Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Spurs Post Match

I can't see us being in anything like a relegation battle this year, people are talking about achieving saftey, which is essentially ofcourse but our progress is being under estimated across the board IMO.

That's probably a good thing, eases the pressure off.

Personally I think Ranieri got it wrong from the outset. He started the wrong formation which left us outnumbered in midfield and left us chasing the ball a lot. Jeffs best position is LWB because if he isn't doing his defensive duties there's an extra man to deal with the threat and he also gets the chance to bomb forward and run at the oppositions RB - he only did this ONCE in the whole 90mins yesterday towards the end. Unfortunately I think we set up to get something from the game rather than to win it. Not that I'm complaining as I'd have been happy with a point before kick off, but I honestly believe if we had set up to attack more, we would have won the game.

My sentiments entirely. I think we gave them too much respect and should have played more offensively from the off. And I don't agree with an earlier poster saying Spurs deliberately played deep. I watched the game and Spurs had control of the centre of the park because we were playing too deep and therefore not pressing their players. This allowed them to stroke the ball around with all the time in the world, yes they had to face two banks of four but we play better when we harass and probe with pace. For me Claudio got it wrong we looked like the away team.

I can't see us being in anything like a relegation battle this year, people are talking about achieving saftey, which is essentially ofcourse but our progress is being under estimated across the board IMO.

This time last year Aston Villa had 7 points as well. 15 games later they were in the relegation zone and couldn't buy a goal.

This time last year Aston Villa had Paul Lambert in charge.

And yet they had 7 points from 3 games and 10 from 4. Hindsight is 20/20.

Absolutely, we aren't a good enough side yet to see a draw at home to Spurs as a poor result. Plus, equalising to draw always feels a better result too.

Not wishing to stereotype but Ranieri has adopted a very pragmatic approach. It was clear that he knew how Spurs would line up and that their squad is stronger so we sat very deep and were content to allow Spurs the majority of the play and attept to find space behind their full backs.

Over the three matches we've pressed using a deeper and deeper line and Ranieri has made tweaks to accomodate for Mahrez's abilty as an attacker but his shortcomings in a defensive roll. He seemed to be told to take up a very very wide starting position but weirdly a much narrower and slightly higher defensive position than Albrighton.

It was also noticable that Schlupp has been told to stay deeper too when we face sides Ranieri deems to be stronger on a man for man basis, the one time he neglected to do so Spurs scored at the far post.

Sunderland

post-9348-0-21501900-1440325414_thumb.pn

West Ham

post-9348-0-13782500-1440325435_thumb.pn

Spurs

post-9348-0-03408100-1440325457_thumb.pn

Mahrez is incredible...

Bit of a slow game at times due to the heat.

I haven't seen te replay but I thought we should have had a peno on Mahrez in the first half.

Spurs passed it around well and found space but Kingy and Drinky did really well to make it hard for them to break us down.

We definitely would have struggled against a team who can pass it so consistently like them last season.

I think we could have won yesterday but another point against a definite top 8 club is a step in the right direction.

Shame about the Spurs cûnt who threw a missile at one of the kids!

But even if he tracked the run it was such a good ball in for Alli to attack that Jeff would have to have done something special to beat Alli to the ball without fouling him, and make contact with the cross without putting it in his own not.

The 2 mistakes beforehand were much more relevant to the goal, failing to tackle Kane, which was first Inler then Huth and Morgan. Then leaving Chadli free to deliver such a good cross under little pressure.

I think the main issue is that he wasn't aware until too late as he wasn't doing his job correctly which as tracking his man.  Like a lot of people on here I think Jeff is a great talent but not focused enough on his defensive side all the time when having to stick to a focused LB position.  He did however make some great tackles and kept Kyle Walker pretty quiet.  

Fuchs for LB for me in a 4atb if it's the same tactics as Spurs.

And yet they had 7 points from 3 games and 10 from 4. Hindsight is 20/20.

...But their demise was inevitable. 

Unlike City they were afflicted by complacency, shite support once their form slipped, dreadful ownership, a clueless manager and zero team spirit.

I fully agree that attaching too much significance to our league position at this stage in the season is premature, but our confidence is high, the support is better than it has ever been since we left Filbert St., we have depth in our squad offering adaptability, exceptional scouting, appreciable financial backing...and the best away kit in the Football league.

It just shows how far we have come, that a top 6 side comes to our place to shut us down and stifle us, rather than playing their own game.

Spurs obviously have some top players, but they rarely gave us much trouble.

I thought Vardy, had a good game despite not having a site of goal - his touch and all around play has improved massively in the last six months.

On the negatives:

Kasper continues to look competely clueless if there is any thinking involved / reason to come off his line, for the third game in a row. Will not come for crosses, lucky not to conceed when he stood watching as Wes shepherded it back to him. He can't seem to make a correct decision at the moment, but 'twas ever thus.

And before any one says anything - yes he is a great reactive shot stopper - the problems come when, as I say he has to think!

Jeff and De Laet were exposed at times - the latter's failure to get close to the crosser was a problem, De Laet moving across to the centre too far too often also.

Overall though happy, and great noise from the Kop second half. Well done lads!

So it was a good idea for Wes to Shepherd he ball with a Tottenham player around him about 10 yards to Kasper into his own 6 yard box?

Kasper looked confused as to what he was doing and so was I.

Blame Jeff for not tracking alli's run but the real issue was four defenders in front of the crosser leaving only wes to defend the centre of the goal. Huth should have dropped to cover Kane and wes could have dropped to mark the runner. if RDL realises that we are so weighted to the ball, he would have got closer to chadli rather than allowing the cross. Poor defending all round, not just Jeff's tracking back.

