Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Spurs Post Match

I know I shouldn't but just had a look at a Spurs forum. We can be a tad morose at times but they take it to a new level.

I love how before the game, just like Sunderland and West Ham, their forums are full of confidence expecting to batter us by several goals.  Then we score and the negativity creeps in escalates.

Last season we would've lost that game.

The heat definitely played a part and we were not as tenacious in going forward as we have been.

I thought we looked the better side just. That game definitely shows progress we some work needed which is more than understandable.

Schlupp as a defender does not fill me with confidence but he has shown himself to be a fast learner and that mistake on their goal will be rectified by him.

Otherwise we've taken a point against a good Spurs side. Nothing to be disheartened about.

You say that but he has done that twice this season already! Just "ball-watching" allowed Defoe to score on the opening game of the season. Of course, that's alright because we were 3v0 up by then.

As you say though, Schlupp defending doesnt fill me with confidence. He is a very good WB however.  

I don't get how the goal was Jeff's fault, he could have tracked his man better but even if he was up alongside Alli he wouldn't have been able to do anything, if he'd tried to clear it he would have put it into his own net, he couldn't tackle Alli as it would have been a penalty. Yes Jeff should have tracked him better but the cross was so good and a diving header just making enough contact. Nothing Jeff could have done the mistakes were in letting Kane bundle through 4 players and leaving Chadli in space to deliver such a wicked cross.

I don't think it was entirely Jeff's fault but he was ball watching, when a player fails to track a player his only hope of rectifying the situation is to raise his hand and hope for offside.

Jeff has never looked a left back and it's very hard to imprint that positional awareness into his brain even though he is young. people play there whole career training in a position and still can get it wrong let alone a couple of years.

I honestly thought we found his perfect position and a happy medium at left wing back. ( and he looked f*uuckin dangerous at it)

You say that but he has done that twice this season already! Just "ball-watching" allowed Defoe to score on the opening game of the season. Of course, that's alright because we were 3v0 up by then.

As you say though, Schlupp defending doesnt fill me with confidence. He is a very good WB however.

I think what he did yesterday pretty well was keep up with Kyle Walker, if we'd still got Konchesky at LB we'd have been ripped apart down that side but I think Schlupps pace is a massive asset against teams like Spurs.

The possession game Spurs played yesterday is very boring to watch, it's almost like the top teams nowadays are happy to just pass the ball round in their own half all game and get a 0-0 or 1-0.

I think what he did yesterday pretty well was keep up with Kyle Walker, if we'd still got Konchesky at LB we'd have been ripped apart down that side but I think Schlupps pace is a massive asset against teams like Spurs.

The possession game Spurs played yesterday is very boring to watch, it's almost like the top teams nowadays are happy to just pass the ball round in their own half all game and get a 0-0 or 1-0.

Classic Liverpool and Man Utd.

Personally I think Ranieri got it wrong from the outset. He started the wrong formation which left us outnumbered in midfield and left us chasing the ball a lot. Jeffs best position is LWB because if he isn't doing his defensive duties there's an extra man to deal with the threat and he also gets the chance to bomb forward and run at the oppositions RB - he only did this ONCE in the whole 90mins yesterday towards the end. Unfortunately I think we set up to get something from the game rather than to win it. Not that I'm complaining as I'd have been happy with a point before kick off, but I honestly believe if we had set up to attack more, we would have won the game.

If Jeff was up alongside or even goal side of their substitute he would have been able to clear the cross or block his header or basically defend the goal, something that he was paid to do yesterday. Alli started his run from the centre circle and ran across him when Schluppy was well ahead of him and he was too slow to react. Jeff has the pace to have dealt with that.

But even if he tracked the run it was such a good ball in for Alli to attack that Jeff would have to have done something special to beat Alli to the ball without fouling him, and make contact with the cross without putting it in his own not.

The 2 mistakes beforehand were much more relevant to the goal, failing to tackle Kane, which was first Inler then Huth and Morgan. Then leaving Chadli free to deliver such a good cross under little pressure.

