Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know the best place to put this but:

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/fan-makes-12000-mile-trip-to-meet-footballing-hero-okazaki-2826860.aspx?utm_content=bufferbf2cd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

“We couldn’t watch Leicester matches on TV last season, but now Okazaki is at the Club, we can watch every match on TV. There’s not only Okazaki, but Jamie Vardy and Claudio Ranieri are popular in Japan.”

“Vardy is also famous in Japan because of his goalscoring. Drinkwater is well-known too because of his unique family name. Now, he is recognised not only by his name, but also his skills in Japan.”

I am mildly curious how Vardy and his record is taken over in Japan.

Edited by Andy King Power

OK - Rooney's got 50, but does Shinji have 45 or 46?

English wikipedia has him on 45, Japanese wikipedia puts him on 46.

I presumed the Japanese site was probably being a little generous with some dubious own goal, but, well - what do you reckon? It's v. Azerbaijan, 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0J91_EdDA

Anyone know who makes these decisions at international level?

thats Okazakis goal for me, was going in and just took a deflection

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally some decent Okazaki coverage in the media here. Unless he scores he barely gets a mention. The phrase that's been cropping up all day is:

'o-ba-heddo kikku'.   (オーバーヘッド キック)

That's what they call it here.

Here's a few Shinji comments from the evening paper:

"I've always aimed for that kind of play (the overhead kick) - today it came off".

"(I knew it had gone in because) I heard the cheers of the crowd".

"I think I'm going to play that back about 50 times!"

Commenting on the cold that he'd had since yesterday but kept secret because he was so keen to play:

"It was getting really tough. (Half-joking): I was thinking 'Please take me off!"

Hopefully the sports papers wil have a few good spreads tomorrow. I'll put some up here if they do.

I was slightly worried he seemed unusually tired second half. I thought he's starting to feel the season in his bones (probably does, as well the others, except maybe Kanterminator). He chased and gave his 100% first half but then probably the illness caught up with him.

There's a feature in one of the Japanese sports papers this morning saying that since the Premier League started, no team that has been five points clear with eight games remaining has not gone on to win the title. They're overlooking the fact that Man U were actually eight clear with only five remaining in 2011/12 - and they blew it.

Lots of great Okazaki coverage though ...pics coming up...

There's a feature in one of the Japanese sports papers this morning saying that since the Premier League started, no team that has been five points clear with eight games remaining has not gone on to win the title. They're overlooking the fact that Man U were actually eight clear with only five remaining in 2011/12 - and they blew it.

Lots of great Okazaki coverage though ...pics coming up...

But they were only 3 clear with 8 to play, so technically the stats still true.