Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Champions League 2016/17

Russian champions elect, they're ahead of CSKA Moscow and Zenit so they would deserve Pot 1. Pot 1 isn't arbitrary it's made up of the league winners of the top 7/8 countries in Europe ranked by coefficients.

http://uk.soccerway.com/national/russia/premier-league/20152016/regular-season/r31690/?ICID=SN_01_08

Of course, not saying they don't deserve to be pot 1. Just wondering where they have come from to be ahead of the Moscow clubs and zenit.

We're Champions of England in waiting mate.

I want an easy draw so we have a greater chance of progression not glamour ties so we can put up a fight and eventually roll over.

This. Progress and the glamour times will come later on in the tournament anyway for those that want them.

We can get through the group, people need to believe this.

Define: Doing a Leicester.

To Leicester, is to pull off possibly the greatest sporting achievement of all time, going into the arguably flawed pot system of the Champions League, which puts us into the top pot for winning the league, and incredibly we still end up not being the smallest club in it.

Rostov lol

Updated after this weekend and the latest European fixtures

If italic's the club has qualified for Champions League group stages. If Bold, the club are confirmed Champions. 

The assumption is that Bayern Munich win the Champions League and Sevilla win the Europa League. The teams who entered via the qualification stages has been based on their UEFA club ranking. 

Pot 1 - Barcelona, Leicester City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris St Germain, Benfica, Rostov, Ajax

Pot 2 - Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Manchester City, FC Porto, Napoli, Sevilla

Pot 3 - Bayer Leverkusen, FC Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur, Olympiakos, Dynamo Kiev, Olympique Lyonnais, PSV Eindhoven 

Pot 4 - Villarreal, Sporting Lisbon, Club Brugge, Red Bull Salzburg, Besiktas, BATE, FC Copenhague, Red Star Belgrade

The most notable changes has been that Rostov reclaimed the top spot in the Russian League which would see them immediately placed in Pot 1. They finish 2nd and you'd think they would get knocked out of the qualifiers. Also within Pot 1, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven go into the final two games equal on points. It's similarly tight in Spain and Portugal. 

Pot 2 - FC Porto will be in the Champions League qualifiers but you'd expect a squad of their quality to get through. Sevilla would be positioned here with success in the Europa League. 

Pot 3 - Leverkusen have overtaken Hertha Berlin for the third German spot. Hertha would potentially struggle in the playoffs. Shakhtar Donetsk have potential to go up a pot with Europa League glory. The spots for the French league in 2nd and 3rd are very tight too. 

Pot 4 - No real change here. But this pot is so likely to change. I will sharpen the whole qualifying process as teams win their leagues. 

Isn't Ukraine above Holland now? Swear Holland are 9th.

As a Celtic fan I just want to say congratulations for the tremendous season you's are having and I can't even imagine how you all must feel right now. I'd guess numb and probably in a bubble right now not being able to take in everything that is going on around yourselves. I think the only feeling that would come close as a Celtic fan would probably be if Celtic were to win the Champions League, us beating Barcelona a few years back may be slightly close to how you's are all feeling, just that feeling of 'did that really just happen' and 'is this real' sort of thing. I can remember just feeling like that after we beat Barca in 2012.

Anyway, your story this season has given me the slightest bit of hope that maybe one day, just one day in the hopefully near future we can get our hands on the European Cup once more, your story this season has gave me belief and I can't thank you's enough for that. If the stars can align for us one season just as it has for yours, then maybe, just maybe, it could be possible and I don't feel like the madman I should feel haha posting that after the season you's have had(Well, that is if Southampton stop buying our best players haha).

Also, hopefully we can qualify for the CL next season and it would be great to meet you's in the Group Stages of the CL so you could experience a CL night at Celtic Park in which I can tell you there is no other atmosphere like it on a European night. Would be fantastic, thankfully we have a game arranged together in the pre-season coming up at Celtic Park(Paradise) in July which you are all very welcome to and I'm sure it will be a sell out and a great day for both clubs to enjoy. I do feel there is a bit of a connection with the clubs with the Martin O'Neill and Neil Lennon factor.

Hope you's have a fantastic party on Saturday and many more great seasons to come. Hail Hail

Joined the forum for the West Ham game bought been coming back ever since to keep track of the celebrations..........congratulations!

Anyway, trawled around to find a relevant topic with no luck, so here we are.

I'll get to the point, is it just me or would your lot have beaten Real Madrid over two legs judging by what we have just seen? I don't think they could have handled you.

At the start of this season one or two teams were playing noticeable quick counter attacking football and the 'top 4' couldn't hack it, I don't think many top teams in Europe will either.

I am by no means brown nosing here when I say that your journey might only just be beginning, will you lose your best players? No, you are in fashion. Will you strengthen? Yes undoubtedly. Will your ethos change? Why should it. Real might have outclassed city but they crept through and city showed none of the fight and determination that has just won the premiership.

Look what Forest achieved. Excuse me for jumping on the bandwagon but I am down to ladbrokes tomorrow for odds on Leicester to win the champions league tomorrow, well worth a cheeky tenner

https://mobile.twitter.com/1DavidWall/status/727599851584786439

Atletico's possession in each game since the 1/4 finals:

25.7%

22.9%

26.2%

27.6%

Our style of play will be fine in Europe next year :D

it's not only about possession. Atletico have a lot more depth to their game than us. We need to add certain aspects if we are to follow them. We could just do it our way and still do well.

