made his mind up at that time, did he?

I've been reviewing the completed transfers for this summer window so far, and it really has got me thinking.

Ok, some of these players may not play in the positions that we seem to need to urgently strengthen, (ie central midfield) but to me, they are definitely players that would have improved our side.

The first four, were all free transfers or loan signings, whilst the last two were alternatives to the £12m bid for Charlie Austin. Could and should we have challenged these clubs for their signatures? And is there anyone else that has moved elsewhere that you feel we may have missed a great opportunity to sign?

Thoughts?

Yes, other teams are active in the transfer market! You are correct.  Doesn't mean we aren't and that these were or should have been targets for us.  We have professional people managing these issues for us.  Not a vote by the fans.  Timing is frustrating for us fans, I get that, but doesn't mean we won't do well in the transfer game.  If the end of August comes and goes and we have no new names then we can complain.  If we start the season badly with no new players or new players perform badly, we can complain but all these, we are not players in the market threads are just causing more frustration.

We all want to have fun discussing our new players.  That is a big part of forums like this.  Remember though we did start very early in the market with Fuchs, Okazaki and Huth before most other teams. So when writing threads like this and show other teams new players let's consider we had 3 new names before any of them.

If we had kept Cambiasso I am fairly certain some of our of other transfer targets would have joined.

Not sure about that - I think he would have started every game for which he was fit (the reason he didn't re sign was that we wouldn't acede to this request ??) which means one less starting place for a prospective midfielder.

This Summer for the club has just been depressing. I feel like every day we hear nothing on transfers other than Daily Mirror made up articles, the more I worry we'll be going down.

I did think this club would be attractive after staying up and everyone knowing that we pulled off insane form for the last games. Fuchs said it is something that caught his eye.

When I first joined it was to keep up to date on transfers.  Now I look at the transfer section as the most useless part of the forum, full of people making wild speculation and getting overexcited over non-stories, then getting angry when they don't come to fruition lol.  Good entertainment mind.

Thoughts?

Who knows? Can anybody really pretend that they have seen enough of Marco Van Ginkel to form a coherent opinion of him?!

Players from abroad always have a special aura about them - until you see them play for a season and realise that they're no better (and no worse) than their English equvalents. This time last year a lot of fans were having kittens that we'd missed out on the likes of Enner Valencia (12m) and Brown Ideye (10m); and predicting the worst as we'd spent £8m on a Brighton forward.

Andre Ayew is the only one who stands out from that list. But he has signed for a better team. Just because we have stayed up doesn't mean we will always sign the very best available. Swansea are an established premier league team. We are not yet, we need a composed central midfielder and a box to box midfielder.

We must be the most unattractive club to play for in Premier League history. It seems any half decent player will reject us flat out. 

We're the football equivalent of the fat stinky ginger girl at the party that nobody wants to f cuk. 

We must be the most unattractive club to play for in Premier League history. It seems any half decent player will reject us flat out.

We're the football equivalent of the fat stinky ginger girl at the party that nobody wants to f cuk.

We're not the only ones having trouble.

Susan Scholes ?

No I think it's just because we don’t have Pearson to ground the owners any more. The Thais heads have always been in the clouds …   I think that they have unrealistic expectations as to what money can buy them, and are too easily be-dazzled by big names.

The Thais actually need someone like Pearson to tell them when they're fvcking up. Unfortunately I don't think Ranieri will be able to do that.

I don't see the players we've been linked with who have signed for someone else as a loss.

Some of the prospective bids we have made may be entirely tactical. Get your relegation rivals to overpay for a player by simply feigning interest or putting a bid in to raise the price?

For me, I'm confident we'll have put the effort and coin on the table to find the players we need. Those we say we're acting desperate have no clue how many actual definitive bids we've made, to queries of a players availability, or even just been linked to by agents/media or the like.

If we have gone to every midfielder on the market that seem to be above our station, I don't see it as desperation, I see it as AMBITION. There's a significant difference.

Archived