Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

At the risk of being accused of going slightly off topic I passed this on a steep hill in Somerset this morning. Someone should have saved their Chelsea tractor for the school run! At the bottom of the hill there was a Police - Road Closed sign, following another accident on Thursday evening. The Mitsubishi driver apparently chose to ignore the sign. 

PC Plod didn't have the gumption to put up another sign at the other end of the road, so blissfully aware of the motorised carnage on the other side of the hill, I drove through where the other sign should have been and about ten minutes later found this. Without 4-wheel drive, traction control or any other advanced technology on the two apparently more suitable vehicles, but a little heart-in-mouth, I made it safely, but rather slowly, to the bottom. 

10.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Lads. Got a 6 or 7 inch crack across my windscreen. Please tell me I can get it fixed and won't need an entire replacement? Insurance says it will cost £100 that I can do without spending right now. 

You can get it fixed and won't need an entire replacement. 

19 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Lads. Got a 6 or 7 inch crack across my windscreen. Please tell me I can get it fixed and won't need an entire replacement? Insurance says it will cost £100 that I can do without spending right now. 

I'm no expert but I'll be surprised if that can be fixed.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Just put your phone holder over it to hide it, that’s what I’d do....

34 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Do you seriously want to risk driving down the motorway with a 7 inch crack in your windshield? 

57 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Stick some sellotape over it. You'll be reet. 

On 02/02/2019 at 21:28, The Fox Covert said:

At the risk of being accused of going slightly off topic I passed this on a steep hill in Somerset this morning. Someone should have saved their Chelsea tractor for the school run! At the bottom of the hill there was a Police - Road Closed sign, following another accident on Thursday evening. The Mitsubishi driver apparently chose to ignore the sign. 

PC Plod didn't have the gumption to put up another sign at the other end of the road, so blissfully aware of the motorised carnage on the other side of the hill, I drove through where the other sign should have been and about ten minutes later found this. Without 4-wheel drive, traction control or any other advanced technology on the two apparently more suitable vehicles, but a little heart-in-mouth, I made it safely, but rather slowly, to the bottom. 

10.png

Ah you suggesting that is a Chelsea tractor?  Looks like a Mitsubishi to me.

Am in the process of buying a third car in 3 months. In December my son was in a RTA, and his car was a write-off. (The other vehicle was stolen, the driver was drunk, and left the scene of the accident. Fortunately he was arrested shortly after). My son needs a car to get to work, he couldn't afford one; got him a Skoda Rapid.

Secondly, I'd promised (incentived) my daughter that as and when she passed her driving test, I'd get her a car. Typically, after many attempts, she's now gone and passed. Skoda Fabia for her.

And we're already ordered a (wheelchair adapted) Peugeot Rifter, which arrives later this month, and which another son needs.  Luckily the I'm on good terms with the bank manager.

I’d like a new (to me) car. My target car is an Audi A3   Had one for a few months as a temp company cAr and loved it. 

My focus is looking a bit worn out now but I just can’t justify a loan to get an upgrade...

sad thing is I earn a decent salary but my money is all accounted for ... 

14 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Looking forward to the 2019 Clio, they've done great things on the interior. One of the best compact cars out there. Love my driving experiences with the fourth generation models.

I was given a brand new rented clio on a 400+ mile round I took a couple years back and I must say I was impressed. Nothing special as such but an enjoyable drive for sure.

19 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Just realised my new car is an automatic. I’ve never driven one before is it worth me test driving one to see or just **** it and wait till mine arrives and figure it out then. 

There's really nothing to figure out mate. If my wife can work it out then you've got no problem.

P.S. I bet you never go back to a manual ever again

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There's really nothing to figure out mate. If my wife can work it out then you've got no problem.

P.S. I bet you never go back to a manual ever again

Yeah I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Just seems weird not changing gears 

Just now, Unabomber said:

Yeah I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Just seems weird not changing gears 

It's not weird, it's fvcking great :thumbup:

My guess is yours might have a 'tiptronic' manual over-ride sports mode? If so, you can have some fun with that and rev the fvck out of it and just 'nudge' the auto stick up and down to shift gears if you fancy it. My old Jag has got it but I never use it.

The only thing with an auto is not to 'ride your brakes' which means always nudge it into neutral when stationary. If you press the brakes when in 'drive' mode you'll fvck em up over time (like my wife does!) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's not weird, it's fvcking great :thumbup:

My guess is yours might have a 'tiptronic' manual over-ride sports mode? If so, you can have some fun with that and rev the fvck out of it and just 'nudge' the auto stick up and down to shift gears if you fancy it. My old Jag has got it but I never use it.

The only thing with an auto is not to 'ride your brakes' which means always nudge it into neutral when stationary. If you press the brakes when in 'drive' mode you'll fvck em up over time (like my wife does!) 

Thanks for the advice mate 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Thanks for the advice mate 

Make sure you give us a review on here mate when you've driven it a bit :thumbup:

I'm due a new motor this year and seriously considering a 3 series again. I had one many years ago and it's probably still my favorite ever car. They're the nuts and you'll love it.