Looking at Man city tonight against Real Madrid, they were utter shite... didn't have any soul to their team.... didn't even create much.... i honestly think we could give it a better go than them.

If we won the league, i think we can win the champions league... you can lose 3 games just in the group stages and qualify. Thenyou just need a good draw and you can be semi finalist with 1 or 2 good performances.

Updated after this weekend and the latest European fixtures

If italic's the club has qualified for Champions League group stages. If Bold, the club are confirmed Champions.

The assumption is that Bayern Munich win the Champions League and Sevilla win the Europa League. The teams who entered via the qualification stages has been based on their UEFA club ranking.

Pot 1 - Barcelona, Leicester City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris St Germain, Benfica, Rostov, Ajax

Pot 2 - Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Manchester City, FC Porto, Napoli, Sevilla

Pot 3 - Bayer Leverkusen, FC Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur, Olympiakos, Dynamo Kiev, Olympique Lyonnais, PSV Eindhoven

Pot 4 - Villarreal, Sporting Lisbon, Club Brugge, Red Bull Salzburg, Besiktas, BATE, FC Copenhague, Red Star Belgrade

The most notable changes has been that Rostov reclaimed the top spot in the Russian League which would see them immediately placed in Pot 1. They finish 2nd and you'd think they would get knocked out of the qualifiers. Also within Pot 1, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven go into the final two games equal on points. It's similarly tight in Spain and Portugal.

Pot 2 - FC Porto will be in the Champions League qualifiers but you'd expect a squad of their quality to get through. Sevilla would be positioned here with success in the Europa League.

Pot 3 - Leverkusen have overtaken Hertha Berlin for the third German spot. Hertha would potentially struggle in the playoffs. Shakhtar Donetsk have potential to go up a pot with Europa League glory. The spots for the French league in 2nd and 3rd are very tight too.

Pot 4 - No real change here. But this pot is so likely to change. I will sharpen the whole qualifying process as teams win their leagues.

Quiet funny that you listen Salzburg as a potential Champions league participant since they have never made it to the CL group stage, rather losing to teams like Malmö or Düdelingen (Luxemburg!!) in the qualifying stage.

Though I am sure Christian Fuchs would like a battle against Salzburg.

I vote for Napoli, Basel and Salzburg.

Quiet funny that you listen Salzburg as a potential Champions league participant since they have never made it to the CL group stage, rather losing to teams like Malmö or Düdelingen (Luxemburg!!) in the qualifying stage.

Though I am sure Christian Fuchs would like a battle against Salzburg.

I vote for Napoli, Basel and Salzburg.

God I hope we avoid Red Bull. Or at least smash them 6-0 and ceremoniously destroy 10,000 cans of the shit, Taliban-style, outside Nu Filbo. 

I think we'd have narrowly missed out against Real because I think they've got that bit too much quality. We'd have definitely had a go unlike those complete bottle merchants earlier though.

Pot 2 looking lively. Assume Man City and Arsenal get in, the other 6 could be the following based on current co-efficients:

- 1, maybe 2 of BARCA/REAL/ATLETI (if one of Real or Atleti win both La Liga and the CL then Dynamo Kiev will join Pot 1 and the other two teams will start in Pot 2)

- DORTMUND (assuming Bayern win Bundesliga)

- PORTO (assuming Benfica win Liga Nos and Porto get through play-offs)

- NAPOLI (assuming they hold off Roma or qualify through play-offs)

- LEVERKUSEN

- BASEL

I've been to all of those stadiums except Napoli lol

I've got to save some hols this year for this SO...when di the group games start and how many games will we have thus calendar year... Thznks

Joined the forum for the West Ham game bought been coming back ever since to keep track of the celebrations..........congratulations!

I'll get to the point, is it just me or would your lot have beaten Real Madrid over two legs judging by what we have just seen? I don't think they could have handled you.

At the start of this season one or two teams were playing noticeable quick counter attacking football and the 'top 4' couldn't hack it, I don't think many top teams in Europe will either.

I am by no means brown nosing here when I say that your journey might only just be beginning, will you lose your best players? No, you are in fashion. Will you strengthen? Yes undoubtedly. Will your ethos change? Why should it. Real might have outclassed city but they crept through and city showed none of the fight and determination that has just won the premiership.

Look what Forest achieved. Excuse me for jumping on the bandwagon but I am down to ladbrokes tomorrow for odds on Leicester to win the champions league tomorrow, well worth a cheeky tenner

To read things like this is absolutely mental!

I don't often agree with West Ham fans..! but I reckon this is pretty spot on. Your game plan is not massively dissimilar to Atletico Madrid when it absolutely needs to be, but generally speaking is much easier on the eye and more expansive. But look what they have achieved under Simeone. I hope that you do really well in Europe next year and shake up that elite as well. Leicester are more than capable of ruffling a few feathers and competing against the European top teams....City did this year and you West Ham and us all beat them.

Playing in Europe and the Premier league will have an effect but as stated above you'll strengthen the squad a little and should be fine, if you can keep the same desire and intensity of this year. Your squad players are also better than many give them credit for and seem to have bought into exactly the same mind set. I think you'll do well again next season, but will need to recruit during it for the season after perhaps.

Archived