Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

1 minute ago, Smudge said:

To beat Reading's max points total, we need 31 points from 14 games = 2.20 ppg

Over the last 14 games we have accumulated 35 points = 2.5 ppg

It's possible!!

Think that needs adjusting as we have 15 games left to play 

We have 33 points from the last 15 @ 2.2ppg

Required 2.06ppg

• Like 2

Just now, Motty said:

Think that needs adjusting as we have 15 games left to play 

We have 33 points from the last 15 @ 2.2ppg

Required 2.06ppg

Yeah I spotted that and revised it

West Brom in 5th are closer to the relegation zone than to us.

If we hadn't conceded those two late equalisers Vs Ipswich, they'd nearly be at that point as well (21 behind us and 29 ahead of 22nd)

Edited by The Doctor
  • Haha 1

Just worked out (so maybe I'm wrong, but I think I'm correct) we're the only team from either the Premier League, Championship, League 1 or League 2 that is mathematically safe from relegation

*Edit, barring any fixtures match ups that I just can't be bothered to sit and work out, that may see another team or 2 being mathematically safe 😂😂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

Since the 1988/89 season, which was the first to be played with a 2nd tier consisting of 24 teams and 3 points for a win, a structure which has been maintained in the 2nd tier ever since, there have been only 2 seasons when our current points total of 75 wasn't sufficient to finish in 6th place or higher.

Those were the 2014/15 season when 78 points were needed for 6th place and the 2016/17 season when 76 points were needed.

The lowest points total needed for a 6th place finish has been 68 in the 2005/06 season and in the 2012/13 season.

So in 33 of the last 35 seasons, 75 points has been enough to finish 6th or higher. I predict that this season the required total for 6th will be on the low side, possibly even lower than 68, because the top 3 teams will have taken so many points away from other teams and all 3 will probably exceed 90 points.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

That looks highly realistic.

However, I still worry we might be the team to break the points record yet Leeds and Saints get 108!

Leeds to get 108

W15 D0 L0!

Southampton to get 108

W14 D2 L0

W15 D0 L1 (109)

As Leeds and Southampton play each other, they would both need to win 15 games, with Southampton's only defeat being to Leeds. If they do that, fine, we will just have to win the playoffs!

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, FOXSE said:

Leeds to get 108

W15 D0 L0!

Southampton to get 108

W14 D2 L0

W15 D0 L1 (109)

As Leeds and Southampton play each other, they would both need to win 15 games, with Southampton's only defeat being to Leeds. If they do that, fine, we will just have to win the playoffs!

Or to put it another way - one more win (or Saints & Leeds drop points), then our fate is entirely in our own hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Or to put it another way - one more win (or Saints & Leeds drop points), then our fate is entirely in our own hands.

Yes, and I can add the required results required for promotion as rivals drop points....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This is unbelievable, in a great season with many great performances, for me, he is player of the season by a long way.

CDD46708-D87C-4D18-A3FE-71E9951E931B.jpeg

Wouldn't say by a long way, the Danish duo Vesty and Hermansen is also up there! Wouldn't be surprised if more than 50% of those passes were to one of them. Those 3 makes the whole Enzo ball possible and freeing up the creatives in front, to get in favorable positions and matchups!

59 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This is unbelievable, in a great season with many great performances, for me, he is player of the season by a long way.

CDD46708-D87C-4D18-A3FE-71E9951E931B.jpeg

Midfielder, yes, but....

sgsdszggz.jpg.2b9660b7bd8ba111442728dec1ff0dc5.jpg

Edited by Lillehamring
  • Like 4

What a load of nonsense. Who cares if you can keep possession and complete a high % of passes fannying around at the back. 

In 2015/16, we averaged 42.4% possession and were 2nd lowest in the League in passing %. 

Yet we won the league with our no nonsense "get it forward" approach. 

Enzo could learn a thing or 2 from another Italian... 

(I am joking, but I do think a % north of 90% does say more about playing the easy ball than trying to beat the opposition, so don't necessarily think its a metric that should be lauded too much for a midfielder). 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

What a load of nonsense. Who cares if you can keep possession and complete a high % of passes fannying around at the back. 

In 2015/16, we averaged 42.4% possession and were 2nd lowest in the League in passing %. 

Yet we won the league with our no nonsense "get it forward" approach. 

Enzo could learn a thing or 2 from another Italian... 

(I am joking, but I do think a % north of 90% does say more about playing the easy ball than trying to beat the opposition, so don't necessarily think its a metric that should be lauded too much for a midfielder). 

What those stats don't show though is the amount of progressive passes that that inculdes - vestergard has almost twice the progressive distance of winks and 2nd most in the league behind viktor johannsen, but winks ranks 8th overall for number of progressive passes; Winks is ranked #1 for passes into the final third, with 242, closest to that is 227.  So they are playing a lot of easy balls, sure, but they still rank high in productive passing

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

What those stats don't show though is the amount of progressive passes that that inculdes - vestergard has almost twice the progressive distance of winks and 2nd most in the league behind viktor johannsen, but winks ranks 8th overall for number of progressive passes; Winks is ranked #1 for passes into the final third, with 242, closest to that is 227.  So they are playing a lot of easy balls, sure, but they still rank high in productive passing

I can't even do devil's advocate well! 

But agree - the stats on progressive passes and passes in the final third are a much better indicator that pure %, and Winks is very impressive in that metric. 

10 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

I can't even do devil's advocate well! 

But agree - the stats on progressive passes and passes in the final third are a much better indicator that pure %, and Winks is very impressive in that metric. 

You had a fair point, we are good at pumping up the % stats with little in-game training drills!

On 10/02/2024 at 17:39, FOXSE said:

For 107 points record:

Required From now

W10 D2 L3

Current to date

W24 D3 L4

For 107 points record:

Required From now

W9 D2 L3

Current to date

W25 D3 L4

IF MY MATHS ARE CORRECT, THIS WILL ALSO GUARANTEE PROMOTION!

Edited by FOXSE
Additional text.