Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

2016/17 Football League Championship

Hats off and a pint from me to Nigel Clough and all at Burton. Safely staying in the division, maybe the lack of expectation reults in a lack of pressure but they've got on with it with just the ocasional flirt with the relegation places. The contrast to the three clubs being discussed today is there to be seen.

I thought Forest were doing OK at one point this season (I think it was 3:00 pm early August !) but losing Lansbury who was bossing some games was a huge blow. Young Brereton up front is unreaonably carrying a lot of their hopes, when I saw them play (does this declaration get me a FT ban?) their best player by a mile was Vaughan in midfield, if he had any pace he'd still be premier league, beautiful passer, like Garry Parker on Horlicks and Parker was no Usaine Bolt. 

Just now, fazzyfox said:

Hats off and a pint from me to Nigel Clough and all at Burton. Safely staying in the division, maybe the lack of expectation reults in a lack of pressure but they've got on with it with just the ocasional flirt with the relegation places. The contrast to the three clubs being discussed today is there to be seen.

So true. Remarkable job keeping Burton up.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What are you on about. Blackburn have a rich history, more than most sides in the Championship. They've won the top flight numerous times, let alone winning it in 95. Their FA record is superb and winning it season after season like they did is yet to be beaten.

Forest have been an average club throughout their history, pretty much similar to us, but were guided by a genius and what Clough achieved there was unbelievable. They are one of six English sides to have won the European Cup so yeah they are big for the league they play in. But football is played now and the likes of Hull, Bournemouth are in the top flight because of what they do now.

There are plenty of clubs with a good history. But there are really only two or three clubs with sustained success throughout history. 

Fox92, you really have an odd view on what a big club is.

As you said, what Clough achieved at Forest was unbelievable. Not expected, unbelievable. It was unbelievable because they aren't a big club. So that doesn't make them a big club for the league they play in. For what it's worth, they are a bigger club than where they are in the league, because their crowds are better than quite a few. But their crowds are not amazing for that level either.

Now for you to say Blackburn are a big club because they won titles in ancient history is absolutely, fvcking hilarious pal. They get about 12,000 at home games. That is fvcking pathetic. In fact, they've never been well supported. By your logic, Preston and Huddersfield are big clubs.

You seem to be confusing a team having a good manager with a club being big. That's not the same thing. If a team with crowds like Blackburn get are in the Premier League, they are punching well, well above their weight. Just like Hull, just like Bournemouth. Just like if one of those clubs got taken over by big owners, hired a genius and won the title 5 years in a row. It would not make them a big club.

Just now, Kitchandro said:

Fox92, you really have an odd view on what a big club is.

As you said, what Clough achieved at Forest was unbelievable. Not expected, unbelievable. It was unbelievable because they aren't a big club. So that doesn't make them a big club for the league they play in. For what it's worth, they are a bigger club than where they are in the league, because their crowds are better than quite a few. But their crowds are not amazing for that level either.

Now for you to say Blackburn are a big club because they won titles in ancient history is absolutely, fvcking hilarious pal. They get about 12,000 at home games. That is fvcking pathetic. In fact, they've never been well supported. By your logic, Preston and Huddersfield are big clubs.

You seem to be confusing a team having a good manager with a club being big. That's not the same thing. If a team with crowds like Blackburn get are in the Premier League, they are punching well, well above their weight. Just like Hull, just like Bournemouth. Just like if one of those clubs got taken over by big owners, hired a genius and won the title 5 years in a row. It would not make them a big club.

I do have an odd view of a big club, yeah, because you can't define a "big club". The biggest clubs in the Country have sustained success - Liverpool and United mainly. Chelsea now too. Arsenal and Everton haven't dropped out of the top flight for years, more than any other side.

Blackburn's support has always been poor but it's a town. Why can you never understand that. You cannot start saying "oh Blackburn's support in the PL would be poor" - who you comparing it too? Us? Liverpool? Manchester? - These are big cities. Most people in Blackburn probably choose to support United or City. We don't have that problem because Leicester is a big City with one club. 30000 average for us is standard for a one club City, just like Leeds.

