Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Jamie Vardy

Radio Leicester saying he has apologised for the incident

Well that should be the end of it then.

But it was chap according to some deaf people on here.

Maybe he just took the high road so as not to drag the incident out  ;)  :P

At an organisation of that size, you'd expect someone would, the question is whether they're relevant to the article - if they're one of the photographers, the story won't go through them, so unless the author, subeditor, editor, head editor and proof readers are one of the people who are aware of the connotations around the word jap, it can slip through the cracks.

And the employees don't read their own newspaper and tell the editors

"Oi Ed, that was racist, better let everyone know and not do it again"

Since it's apparently been in the headlines more than once.

Difficult one - certainly not clear cut.

Very poor quality grainy video - not clear what he is actually saying. I think putting subtitles on isn't really acceptable - it needs to be clear from the audio not subtitles added by the Sun! However he does seem to be saying 'Jap' but not in a wholly derogatory way, not 'you stupid jap xxxx' which would clearly be intended as a racist insult as in the Terry/Ferdinand case - Terry didn't lose his job.

Secondly there is the issue of the word 'Jap' itself. I heard this word used a few times in the ground on Saturday to describe our new player when people clearly couldn't recall or pronounce his name e.g. 'That little jap is a real fighter' when he was trying to keep possession. I'm unsure people would use the word in a positive way like that if it was commonly considered to be a racial slur. I can see from reading about it that it dates to American usage during world war 2 and can understand the historical aspect and why it may be considered offensive, but I was unaware of this really before taking time to find out. It's certainly not in the category of the n word as people are suggesting. I doubt I would overhear anyone in the ground saying 'great game from that n****** Morgan' therefore there's clearly a difference in the terminology here. There seems to be disagreement amongst the Japanese community themselves about how offensive this word is.

Young man having drunk too much while out with friends loses his rag and shouts at someone - happens every weekend night - just in this case as it is a high profile footballer it is headline news. I would get him to apologise publicly and as others have said perhaps do some work for kick it out if he confirms he said Jap knowing this was racist. Definitely does not warrant a sacking in my opinion.

I can't believe this is actually a story... Vardy has reportedly apologised now too.

The number of off-field incidents this past year is simply unreal...

Would you think it was racist if someone said "Oi Dane" to you?

honest question, not being facetious.

So what's going to happen now? A fine and a telling off I would imagine. But we all know what happened the last time we had a racism issue. Surely Vards isn't going to get the boot as well?

Maybe his father is.

Would you think it was racist if someone said "Oi Dane" to you?

honest question, not being facetious.

No, but then I don't easily get offended. Vardy said 'Jap' and it clearly wasn't meant in a joking manner either. Is it a story? No, not at all. Will it get consequences? Likely, because with the media bigging this up as a 'thing' the owners/the club will need to take some action to keep face.

I just can't believe how stupid these footballers are, thinking they are untouchable because they earn loads and play for a big club.

When you see Vardy on the pitch and contemplate his meteoric rise, it is so disappointing to see him act this hotheaded and stupid.

Just like the kids in Thailand, just like Pearson and his weird emotional outbursts (which I could forgive if they were one-offs, but they clearly weren't), just like La Manga, just like Dennis Wise, just like Wayne Brown.... it's despairing stuff and will only alienate football even further from 'real' people.

How they aren't taught how to behave in public, exactly because you have such brainfarted media picking up on every misstep, is just baffling.

It doesn't matter what we think, what do the owners think will determine how this plays out. Hopefully the apology will end the story, but has put the owners in a awkward position, they don't want their ownership tainted by racism and unfortunately the terms used have been about people from the far east.

That Vardy has apologised means that those who think he said 'chap' will stop posting that crap.

The Sun is hypocritical in how its used the story, but again at the end of the day it's another Leicester City story we could have avoided.

I'm sure those defending Vardy will be very sympathetic when its the turn of another clubs player appearing on the front page of a tabloid.

He's said he's made an error of judgment, hope we can move on but I fear this story may get highjacked by the anti racist zealots looking for a prize scalp.

No, but then I don't easily get offended. Vardy said 'Jap' and it clearly wasn't meant in a joking manner either. Is it a story? No, not at all. Will it get consequences? Likely, because with the media bigging this up as a 'thing' the owners/the club will need to take some action to keep face.

I just can't believe how stupid these footballers are, thinking they are untouchable because they earn loads and play for a big club.

When you see Vardy on the pitch and contemplate his meteoric rise, it is so disappointing to see him act this hotheaded and stupid.

Just like the kids in Thailand, just like Pearson and his weird emotional outbursts (which I could forgive if they were one-offs, but they clearly weren't), just like La Manga, just like Dennis Wise, just like Wayne Brown.... it's despairing stuff and will only alienate football even further from 'real' people.

How they aren't taught how to behave in public, exactly because you have such brainfarted media picking up on every misstep, is just baffling.

All footballers should be obliged by the football league to go on a course at the beginning of each season - or when they first come into a league like Rookies in the NBA.

It doesn't matter what we think, what do the owners think will determine how this plays out. Hopefully the apology will end the story, but has put the owners in a awkward position, they don't want their ownership tainted by racism and unfortunately the terms used have been about people from the far east.

That Vardy has apologised means that those who think he said 'chap' will stop posting that crap.

The Sun is hypocritical in how its used the story, but again at the end of the day it's another Leicester City story we could have avoided.

I'm sure those defending Vardy will be very sympathetic when its the turn of another clubs player appearing on the front page of a tabloid.

He's said he's made an error of judgment, hope we can move on but I fear this story may get highjacked by the anti racist zealots looking for a prize scalp.

Again, Vardy apologised for causing offence. That could be a general apology for his actions, it's not admitting guilt for what he's accused of.

Archived