It was a very tactical game. Spurs clearly came to nullify the threat posed by Vardy,Mahrez,etc. Despite the same team we set up differently,to nullify Spurs.

As a consequence,much of the first half was stalemate.

Their goal was right after we made 2 subs.,maybe we were caught out with the changes but it was a poor goal to concede. Jeff was ball watching but others were at fault.

What is encouraging is that no heads dropped,we quickly equalised and came close to a win.

As others posters have said that was a game that last season we would have lost and we did lose the equivalent fixture to a late Spurs goal.It's good that we have taken 7 points from games that yielded a single point last season.It says a lot that Spurs fans are dissappointed. The point should be seen as a bonus for us,The games we need to win are those against teams outside the top 6,which we didn't do until April last season.

It was not such a good game yesterday but it's been an encouraging start.

Anyone think that with Shinji doing the job he was doing I.e. Tracking back and putting himself about it left us with a lack if option going forward?

You can't knock him for effort and he did track back.

Personally though, I like to see a striker looking dangerous in front of goal. Ie looking like he's going to get something.

Shinji was nowhere near to scoring yesterday, was knackered after about 60 mins and IMO should have been replaced.

I still want to see what Kram can do. At this rate, he could be sold on without really kicking a ball in anger.

When inler begins to start I think we will give us more time on the ball (we still seem to panic a lot) and kram could really benefit from this. I'm not saying drop Shinji at all but we can't play every game panicking like it seemed yesterday

When inler begins to start I think we will give us more time on the ball (we still seem to panic a lot) and kram could really benefit from this. I'm not saying drop Shinji at all but we can't play every game panicking like it seemed yesterday

Kramaric must be itching to get on and prove a point!! Hopefully he gets a run out against Bury at least, I'm expecting big things from his this year.

And Inler looked calm and composed in his short time on the pitch

I'm really not sure if we'll try to bring a bit more possession into our game or if we'll continue we've this fast and direct style. Possession isn't everything, it's what you do with and without the ball

I think the aquisition of Inler is designed specifically to manage the ball better, be that more short passes to take the sting out of play or to position his team mates. If you watched immediately after the Spurs goal as we lined up to kick off he instructed the taker to push the ball all the way back to the centre half so we could launch the ball, then in subsequent situations he was communicating to Kante about where to stand.

With the pace we have we'll always have to lean towards a more direct style as we need to keep the opposition as far up the field as we can and ensure gaps bewteen midfield and defence.

I think the aquisition of Inler is designed specifically to manage the ball better, be that more short passes to take the sting out of play or to position his team mates. If you watched immediately after the Spurs goal as we lined up to kick off he instructed the taker to push the ball all the way back to the centre half so we could launch the ball, then in subsequent situations he was communicating to Kante about where to stand.

With the pace we have we'll always have to lean towards a more direct style as we need to keep the opposition as far up the field as we can and ensure gaps bewteen midfield and defence.

Yeah I agree with that. Sometimes we will have to protect the ball a bit better but I just love to see us running at teams and pressing

Yeah I agree with that. Sometimes we will have to protect the ball a bit better but I just love to see us running at teams and pressing

Me too. I think if Kante starts then we'll set up to press in the opposition third as his energy and tennacity is designed specifically for that purpose. I'd hope that any side in the bottom half might have to endure us pressing relentlessly from the front. It'll be fascinating to see how we approach Bournemouth, they won't be your typical lower half side as they like to keep the ball so the decision will be whether we take a Spurs approach or a Sunderland approach.

Me too. I think if Kante starts then we'll set up to press in the opposition third as his energy and tennacity is designed specifically for that purpose. I'd hope that any side in the bottom half might have to endure us pressing relentlessly from the front. It'll be fascinating to see how we approach Bournemouth, they won't be your typical lower half side as they like to keep the ball so the decision will be whether we take a Spurs approach or a Sunderland approach.

I think it's down to us to impose our game onto them. Think we manage to shell shock a lot of teams and we should look to do that to Bournemouth. West Ham sat off them way too much and they exploited that brilliantly

The goal aside i was pretty impressed byour sshape yesterday when Spurs had the ball

Jeff Schlupp is simply wasted at LB.

He's not really a LB.

He plays best and does most damage when playing as a LWB, giving him licence to get forward.

Just like he did in Pearson's run of wins at the end of last season. He got forward to devastating effect (shielded by the extra man at the back). We simply won't see the best of Schlupp if played in a 4-4-2 where he rarely ventures into the opposition half.

Schlupp is not a bright player. He's an instinctual player. Give him the ball, let him push it past the full back and get a low cross in. That's Jeff at his best.

I agree with the majority of this 523 with Mahrez in the hole just negates all the weaknesses that have picked up on so far this season. Mahrez doesn't track back well enough in a 442, Schlupp doesn't get forwards enough and there is more cover if he makes a mistake. Same with RDL

Although I would replace him with Was or Benny.

I do wonder if Shinji and Vardy are too similar and whilst having both on the pitch must be a nightmare for defenders they are normally knackered by the end of the match and are too tired to take advantage of any opportunities that come their way.

Give Kramaric or Ulloa a more forward role with either Vardy or Shinji to chase the ball might be more effective in the long run.

Interesting that both West Ham and Spurs employed short goal kicks, whether this is a normal tactic or one to tire our forwards and pull them out of position, preventing a quick counter when they lose the ball. It would be interesting to see if that was just for us.

Bournemouth will come at us like they did West Ham and if we see Inler and Kante in CM then I think we could have them. They couldn't break down Villa or Liverpool and West Ham's defending yesterday was abysmal. With a good CM pairing to break up and engage attacks then as West Ham proved you can really punish them.

No doubt they'll score and chances are it'll be Gradel. I'm going for 3 or 4-1 if we set up like that.

Archived