Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Spurs Post Match

Jeff Schlupp is simply wasted at LB.

He's not really a LB.

He plays best and does most damage when playing as a LWB, giving him licence to get forward.

Just like he did in Pearson's run of wins at the end of last season. He got forward to devastating effect (shielded by the extra man at the back). We simply won't see the best of Schlupp if played in a 4-4-2 where he rarely ventures into the opposition half.

Schlupp is not a bright player. He's an instinctual player. Give him the ball, let him push it past the full back and get a low cross in. That's Jeff at his best.

This

I agree with the majority of this 523 with Mahrez in the hole just negates all the weaknesses that have picked up on so far this season. Mahrez doesn't track back well enough in a 442, Schlupp doesn't get forwards enough and there is more cover if he makes a mistake. Same with RDL

Although I would replace him with Was or Benny.

I do wonder if Shinji and Vardy are too similar and whilst having both on the pitch must be a nightmare for defenders they are normally knackered by the end of the match and are too tired to take advantage of any opportunities that come their way.

Give Kramaric or Ulloa a more forward role with either Vardy or Shinji to chase the ball might be more effective in the long run.

Interesting that both West Ham and Spurs employed short goal kicks, whether this is a normal tactic or one to tire our forwards and pull them out of position, preventing a quick counter when they lose the ball. It would be interesting to see if that was just for us.

Ranieri wants to put Mahrez in a position which maximises the amounts of one one ones he can have per game. If we played him in 'the hole' then his ability to isolate an opponent is gone, that is why Ranieri has put him on the wing.

Ranieri wants to put Mahrez in a position which maximises the amounts of one one ones he can have per game. If we played him in 'the hole' then his ability to isolate an opponent is gone, that is why Ranieri has put him on the wing.

I don't disagree but still think playing in the hole can mean he gets pretty much a free reign and can therefore pick up positions he wants (which may well be out wide on the opponents weakest full back). 

I still think a 3-4-1-2 is our best bet with these players. It supports our weaker players best and accommodates our best players.

I don't disagree but still think playing in the hole can mean he gets pretty much a free reign and can therefore pick up positions he wants (which may well be out wide on the opponents weakest full back). 

I still think a 3-4-1-2 is our best bet with these players. It supports our weaker players best and accommodates our best players.

I don't think we can argue that playing Mahrez out wide has been incredibly successful.

I don't think we can argue that playing Mahrez out wide has been incredibly successful.

Yeah absolutely but playing 4 at the back has been less successful than playing 3 (in terms of goals conceded). And I think Mahrez is coming on leaps and bounds and would be dictating games regardless of where he's played. There is also no doubt that RDL is receiving a lot less support defensively when Mahrez is ahead of him in a 442. 

Yeah absolutely but playing 4 at the back has been less successful than playing 3 (in terms of goals conceded). And I think Mahrez is coming on leaps and bounds and would be dictating games regardless of where he's played. There is also no doubt that RDL is receiving a lot less support defensively when Mahrez is ahead of him in a 442. 

It'll be a back four for the forseeable, I would anticipate that Benalouane coming in at RB which means we can switch to 343/3421 without the need for subs and meaning that Mahrez can be out wide as part of a front three.

I would envisage a tweak to 451/441 on occasion so we can maintain our width at all times but the way Ranieri speaks after every match it seems fairly certain that defensive shape as a four is the main focus.

Why would we change the formation to suit Schlupp? He doesn't win games like Mahrez and Vardy do, and Mahrez looks happy in this formation and can go at full backs and Vardy has support in Okazaki.

Play to your strengths and our big strength and match winner is Mahrez.

We saw in the past, players like Mahrez be moved to a central position, and lose their bite and effeciency.

He should stay where he is mostly, but could be tried out in other areas, during any given game.

While the players are on a role, no major tweeks, except maybe slowly introducing the new boys.

I am not too bothered about possesion stats, but the mean difference is not so good.It puts too much pressure on your

defencive players, midfield as well as defence.

If a team learns how to cut out our linking players and areas, when we counter attack, then possesion and holding the ball

will be imperative.Inlar and Drinkwater could be our big two players on this Issue.

With this in mind, I really wish we could have seen this lineup but with Nugent in behind the strikers before he was sold. The argument all off-season was that Mahrez would play in the hole and Nugent would back him up. I realize Mahrez being on the wing is a product of the 442, but it would have been worth taking a look at. I wouldn't mind if Ranieri tinkered with the front a bit with 3 of our 4 strikers playing and one of those three (Shinji or Kramaric) playing in the hole. 

Really liked what I saw from Inler in limited time yesterday. He seems calm and composed and I think he's going to end up being a true leader for this team. Could be a really solid foundation in the middle for a couple of years. 

Did anyone happen to get video from the stands during Mahrez's goal yesterday? 