It just shows how far we have come, that a top 6 side comes to our place to shut us down and stifle us, rather than playing their own game.

Spurs obviously have some top players, but they rarely gave us much trouble.

I thought Vardy, had a good game despite not having a site of goal - his touch and all around play has improved massively in the last six months.

On the negatives:

Kasper continues to look competely clueless if there is any thinking involved / reason to come off his line, for the third game in a row. Will not come for crosses, lucky not to conceed when he stood watching as Wes shepherded it back to him. He can't seem to make a correct decision at the moment, but 'twas ever thus.

And before any one says anything - yes he is a great reactive shot stopper - the problems come when, as I say he has to think!

Jeff and De Laet were exposed at times - the latter's failure to get close to the crosser was a problem, De Laet moving across to the centre too far too often also.

Overall though happy, and great noise from the Kop second half. Well done lads!

I don't think it was a 'tactical master class' from Ranieri. Spurs didn't let us play our usual game- they kept the ball so well especially early doors. If was almost as though their manager had said 'keep the ball first twenty minutes and we have a chance. Don't let Leicester come out all guns blazing'. They did a job on us. We were chasing the ball a lot which meant we also ended up the more tired side due to the heat

Agreed, they set out to negate our game and did so pretty well. That's a complement to us - when it's a a top team team who clearly have quality players.

I thought Spurs did a bit of a job on our usual attacking threat by playing deep and keeping possession to wear us out. We didn't get too suckered by it and still got in dangerous positions. Thought we should have gone three in midfield to give us more help in there, that being said DD and King battled well without getting much of a kick.

Was a definete penalty, two in two years against Vertongan at home which weren't given. Mahrez will always frustrate at times but the goal shows why we just let him play as he will win us points.

Watching their goal again I think Kane is very clever as he knows Alli is behind him and he leans into Morgan to stop him winning it. Quiet game overall for him and Vardy in front of Hodgson so Tuesday will be interesting when the squad comes out.

7 points on the board and roll on Bournemouth next week which will be an open attacking contest looking at their style.

I thought Spurs did a bit of a job on our usual attacking threat by playing deep and keeping possession to wear us out. We didn't get too suckered by it and still got in dangerous positions. Thought we should have gone three in midfield to give us more help in there, that being said DD and King battled well without getting much of a kick.

Was a definete penalty, two in two years against Vertongan at home which weren't given. Mahrez will always frustrate at times but the goal shows why we just let him play as he will win us points.

Watching their goal again I think Kane is very clever as he knows Alli is behind him and he leans into Morgan to stop him winning it. Quiet game overall for him and Vardy in front of Hodgson so Tuesday will be interesting when the squad comes out.

7 points on the board and roll on Bournemouth next week which will be an open attacking contest looking at their style.

Likewise we did a bit of a number on them with the 2 banks of four. Both teams cancelled out each other and a draw was a fair result. As Ranieri said it was a real tactical battle.

Jeff Schlupp is simply wasted at LB.

He's not really a LB.

He plays best and does most damage when playing as a LWB, giving him licence to get forward.

Just like he did in Pearson's run of wins at the end of last season. He got forward to devastating effect (shielded by the extra man at the back). We simply won't see the best of Schlupp if played in a 4-4-2 where he rarely ventures into the opposition half.

Schlupp is not a bright player. He's an instinctual player. Give him the ball, let him push it past the full back and get a low cross in. That's Jeff at his best.

Btw, note the mental state of the team reflective of early last season following the championship campaign. Go behind but still believe you will get back into the game and push on for a possible win.

the run in not only provided another season in the PL - it gave the squad their belief back. up to the manager etc to keep that going, even when the reversals come along.

I thought 1-1 was a fair result in an even game. There was very little in the way of good chances for either sides. 

Our defending was a lot better. RDL actually had a good game and didn't look out of place this week. Disappointed to concede in the end because that was the only time we switched off at the back throughout the game. However, I have massive hopes for Dele Alli and I think he will go on to score plenty more at the top level. 

