Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

15 minutes ago, Barky said:

UK beaten by a host of different countries at basic education despite having some of the highest paid teachers and most costly system around

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38157811

Perhaps if the powers that be didn't use education as a political football and change things up every year or two then perhaps things might get better.

Of course, we could emulate the Korean system which is world class. Shame about the teen suicide rate that would go through the roof, though.

15-20 out of 70 isn't bad. I believe a lot of the countries nearer the top like Singapore fail to include results of children with special educational needs. And is 'top performing' merely a reflection of exam success?

Having said that we seem to value education less than other countries. Case in point is how 'educated' and 'expert' seemed to be used as pejoratives in the referendum campaign.

23 hours ago, bovril said:

15-20 out of 70 isn't bad. I believe a lot of the countries nearer the top like Singapore fail to include results of children with special educational needs. And is 'top performing' merely a reflection of exam success?

Having said that we seem to value education less than other countries. Case in point is how 'educated' and 'expert' seemed to be used as pejoratives in the referendum campaign.

I think this is a really valid point. Exams results aren't be the be all and end all of your education. 

Another note on a similar thread is that China is ahead of us, but surely a totalitarian regime such as theirs is bound to score better in this type of research.

On 06 December 2016 at 12:51, Barky said:

UK beaten by a host of different countries at basic education despite having some of the highest paid teachers and most costly system around

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38157811

where's the mantra Education, Education, Education gone lol

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 13:09, leicsmac said:

Perhaps if the powers that be didn't use education as a political football and change things up every year or two then perhaps things might get better.

Of course, we could emulate the Korean system which is world class. Shame about the teen suicide rate that would go through the roof, though.

Many of today's teachers are just plain bloody ignorant. How can we improve education, with the low grade standards of teaching in schools that we we call, education? Heaven help us!

47 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Many of today's teachers are just plain bloody ignorant. How can we improve education, with the low grade standards of teaching in schools that we we call, education? Heaven help us!

My 11 yr old son told me that in one of his lessons on Monday he spent 2 hrs watching Home Alone 2. Apparently an early Christmas treat.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 13:25, foxy boxing said:

they really should have sorted all the legal stuff on Brexit before the referendum result and not after. makes a mockery of politics in this country and looks like politicians can't do anything right.

Cameron knew exactly what he was doing,lose and it won't stand legally, his final coup de grace, he's probably got a huge cheesy smile on his face now as he is quaffing his Chateau Neuf du Pape.

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

As usual, we disagree totally on the cause of the problem.

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As usual, we disagree totally on the cause of the problem.

Absolutely! I have had the pleasure of working in a few schools recently and actually seeing the challenges faced by the teaching staff, well it's changed my stance completely.

Not all schools face the same challenges and not all the teachers have the same skills, which is why a rigid curriculum and system doesn't work. It needs to have some flexibility and class sizes need to be reduced otherwise it will continue to underperform.

We home educate our 4 so I cant really comment on the standard of teaching, but our system seems incredibly rigid.

As I see it the problem is not necessarily with teachers but with a system which effectively lobs 30 kids together each day and says to them hey square peg get in that round hole.

30 minutes ago, Webbo said:

From what I've heard, I'd guess that Singapore's system is far more rigid than ours.

Singapore is a pretty rigid conservative culture though in a way that we are not. 

We actually used Singapore Maths which is what the state schools use in Singapore and the interesting thing about it was that it was very focused on logic and problem solving and learning to think for yourself. Our system is all about teaching kids how to pass exams.

I can sort of see why people are against the Asian style of education with long classroom hours which must limit the kids' freedom to grow and learn independently, but coming 27th in maths we're not just behind them but behind a whole range of countries with a range of different systems. It's no excuse just to say that all the other systems are inferior overall when we're doing so badly teaching basic skills.

Maybe in this age of overwhelming opportunities for distraction getting kids in classrooms focussed on learning for longer hours is a good thing anyway.

Boris Jonhnson ramblings. He's a bit like a wedding - somethings old, somethings new, somethings borrowed, somethings blue (Tory and Rude) and sometimes true?