With this in mind, I really wish we could have seen this lineup but with Nugent in behind the strikers before he was sold. The argument all off-season was that Mahrez would play in the hole and Nugent would back him up. I realize Mahrez being on the wing is a product of the 442, but it would have been worth taking a look at. I wouldn't mind if Ranieri tinkered with the front a bit with 3 of our 4 strikers playing and one of those three (Shinji or Kramaric) playing in the hole. 

Really liked what I saw from Inler in limited time yesterday. He seems calm and composed and I think he's going to end up being a true leader for this team. Could be a really solid foundation in the middle for a couple of years. 

Did anyone happen to get video from the stands during Mahrez's goal yesterday? 

I don't think Nugent is capable of playing the role that Okazaki does as effectively. Under the current system Vardy is asked to continue his tireless running but also look to get the ball into the area early for an on rushing Okazaki or deeper Mahrez. Nugent just doesn't have that level of nous, he's always a few yards further back than required and not a threat to the near post.

If we do deploy a deeper lying player then I imagine we may see Drinkwater or another dedicated midfielder there rather than a fwd.

thanks to riyad's equaliser i now haven't seen us lose live since man city (h) in december last year. 

since then my attendance record reads;

DWDDWWWWWD including games away to liverpool and everton and home to southampton, swansea and spurs. been a good 8 months not gonna lie. 

Some of these comments, deary me :nono:

That was pretty damn poor until Kante & Inler came on, when we scored we were pretty much all over them for the last ten minutes, purely because Kante & Inler showed more urgency than King & Drinkwater. King & Drinkwater looked decent for the first 15 minutes, after that they were a sack of shit, they were constantly getting overrun, lost out on many second balls & they slowed things down when they had the ball. I thought Albrighton & Okazaki struggled today as well, service into Okazaki was bad but when he did get the ball his touch was poor, it was probably Albrighton's worst performance for a while.

The defence were rarely troubled in the first 45 minutes, the back four were solid in the first half. Second half though mistakes started to creep in, Schlupp & De Laet looked physically knackered while Huth & Morgan were daydreaming at times; however all in all Wes & Huth had decent games.

Could of changed things earlier but he made the right substitutions, Kante & Inler changed the game for the last 10 minutes, one or both need to start against Bournemouth next week.

You talk some absolute b*******

Some of these comments, deary me :nono:

That was pretty damn poor until Kante & Inler came on, when we scored we were pretty much all over them for the last ten minutes, purely because Kante & Inler showed more urgency than King & Drinkwater. King & Drinkwater looked decent for the first 15 minutes, after that they were a sack of shit, they were constantly getting overrun, lost out on many second balls & they slowed things down when they had the ball. I thought Albrighton & Okazaki struggled today as well, service into Okazaki was bad but when he did get the ball his touch was poor, it was probably Albrighton's worst performance for a while.

The defence were rarely troubled in the first 45 minutes, the back four were solid in the first half. Second half though mistakes started to creep in, Schlupp & De Laet looked physically knackered while Huth & Morgan were daydreaming at times; however all in all Wes & Huth had decent games.

Could of changed things earlier but he made the right substitutions, Kante & Inler changed the game for the last 10 minutes, one or both need to start against Bournemouth next week.

Considering we were that shit I'm amazed we got away without losing 6-0.

Given that they were asked to play 2 v 3 in that heat, they did ok.

Ok lol

We were crying out for three in the middle way before 80 minutes, I'm not the only one who has said that despite a lot disagreeing with me also.

Given that they were asked to play 2 v 3 in that heat, they did ok.

They were poor.

They were dominated by dier (a centre back), mason (has less experience than king and drinky) and lamela (who has done nothing in english football).

They're battlers, nothing more.....weakest area of our team.

They're battlers, nothing more.....

you actually ever watched them play mate? Kingy is our highest scoring midfielder ever and Drinkwater absolutely ran the show in 13/14 and has done so far this season. Bit more than a couple of battlers imo.

you actually ever watched them play mate? Kingy is our highest scoring midfielder ever and Drinkwater absolutely ran the show in 13/14 and has done so far this season. Bit more than a couple of battlers imo.

Have you ever watched them play in the PREMIER LEAGUE?

Its a totally different game. Kingy looks better in a 3....reminds me joe allen though, decent ball retention but little else. But too lightweight in a 2.

Drinky hasn't impressed me as much as many others this season, he again gets bullied and lacks a killer pass whilst never being a goalscoring threat.

In 5 minutes yesterday inler was far more physical and kante offered more options.

I'm really not sure if we'll try to bring a bit more possession into our game or if we'll continue we've this fast and direct style. Possession isn't everything, it's what you do with and without the ball

True to a degree but when you've got the ball you're using much less energy than when you're chasing it side to side.

Spurs passed it left to right a lot yesterday, ok nothing really came of it but by doing this they're trying to pull our players out of position to break through as well as the sentence above.

Archived