Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

2016 Deathlist

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Dont just listen to the American propaganda. Research, question, listen to experts and maybe even think for yourself.

Far from perfect, but Cuban's were better off for his efforts

Castro put homosexuals in jail in the 60s and you said the Australian govt was worse than ISIS because they didn't legalise gay marriage.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Castro put homosexuals in jail in the 60s and you said the Australian govt was worse than ISIS because they didn't legalise gay marriage.

I'm not getting dragged into the Castro debate as I don't know enough about his regime beyond the fact that he did some good stuff (health, education) and some bad stuff (human rights, lack of democracy) - and that the economy didn't prosper for a combination of reasons (a combination of ineffective economic centralisation & US trade embargoes).

However, I've got to pick you up on that comment about gay people being jailed in Cuba in the 1960s.....gay people were jailed in the UK in the 1960s!! :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm not getting dragged into the Castro debate as I don't know enough about his regime beyond the fact that he did some good stuff (health, education) and some bad stuff (human rights, lack of democracy) - and that the economy didn't prosper for a combination of reasons (a combination of ineffective economic centralisation & US trade embargoes).

However, I've got to pick you up on that comment about gay people being jailed in Cuba in the 1960s.....gay people were jailed in the UK in the 1960s!! :thumbup:

To labour camps?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

To labour camps?

Not great, if true, obviously, but hardly fair to expect the same standards of a third-world Caribbean island in the wake of a revolution as you do of a developed nation like the UK with a long history of democracy....

While not perfect, it seems that Cuba's attitude to homosexuality has improved massively over recent decades - as has ours (though maybe we'll see that go into reverse now?).

Anyway, even I could find better sticks to beat Castro than his attitude to sexuality 50 years ago!

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Not great, if true, obviously, but hardly fair to expect the same standards of a third-world Caribbean island in the wake of a revolution as you do of a developed nation like the UK with a long history of democracy....

While not perfect, it seems that Cuba's attitude to homosexuality has improved massively over recent decades - as has ours (though maybe we'll see that go into reverse now?).

Anyway, even I could find better sticks to beat Castro than his attitude to sexuality 50 years ago!

Ozleicester has a gay pride flag as his avatar, just pointing out his hypocrisy.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Ozleicester has a gay pride flag as his avatar, just pointing out his hypocrisy.

I'll leave the two of you to that debate. But Oz posted about his daughter's gay marriage a few months back, didn't he? (Forgive me if that's mistaken identity). I assume that explains his avatar?

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'll leave the two of you to that debate. But Oz posted about his daughter's gay marriage a few months back, didn't he? (Forgive me if that's mistaken identity). I assume that explains his avatar?

Quite.

Besides, I'm not sure a reason is required to show support for a group that is still marginalised in most places and threatened with marginalisation in most of the rest.

7 hours ago, Webbo said:

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

No hypocrisy there, your right he did that in the 60s, But so was pretty much every other country in the world. He also had criminals and traitors (IHO) killed and i dont support capital punishment. But again this was the style of the day, it was wrong and the world in the main has evolved beyond it. Well except the good ol USA where most people get their "information" about Castro.

He replaced Batista perhaps those denigrating Castro need look at who he replaced and why he was supported. He gave the Cubans free healthcare, Free Education, a better standard of living (until the USA blockaded Cuba), he nationalised companies and put the incomes back into Cuba. 

He was far from perfect, but the gulping down by the masses of the American propaganda is sickening. (did you watch the clip?)

14 minutes ago, Beliall said:

I'm glad you had a good year, but celebrity deaths aside, mine has been shit

I might be misinterpreting, but suspect @bovril's "greatest year of all time" comment referred to our Premier League win.

I'll join you in the shit year club, though (league title notwithstanding): father's decline & death, outstanding hassles over mother's death, shaky marriage, shaky work income, parenting issues, minor heart surgery, difficult brother, difficult nephew....the sad loss of Bowie, Cohen, Prince Buster & company pales in comparison. Lucky that I'm a stubbornly resilient, wilfully positive fvcker. 2017 has got to be better than 2016, hasn't it? Hasn't it?! :unsure:

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

I might be misinterpreting, but suspect @bovril's "greatest year of all time" comment referred to our Premier League win.

I'll join you in the shit year club, though (league title notwithstanding): father's decline & death, outstanding hassles over mother's death, shaky marriage, shaky work income, parenting issues, minor heart surgery, difficult brother, difficult nephew....the sad loss of Bowie, Cohen, Prince Buster & company pales in comparison. Lucky that I'm a stubbornly resilient, wilfully positive fvcker. 2017 has got to be better than 2016, hasn't it? Hasn't it?! :unsure:

Sorry to hear all that, Alf. Hold onto that idealism!

I'm glad that 2016 has been a reasonable year from a personal perspective for me because with the way the world has shifted and so many good people dying it would have been REALLY difficult otherwise, rather than just worrying.

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Alf. Lets hope for a better 2017 eh?

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Sorry to hear all that, Alf. Hold onto that idealism!

I'm glad that 2016 has been a reasonable year from a personal perspective for me because with the way the world has shifted and so many good people dying it would have been REALLY difficult otherwise, rather than just worrying.

19 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Alf. Lets hope for a better 2017 eh?

Thanks, lads! Hope 2017 is a better one for you, too, Beliall - and that your (and my) worst fears about the state of the world aren't fulfilled, Leicsmac.

Idealism is great, but stubborn wilfulness is even better on a personal level! Cue Gloria Gaynor.... ;)

On 11/28/2016 at 16:19, Webbo said:

Oz with an inconsistent over the top borderline ridiculous argument, don't believe it.  Worse than ISIS lol joker. 

And actually I think most of you will find we were decriminalizing Homosexuality in the 60's not sending HS's to labour camps

Archived