Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Mrs O thought it a good idea to get used to driving my new automatic

Don’t know what she was doing but I had multiple “fly hitting the windscreen” experiences in a 20 minute “drive”

Despite my encouragement she’s not driven it again 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

9 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Mrs O thought it a good idea to get used to driving my new automatic

Don’t know what she was doing but I had multiple “fly hitting the windscreen” experiences in a 20 minute “drive”

Despite my encouragement she’s not driven it again 

Was she trying to use both feet?

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Currently have my own car which I need to tax this month, but getting a company car in March/April. Can I have a refund on the car tax I need for my current car?

If you SORN your current car you’ll get any full months as a refund.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Car arrived yesterday love it and @Steve_Walsh5 you are right I won’t go back to a manual now. Had a meeting in Exeter today so plenty of time to get used to it. 

I have also moved from manual to auto. Absolutely love it. Didn't think I would.... 3litre v6 helps.?

4 minutes ago, adam1 said:

I have also moved from manual to auto. Absolutely love it. Didn't think I would.... 3litre v6 helps.?

Nice one mate

it was weird for first drive but once you’re used to it it is class. I just put it in sport and floor it great fun 

31 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Nice one mate

it was weird for first drive but once you’re used to it it is class. I just put it in sport and floor it great fun 

The only other autos i have driven is the birds 1.4 skoda and 1.4 nissan.

So i probably shouldnt criticise autos based on those two!

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Car arrived yesterday love it and @Steve_Walsh5 you are right I won’t go back to a manual now. Had a meeting in Exeter today so plenty of time to get used to it. 

You went for the 320 sport in the end didn’t you? If so they are lovely looking cars. 

People say that Autos take the fun away from driving but I think the opposite. You can use the paddle shift and like you said knock it down into sports mode and it’s much easier to overtake when needs be. 

10 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

You went for the 320 sport in the end didn’t you? If so they are lovely looking cars. 

People say that Autos take the fun away from driving but I think the opposite. You can use the paddle shift and like you said knock it down into sports mode and it’s much easier to overtake when needs be. 

Yes mate the new 320d sport think it’s an 8 speee auto. Like you say it is way more fun to drive than a manual absolutely rapid.

Would fully recommend the new 3 series if anyone was considering it.

• 2 months later...

Alright my dudes.

Seriously thinking of getting a new motor. Was curious about a particular model, so went to have a look at one second-hand at a dealer at the weekend, ended up test-driving it. I love it and the Mrs. is obsessed. 

If we were to go for it, I'm unsure whether to go with a personal loan or finance through my bank. I have no experience of either.

It seems as though although the interest rate is slightly higher on a personal loan (like, 0.1 percent) it gives me more freedom as a consumer as the loan is not secured against the car. Therefore if I happen to fall upon hard times (unlikely, but still) then I can sell the car to pay back the loan.

With finance I'm tied into the deal until it finishes, or there's a cancellation clause within the contract after a certain % of the value has been repaid.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Edited by RoboFox

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

If my clutch got stuck twice earlier today is that a sign its on its way out and needs replacing?

What do you mean by stuck? You pressed the clutch pedal & it didn't come back up?  If that's the case, it could be a number of things (e.g. clutch master/slave cylinder).  It could mean a new clutch, but there's quite a few cheaper possibilities.  A good garage should be able to have a look at it for you, tell you what needs doing & ask you (before starting any work) if you want it doing.

33 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

What do you mean by stuck? You pressed the clutch pedal & it didn't come back up?  If that's the case, it could be a number of things (e.g. clutch master/slave cylinder).  It could mean a new clutch, but there's quite a few cheaper possibilities.  A good garage should be able to have a look at it for you, tell you what needs doing & ask you (before starting any work) if you want it doing.

Going from second to third the clutch effectively got stuck half way up. Only way to free it off was by hand.

Edited by SemperEadem

6 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Going from second to third the clutch effectively got stuck half way up. Only way to free it off was by hand.

I would describe myself as an amateur mechanic & it's difficult to tell without looking at a few things.  From what you've said, it's obviously not good, but it still doesn't necessarily mean your clutch is shagged.  

My best advice is, take it to a reputable garage.  If you don't know one, maybe someone on here can recommend someone that's in your area.  They'll know pretty much straight away what's wrong, how much it's going to cost & then it's up to you to say yes or no.

If you're in the Blaby/Narborough/Cosby area..........I use a garage on Cambridge Rd in Cosby.  It isn't cheap (nowhere is), but I know I can trust them & they know what they're doing.