Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Spurs Post Match

While I don't entirely agree with what's being said about the game, and in particular the midfield yesterday, I get where they're coming from.

They were out numbered and therefore couldn't press as much as they had in the first 2 games. Our intensity seemed to be missing at some points of the game yesterday and because of that we allowed spurs too much time on the ball.

I like King and Drinkwater, but it's hard to not put Inler in the side ahead of one of those. Kante looks energetic, but let's be honest none of us really know enough about him yet.

I was more disappointed with Schlupp yesterday. I'm not his biggest fan, can't remember a player who has frustrated me as much as he does. I was hopeful after the first couple of games but he let himself down yesterday. Was at fault for their goal. And that moment where he was stood waiting for the pass to arrive at his feet, literally just stood there, with 2 spurs players moving to intercept the pass. Basically just allowing them to have the ball back. That is the Jeff that annoys me so so much

Have you ever watched them play in the PREMIER LEAGUE?

Its a totally different game. Kingy looks better in a 3....reminds me joe allen though, decent ball retention but little else. But too lightweight in a 2.

Drinky hasn't impressed me as much as many others this season, he again gets bullied and lacks a killer pass whilst never being a goalscoring threat.

In 5 minutes yesterday inler was far more physical and kante offered more options.

King is only behind Mahrez in terms of players who have made the step up successfully, and his ability to win the ball back so often AND be a goal threat is ludicrously overlooked by so many. He has one 6/10 performance against a decent spurs midfield and he gets written off again. And he is never too lightweight these days, you seen him flexin when he pointed to the badge against West Ham last season? Beefy as shit these days.

King is quite possibly the most underrated player, by his own fans, that we've ever had.

I continually tell people who shoot him down at every possible opportunity to just watch him. Watch him for the entire 90 minutes. A lot of what he does, what he brings to the team goes unnoticed. He does the simple things so well that no one ever sees what he actually does. And that's the problem with the fans.

There's much to admire in Ranieri but I hope he's not going to ruin the potential of our side with his massed 4-4-2 across the front of our penalty box.

Before long he'll be contracting the shape into a square (had the pitch already been narrowed before yesterday's match?), get the Premiership to accept us using shields in honour of the ancient Roman legions and have all us fans turn up with short swords and wearing tunics.    

That might make for good television but, while we might important battles on the way to a place in European football there is so much excitement about our emerging team that surely we're not going to aim for a succession of cagey -0's in getting there.

From admiring and enjoying so much about the way we played against Sunderland, and so many moves that might have ended in goals to grace any Goal of the Season programme, we virtually flattened the carnival atmosphere at The King Power yesterday with the kind of football that made sightseeing in the Sahara seem attractive.

I was reminded of so many occasions in the past - under Pearson and others - of when we tried to steal points rather than win games - and honestly thought we'd learned better.

But no. There were the massed ranks of a demonstrably entertaining team shuffling to and fro in strict formation across the ground outside our penalty area, while outriders tried to beg something like scavengers at a big knob's party.

There was no noticeable attempt to defend and attack like a team.

Nine blokes voluntarily conceded ground and defended while Vardy and a random other searched for crumbs from what must have seemed much like a concrete cake.

Our defence and attack was further apart than the extremes of the Labour Party   

I remember Ranieri talking in admiration about our pace and marauding spirit - so why bring out the shackles even Pearson was finally forced to abandon, and so soon?

Vardy seemed to be auditioning for a part in the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Drinkwater for The Invisible Man.     

One of the reasons we looked so good against Sunderland was because we had runners and close support all through at least an hour of the game.

Yesterday we were invited to witness an attempted master-class in sterile, virtually risk-free football of the sort that might be devised by a system analyst determined to stifle all aspects of adventure from the game.

You just knew that Spurs would eventually score.

But what irony when we showed how easy it was to break down the physically formidable Spurs defence by showing some attitude.

What was it - 15 seconds or so? And then we almost plundered a winner. What was there really to be afraid of?

Big defenders are mostly the same. Dominant in the air and strong in the tackle. Play the ball on the floor (Ranieri's said to like it), spread the play as wide as possible and have the little fellows flying in, around and through the gaps and it usually leaves those same defenders feeling decidedly uncomfortable. Because they don't like running, they don't like being twisted and turned and they don't like being exposed one on one.