Great response from us. First time we have been behind this season and it shows our confidence at the moment that we could hit straight back. Plenty of times last season that we wouldn't have come back from that. Riyad Mahrez really is the man at the moment, I had a feeling he would step up this season but not to the level he has managed so far. 

Only real negative from me was we didn't bring on a striker other than to waste time. I spent the last half hour of the game wanting to see Okazaki come off and gamble on somebody else doing the business. Maybe Claudio doesn't rate our other forward options? I hope Kramaric and/or Ulloa give him something to think about against Bury. 

Jeff Schlupp is simply wasted at LB.

He's not really a LB.

He plays best and does most damage when playing as a LWB, giving him licence to get forward.

Just like he did in Pearson's run of wins at the end of last season. He got forward to devastating effect (shielded by the extra man at the back). We simply won't see the best of Schlupp if played in a 4-4-2 where he rarely ventures into the opposition half.

Schlupp is not a bright player. He's an instinctual player. Give him the ball, let him push it past the full back and get a low cross in. That's Jeff at his best.

as a team we were pinned back a bit yesterday so we didn't get much chance to see either him or de laet (and even to an extent mahrez and albrighton) galloping down the wing. id imagine next week will be much more open and for someone like schlupp he'll be much more of a threat.

saying that i thought he played quite well yesterday up until the goal. which was rubbish defending all round tbf. then last ten thought he linked well with kante who for some reason played half his cameo as a left winger.

also two or three times yesterday when schlupp would've benefitted from cambiasso (and hopefully will from inler), where from the kop you can see a switch of play is on and he's off down the wing, but the likes of kingy and drinkwater, good as they've been just don't quite have that vision or execution to play a 50 yard cross field ball to an unmarked winger/full back to run onto without breaking stride.

we'll have much easier/more suitable games than yesterday where we will continue to flourish.

Was working yesterday.

Are we seriously a much better team than last year?

I know it's only 3 games into the new season, but look at the other teams in this league below us...errr, that's all of them..lol

as a team we were pinned back a bit yesterday so we didn't get much chance to see either him or de laet (and even to an extent mahrez and albrighton) galloping down the wing. id imagine next week will be much more open and for someone like schlupp he'll be much more of a threat.

saying that i thought he played quite well yesterday up until the goal. which was rubbish defending all round tbf. then last ten thought he linked well with kante who for some reason played half his cameo as a left winger.

also two or three times yesterday when schlupp would've benefitted from cambiasso (and hopefully will from inler), where from the kop you can see a switch of play is on and he's off down the wing, but the likes of kingy and drinkwater, good as they've been just don't quite have that vision or execution to play a 50 yard cross field ball to an unmarked winger/full back to run onto without breaking stride.

we'll have much easier/more suitable games than yesterday where we will continue to flourish.

Great post... completely agree.

Was working yesterday.

Are we seriously a much better team than last year?

I know it's only 3 games into the new season, but look at the other teams in this league below us...errr, that's all of them..lol

We played poor Sunderland and West Ham teams. Spurs needed a result of some kind. last season, we generally failed to get results against teams in the bottom half. if we can change that on a consistent basis then this season will be different.

So far, I am fairly impressed with the teams that have come up so could be quite a fight as the season continues.

Worth noting that Spurs' away record last year was 4th in the Premier League - based on last season's points tallies Spurs at home is roughly as difficult a fixture as Swansea, Stoke or West Ham away.

A point in a game we gave as good as we got is certainly not to be sniffed at!

Worth noting that Spurs' away record last year was 4th in the Premier League - based on last season's points tallies Spurs at home is roughly as difficult a fixture as Swansea, Stoke or West Ham away.

A point in a game we gave as good as we got is certainly not to be sniffed at!

Absolutely, we aren't a good enough side yet to see a draw at home to Spurs as a poor result. Plus, equalising to draw always feels a better result too.

Archived