Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
parisianfox

Kante

How things have changed. I no longer get worried when anybody picks up the ball in our half from the opposing team, I know the first man there will be Kante and he will be hounding them down.

That IS how things have changed.

Last season, opposition midfielders ran through us like a knife through butter.

Time and time again (Gerard, Lampard for instance), ghosted in, unopposed, to score.

This season the central midfielder feels 'safer'. It's more compact, it's faster, it's fitter, it's more bitey in the challenge.

It's simply much better.

Kante has been the biggest signing of the Premiership. There has been no signing last summer who has had a bigger impact on a single team than this man.

Unfortunately David Nish was just before my time and fair play I know he was considered a great player. The fact we are going back 40+ years shows how good Fuchs is and the impact he's had in two thirds of a season.

Sure.

No shame in being back-up to Nish.

That IS how things have changed.

Last season, opposition midfielders ran through us like a knife through butter.

Time and time again (Gerard, Lampard for instance), ghosted in, unopposed, to score.

This season the central midfielder feels 'safer'. It's more compact, it's faster, it's fitter, it's more bitey in the challenge.

It's simply much better.

Kante has been the biggest signing of the Premiership. There has been no signing last summer who has had a bigger impact on a single team than this man.

Blah blah blach... insert thinly veiled critisism of Cambiasso here.

Blah blah blach... insert thinly veiled critisism of Cambiasso here.

Wrong?

I suggest even you must agree this year's central midfield is utterly superior to last season's.

I think it's been THE biggest difference.

Position, goals conceded to opposition midfielders, player stats ALL confirm this.

Wrong?

I certainly wouldn't say that the comparative lack of goals from opposition central midfielders is due to personnel. You used the word "compact" in your original post which is exactly right - there's no space in our penalty area any more because we defend so narrow.

It's pretty rare that you see Kante tracking somebody deep into our penalty area, largely because he doesn't need to - there's already plenty of men in there to deal with it.

Not taking anything away from him at all, and I think you've hit the nail on the head with the change in shape.

Wrong?

I suggest even you must agree this year's central midfield is utterly superior to last season's.

I think it's been THE biggest difference.

Position, goals conceded to opposition midfielders, player stats ALL confirm this.

We've changed our entire defensive system.

Forget the tactical changes, which are actually a major factor. Lets look at players as well. Before Christmas you could pick a game at random and we'd probably have changed half the team from then. Southampton away, we were shit....

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Was

Drinkwater

James

King

Cambiasso

Vardy

Ulloa

Only four currently regular starters. It's the same for most games.

Of course it's better this year, but not just because of Kante being utterly amazing. I know you're desperate to still try and prove yourself right about Cambiasso.

Forget the tactical changes, which are actually a major factor. Lets look at players as well. Before Christmas you could pick a game at random and we'd probably have changed half the team from then. Southampton away, we were shit....

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Was

Drinkwater

James

King

Cambiasso

Vardy

Ulloa

Of course it's better this year, but not just because of Kante being utterly amazing. I know you're desperate to still try and prove yourself right about Cambiasso.

That's only 10 players Babs.

I can't believe we used 4 CMs at once so recently.

Kasper

De Laet

Morgan

Was

Drinkwater

James

King

Cambiasso

Vardy

Ulloa

I don't have to prove myself right. Look at all the stats. You love Sqwarka.

If you believe our defensive tightness is all about our back four, you're clearly desperate to prove me wrong!

Our back four has looked much better because our back four IS better (although Simpson looks a completely different player this season) AND they are protected by a central midfield that is stopping opposition attacks before they build up. We are winning so many second balls in the central midfield area and winning midfield duals.

But you keep on with your 'great defence' theory. Personally, I think it's so much more than that. And you are very much underselling Kante by so doing.

Guest bss9401

:nono:

He walked across the Channel.  :D

Indeed I stand corrected! I also believe that between games he is put into a large playpen with a ball and he never actually stops.

I wished they didn't just show relays of our goals. I want to see replays of Kanté tackles. He seems to casually run towards the opposition and just wills the ball towards himself, as if he's using the force. And then he's off again. His tackling ability isn't good. It's supernatural.

We're actually well schooled in what we do collectively when defending.

We're like big cats hunting as a group.

We have a basic set up then seek to isolate anyone who's the victim of a slightly misguided pass or a bad first touch.

Then one player closes him but doesn't commit unless success seems certain. He waits while a hidden defender - often coming from a more attacking area, homes in and either pinches the ball himself or creates the panic that forces further error from the victim.

The key is in waiting for those bad touches and slowing attackers til there's cover for any tackler.

Another aspect is the way we swarm over the victim once he's been isolated. It's fierce but controlled and very effective.

And Kante is immense in these cameos because he's so quick, has such a low centre of gravity and just won't be shaken off.

If I had to give him a mark for his season so far it would be a 10. Not because he's never had a less than brilliant game, but because of his extraordinary level of consistency and that on coming into a new club and settling into a new country. He ran onto the pitch and looked like he belonged from the off. I really couldn't speak more highly of him.

I don't have to prove myself right. Look at all the stats. You love Sqwarka.

If you believe our defensive tightness is all about our back four, you're clearly desperate to prove me wrong!

Our back four has looked much better because our back four IS better (although Simpson looks a completely different player this season) AND they are protected by a central midfield that is stopping opposition attacks before they build up. We are winning so many second balls in the central midfield area and winning midfield duals.

But you keep on with your 'great defence' theory. Personally, I think it's so much more than that. And you are very much underselling Kante by so doing.

What stats are they then, do show.

I never said it's just about the back four did I. Our whole defensive structure has changed, it's more than just one player... no matter how exceptional he has been. If you don't think we've totally changed how we defend when the oppo has the ball then it's a pointless conversation.

Archived