Yes, of course I'm pleased we took a point. I not so pleased we left the other two behind.      

King covers a phenomenal amount of distance in a match, and has a great pass completion rate. He also has the best eye for goal and also is the best header of a ball in our mid field.He also has the stamina and physical fitness to keep going to the end and a decent footballing brain.

DD is a better ball winner, but King is the better midfielder. He paired well with Cambiasso, and should be do well with Inler.

A very underrated player indeed.

King covers a phenomenal amount of distance in a match, and has a great pass completion rate. He also has the best eye for goal and also is the best header of a ball in our mid field.He also has the stamina and physical fitness to keep going to the end and a decent footballing brain.

DD is a better ball winner, but King is the better midfielder. He paired well with Cambiasso, and should be do well with Inler.

A very underrated player indeed.

They're both good (dd and ak) but i have to ask, would they get into a top 6 team? If that is where we are aiming to be that is

There's much to admire in Ranieri but I hope he's not going to ruin the potential of our side with his massed 4-4-2 across the front of our penalty box.

Before long he'll be contracting the shape into a square (had the pitch already been narrowed before yesterday's match?), get the Premiership to accept us using shields in honour of the ancient Roman legions and have all us fans turn up with short swords and wearing tunics.

That might make for good television but, while we might important battles on the way to a place in European football there is so much excitement about our emerging team that surely we're not going to aim for a succession of cagey -0's in getting there.

From admiring and enjoying so much about the way we played against Sunderland, and so many moves that might have ended in goals to grace any Goal of the Season programme, we virtually flattened the carnival atmosphere at The King Power yesterday with the kind of football that made sightseeing in the Sahara seem attractive.

I was reminded of so many occasions in the past - under Pearson and others - of when we tried to steal points rather than win games - and honestly thought we'd learned better.

But no. There were the massed ranks of a demonstrably entertaining team shuffling to and fro in strict formation across the ground outside our penalty area, while outriders tried to beg something like scavengers at a big knob's party.

Nine blokes voluntarily conceded ground and defended while Vardy and a random other searched for crumbs from what must have seemed much like a concrete cake.

I remember Ranieri talking in admiration about our pace and marauding spirit - so why bring out the shackles even Pearson was finally forced to abandon, and so soon?

Vardy seemed to be auditioning for a part in the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and Drinkwater for The Invisible Man.

One of the reasons we looked so good against Sunderland was because we had runners and close support all through at least an hour of the game.

Yesterday we were invited to witness an attempted master-class in sterile, virtually risk-free football of the sort that might be devised by a system analyst determined to stifle all aspects of adventure from the game.

But what irony when we showed how easy it was to break down the physically formidable Spurs defence by showing some attitude.

What was it - 15 seconds or so? And then we almost plundered a winner. What was there really to be afraid of?

Big defenders are mostly the same. Dominant in the air and strong in the tackle. Play the ball on the floor (Ranieri's said to like it), spread the play as wide as possible and have the little fellows flying in, around and through the gaps and it usually leaves those same defenders feeling decidedly uncomfortable. Because they don't like running, they don't like being twisted and turned and they don't like being exposed one on one.

Yes, of course I'm pleased we took a point. I not so pleased we left the other two behind.

Spurs quite rightly from there point of view set up to stifle our usual pacey start which worked . Ranieri answered precisely and sensibly your point on radio leicester ie it was so hot and humid Okazaki and Vardy et al would never be able to maintain their recent style of play. Good result yesterday let's not expect too much too quick . Our new players when bedded in and adapted will take us to the next level .

Of the 19 teams we've played since promotion, we've taken points from 16 of them now (beaten 12, draws with Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham). Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich we're still to play, obviously.

Chelsea, Crystal Palace and Manchester City are the three we haven't yet taken at least a point from.

Ok lol

We were crying out for three in the middle way before 80 minutes, I'm not the only one who has said that despite a lot disagreeing with me also.

Is it up to them to magic someone else up to help them?

Any team would struggle wih 3 vs 2 in the middle and you would do well to remember Lamela Mason and Dier cost the best part of £50m

Its a totally different game. Kingy looks better in a 3....reminds me joe allen though, decent ball retention but little else. But too lightweight in a 2.

