Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Going to look at a car tomorrow and arranging something on PCP for it. I'm hoping to part exchange my car towards it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the car assuming it is all okay. 

Can these things be completed within the day or am I likely going to have to come back another day? I only ask as it's in Chesterfield and I don't really want to have to do the journey again if I can help it. 

1 hour ago, Ozwin said:

Going to look at a car tomorrow and arranging something on PCP for it. I'm hoping to part exchange my car towards it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the car assuming it is all okay. 

Can these things be completed within the day or am I likely going to have to come back another day? I only ask as it's in Chesterfield and I don't really want to have to do the journey again if I can help it. 

Depends what time you get there, have you already done the credit checks with them? That can be approved or rejected instantly or I’ve known places to take up to 24 hours. 

The car you are buying might not have an mot or need minor work doing which again could delay things. 

Edited by Steve_Walsh5

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Think that’s what I’ll go for.

Good choice. Golf's are decent motors but they're not, you know... a BMW.

I've had a few decent cars over the years but the BMW 3 series I had is probably still my favorite.

There's just something that extra bit special about driving a BMW IMHO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Good choice. Golf's are decent motors but they're not, you know... a BMW.

I've had a few decent cars over the years but the BMW 3 series I had is probably still my favorite.

There's just something that extra bit special about driving a BMW IMHO.

Yeah I currently have a bmw 120d coupe but I have to have the company car now due to mileage. So just didn’t know as never had a VW before

On 22/11/2018 at 21:24, simFox said:

Went to get my car picked up for servicing while I'm away, battery is on a conditioner. Wouldn't start. New battery and still dead.

Do cars catch viruses? Was working bloody fine when I left, it hasn't moved!

When you say it isn't starting, does it crank? 

How long has it been standing for?

12 hours ago, Saxondale said:

When you say it isn't starting, does it crank? 

How long has it been standing for?

No idea, I'm still out the UK, so I've got someone going round to look at it. Might be the Body Control Module from my internet searches, which is some kind of power distribution module that connects to the battery. Diagnosis + part + replacement + programming.... Doubt I'd get much change out of £750.. standing since July, but on the battery conditioner.

Edited by simFox

On 24/11/2018 at 12:40, simFox said:

No idea, I'm still out the UK, so I've got someone going round to look at it. Might be the Body Control Module from my internet searches, which is some kind of power distribution module that connects to the battery. Diagnosis + part + replacement + programming.... Doubt I'd get much change out of £750.. standing since July, but on the battery conditioner.

If it's an ignition issue, start my ruling out the cheapest parts, i.e. the spark plugs, ignition leads and HT lead.

Well well here's an interesting piece i read this morning ...   what a load of bleedin goblydegook !! ...    onboard butler indeed !!    So, we now have a car that will iron your shirt before you go out, fix you a drink when you get home from work ...   and sort things out when you get in a scrape ...   my, my ...   haven't we come a long way since the Model T.

IMG_1426.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Well well here's an interesting piece i read this morning ...   what a load of bleedin goblydegook !! ...    onboard butler indeed !!    So, we now have a car that will iron your shirt before you go out, fix you a drink when you get home from work ...   and sort things out when you get in a scrape ...   my, my ...   haven't we come a long way since the Model T.

IMG_1426.jpg

Land Rovers aren't vehicles for people that live in the country any more, but just another very expensive Chelsea tractor.

Does anyone else know someone whose electric handbrake failed on their Disco/Range Rover? The motor and electronics are just where they are going to get sprayed with the maximum amount of muck when going off-road, so it is not surprising that they eventually fail. And it is typically the thick end of a grand to fix it.

There is a hilarious Youtube video showing some Hooray Henry who shows off his Range Rover to his mates. Waves foot under the back bumper and the tailgate opens, the lower half folding down to form a table. He gets out drinks and nibbles and puts them on the table. When everyone is about to get stuck in a dog runs under the back bumper. The 'table' promptly closes, spilling all the drinks onto the boot floor.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Depends if you prefer front or rear wheel drive. BMW's are not the best in snow and ice unless you get winter tyres fitted.

No longer have a choice I’ll be getting a 3 series so hopefully it’s good. I love rear wheel drive but I know exactly what you mean about snow as nearly wrote my 1 Series off earlier this year due to ice.

27 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

No longer have a choice I’ll be getting a 3 series so hopefully it’s good. I love rear wheel drive but I know exactly what you mean about snow as nearly wrote my 1 Series off earlier this year due to ice.

I've got winter tyres on my 1 Series coupe. Gives you a better chance.

7 hours ago, Countryfox said:

IMG_1426.jpg

Let’s hope it doesn’t intelligently sift your internet search history :thumbup: 

8 hours ago, Countryfox said:

IMG_1426.jpg

Will it at least do the honourable thing and give you a wank?

On 15/11/2018 at 20:31, Unabomber said:

Think that’s what I’ll go for.

good choice. 

had the 1 series 2.0 m-sport x-drive so it was fine in the snow too but yeah good luck getting it up any hills in the snow if it's just the rwd version. lol

apart from that it's quick and handles nicely. way less boring than the golf. 

edit: just seen later posts.

Edited by lifted*fox

48 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

good choice. 

had the 1 series 2.0 m-sport x-drive so it was fine in the snow too but yeah good luck getting it up any hills in the snow if it's just the rwd version. lol

apart from that it's quick and handles nicely. way less boring than the golf. 

edit: just seen later posts.

Absolutely impossible in the snow. Do love the drive though