Boris Johnson has accused Britain's ally, Saudi Arabia, of engaging in "proxy wars" in the Middle East.

The Guardian newspaper has published footage in which the foreign secretary talks of politicians "twisting and abusing religion" for political gain.

He said Saudi Arabia and Iran were "puppeteering" because of a lack of strong leadership in the region.

The Foreign Office said Saudi Arabia was an ally and the UK supported its efforts to secure its borders.

In the footage from last week, Mr Johnson said: "There are politicians who are twisting and abusing religion and different strains of the same religion in order to further their own political objectives.

"That's one of the biggest political problems in the whole region. And the tragedy for me - and that's why you have these proxy wars being fought the whole time in that area - is that there is not strong enough leadership in the countries themselves."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38245902

so tank chasing lawyers are at it again, this time chasing all our troops who served in northern Ireland to see if they have done anything wrong. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING . so terrorists who kill people can get off because of the agreements but they can still hound our brave troops who were only doing there job. pathetic. our soldiers on the front line need protecting from this sort of thing and any prosecution should be to the politicians of the day who were responsible for putting troops in an impossible situation and something that they themselves would not be able to do or handle. protection of soldiers doing their job should be written into British law and no way should are brave soldiers be kept being hounded.

I'd almost forgotten that there's another by-election tonight: Sleaford & North Hykeham (Lincolnshire).

It's a strong Tory / Brexit area, so presumably the only question is whether UKIP can launch any sort of challenge to the Tories.

Not heard much, so I'm assuming that the Tories are going to hold this seat comfortably....but might be wrong.

I suppose any potential UKIP challenge has been undermined by (a) UKIP's series of leadership & punch-up fiascos in recent months; (b) the fact that the PM appears to be pursuing a Hard Brexit line.

Even so, you'd expect UKIP to make some inroads. If they come close to winning, it'll be a sign of frustration among Brexiters that the Govt isn't getting on with Brexit quicker, I suppose.

If the Tories win by a country mile, maybe it suggests that Brexit types aren't too dissatisfied with how things are progressing...?

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'd almost forgotten that there's another by-election tonight: Sleaford & North Hykeham (Lincolnshire).

It's a strong Tory / Brexit area, so presumably the only question is whether UKIP can launch any sort of challenge to the Tories.

Not heard much, so I'm assuming that the Tories are going to hold this seat comfortably....but might be wrong.

I suppose any potential UKIP challenge has been undermined by (a) UKIP's series of leadership & punch-up fiascos in recent months; (b) the fact that the PM appears to be pursuing a Hard Brexit line.

Even so, you'd expect UKIP to make some inroads. If they come close to winning, it'll be a sign of frustration among Brexiters that the Govt isn't getting on with Brexit quicker, I suppose.

If the Tories win by a country mile, maybe it suggests that Brexit types aren't too dissatisfied with how things are progressing...?

I'd totally forgot about that.

Conservative Caroline Johnson has won the Sleaford and North Hykeham by-election, while Labour were pushed into fourth behind UKIP and the Lib Dems.

The Conservatives held the seat, after former MP Stephen Phillips quit, citing "irreconcilable policy differences" with the government.

Dr Johnson won 17,570 votes to beat UKIP's Victoria Ayling, who had 4,426.

Labour slipped from second place in 2015 to fourth - described by one veteran Labour MP as "appalling".

Consultant paediatrician Dr Johnson said her election would boost Theresa May's support on Brexit.

She said: "I look forward to strengthening the government's majority in Parliament so Theresa May, our prime minister, can get on with the job of triggering Article 50, leaving the European Union and building a country and economy that works for everyone."

UKIP's 'great result'

The seat has returned Conservative MPs since it was formed in 1997 and Mr Phillips, who resigned in November, had a majority of more than 24,000 votes in 2015.

Although he backed leaving the EU, he had since been critical of the government's approach to Brexit.

Dr Johnson won with a 13,144 majority after securing 53.51% of the votes, while UKIP came in second with 13.48%.

Liberal Democrat candidate Ross Pepper won 3,606 votes to clinch third, narrowly ahead of Labour's Jim Clarke who was fourth with 3,363 votes.

Archived