Drinky hasn't impressed me as much as many others this season, he again gets bullied and lacks a killer pass whilst never being a goalscoring threat.

In 5 minutes yesterday inler was far more physical and kante offered more options.

And them being in a 2 is there fault?

The fact next to nothing came through the middle was testament to how hard they worked

Take your specs off, Inler wasn't that impressive and came on with 7(?) to go against players that had played 83 minutes of football in 30 degree heat. Plus had kingy AND Kante in there with him.

Is it up to them to magic someone else up to help them?

Any team would struggle wih 3 vs 2 in the middle and you would do well to remember Lamela Mason and Dier cost the best part of £50m

lol

We played two midfielders against West Ham's three last week, Oxford & Kouyate are built like tanks, Noble one of the most underrated midfielders in the Prem yet Drinky & King got the upper hand.

Same case last year against Arsenal at home & Liverpool away & we seemed to fare alright.

lol

We played two midfielders against West Ham's three last week, Oxford & Kouyate are built like tanks, Noble one of the most underrated midfielders in the Prem yet Drinky & King got the upper hand.

Same case last year against Arsenal at home & Liverpool away & we seemed to fare alright.

I have no idea why I am explaining to a football fan why a 3 man midfield should have more possession than a 2 man midfield every day of the week.

They held possession well, but what happened when the ball went into Kane? ISOLATED.

What happened when the ball went into Vardy? Okazaki to lay it off to. That's the sacrifice that Ranieri has decided to make to be more potent up front.

Drinkwater and King obviously tired, who wouldn't? And te change should have come sooner but I'm not having it that Inler is covered in glory for a 7 minute cameo against knackered players. Plus for a fresh player he didn't exactly cover himself in glory for the goal either.

Drinkwater and King were disciplined and protected the back 4 excellently to allow the likes of Vardy, Albrighton, Okazaki and Mahrez to counter.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Sometimes you talk sense, other times weird drivel - the above post falls squarely into the latter category.

Thracian, I hope that post didn't take a long time (guessing it did), because it was utter garbage and a moronic post.

Tottenham slowed the game down on purpose as they were scared of us catching them out, meaning we spent large parts of the game comfortable with them playing rubbish passes in front of all 10 men, most of the time without even the thought of trying to break us down.

We set up to COUNTER, do you know what that means? It means defend tight and deep, and let a team break you down. As they come forward, they naturally leave a lot of space in behind, so when we get it back, we can use the pace we have in our side to hurt them.

Would you be happier if we passed it around for 70% of the game with endless midfielders and then had a shot from 30 yards?

And your thing about Pearson 'taking he shackles off', we lost our only game against a top side then in Chelsea by being so wide open at the back. How many points did we collect from Spurs last season?

Agree with this mostly but in fairness Drinkwater has looked very good so far this season, and a 2 in central midfield was never going to beat Spurs 3 in midfield so he was up against it. Also completely disagree with the killer pass bit, Drinkwater has excellent vision and can play a killer pass imo

And yet a 'defensive' performance has got us 1 more point than last season, against a spurs side...which performed better than in the 2 league games last season.

I'm sorry but if you are going to class spurs playing erik lamela in the hole as a 3 man midfield....then we clearly also played a three man midfield with okazaki.

The fact was mason and dier were far better than our midfield, and that shouldn't happen.

I'm sorry but if you are going to class spurs playing erik lamela in the hole as a 3 man midfield....then we clearly also played a three man midfield with okazaki.

The fact was mason and dier were far better than our midfield, and that shouldn't happen.

Mason and Dier were better? lol most of there possession was with there centre backs and wide players. We were very narrow so let them have it at full back and didn't want to give them the space to exploit us, and it worked.

We didn't play open and toe to toe, man for man stuff, it was very compact and if you like, Italian.

Anyway, Lamela? Were you watching the game? It was Dembele that operated in in the middle with them, and was very much a 3 man midfield. Lamela drifted in too but Dembele bossed things a little as he has lovely turn of pace and is so strong.

I just do not understand what people want. For all there possession and dominance I think Kasper only made routing stops from long range hopeful punts? If it was that easy for them, why shoot from distance?

2 wins in 2 has gone to people's head if you think were going to play spurs off the park.

Archived