You always bang on about big clubs and it's a load of shit/boring. Forest v Ipswich on tv now, and I see them both as big clubs because of their history. They don't do anything now but I look at what the likes of Ipswich, Forest, Wednesday, Leeds have done in their clubs history and I think yeah they're big. That's just me. You define it as something else. 

I love football history, always have done always will. I don't need some poster on the internet to tell me how I should see a big club. If Leicester had two European Cups I'd be banging on about it every day of my life.

1 minute ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Am I being a complete technophobe but isn't there any championship matches on today? Can't seem to find any on but or sky.

Brentford Blackburn on SS5, Forest Ipswich on SS3

Just now, Vlad the Fox said:

Am I being a complete technophobe but isn't there any championship matches on today? Can't seem to find any on but or sky.

403 Forest v Ipswich

405 Brentford v Blackburn

Just now, Bilo said:

Blackburn one up, Forest going down as things stand!

lol

Great goal Mulgrew.

Didn't expect Blackburn to get anything at Brentford.

37 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What are you on about. Blackburn have a rich history, more than most sides in the Championship. They've won the top flight numerous times, let alone winning it in 95. Their FA record is superb and winning it season after season like they did is yet to be beaten.

You always try and compare attendance too which is stupid. Blackburn is a town ffs, why can't you never understand this, (and is in Greater Manchester anyway). Clubs likes Leeds and Leicester are one club Cities so of course attendances at these clubs will be higher.

Forest have been an average club throughout their history, pretty much similar to us, but were guided by a genius and what Clough achieved there was unbelievable. They are one of six English sides to have won the European Cup so yeah they are big for the league they play in. But football is played now and the likes of Hull, Bournemouth are in the top flight because of what they do now.

There are plenty of clubs with a good history. But there are really only two or three clubs with sustained success throughout history. 

Oh **** off.

Blackburn's "rich history" and league wins were literally about hundred years ago.

You might as well claim Notts County, Preston or Huddersfield are massive.

Pro Vercelli have won Serie A seven times, only four clubs have won it more and three of those are Inter, Milan and Juve. That doesn't stop them being a tiny, tinpot club you'd never heard of until a moment ago when you google it, that play in a five thousand seated stadium and make Boston United look like wizards on the pitch.

Blackburn are a tinpot northern club just like Burnley and Blackpool and Bolton et all. That they won a few trophies back before the rest of the country had started taking football seriously means sod all.

I do dislike all this "massive club" chat, imo you're only really as big as your current league position. The league position of Forest and Rovers has been wank for years.

Re Crowd / club size, I used to wonder (in the sense of a kid deciding which teams to have in his FIFA league, i.e. if you could choose) about the merits of a premier league packed with clubs with the largest attendance but over the years we've seen absolutely awful relegation sides from Leeds, Wolves, Newcastle, Villa, Derby, Forest, Birmingham etc. It doesn't equate that it will result in a super competitive super league, whilst there are relegation places you will always get a bottom few clubs, however tight the points difference, low on confidence, trigger happy with their management, looking for short term fix through overspend etc. In some ways, the bigger the clubs, the bigger the pressure, the larger the collapse. You will never get twenty confident clubs retaining their poise for 38 games however many tickets they sell or whatever the no longer exclusively vital revenue streams are that comes with that.  Villa v Newcastle sounds like a "bigger" fixture than Bournemouth v Watford but the latter pair of clubs have not crashed as drastically in the last couple of years as the former as they set moderate realistic targets and cut their cloth to achieve them. Again look at Burton compared to Forest and Blackburn in the Championship this season.

Just now, Finnegan said:

Oh **** off.

Blackburn's "rich history" and league wins were literally about hundred years ago.

You might as well claim Notts County, Preston or Huddersfield are massive.

Pro Vercelli have won Serie A seven times, only four clubs have won it more and three of those are Inter, Milan and Juve. That doesn't stop them being a tiny, tinpot club you'd never heard of until that play in a five thousand seated stadium and make Boston United look like wizards on the pitch.

Blackburn are a tinpot northern club just like Burnley and Blackpool and Bolton et all. That they won a few trophies back before the rest of the country had started taking football seriously means sod all.

I do dislike all this "massive club" chat, imo you're only really as big as your current league position. The league position of Forest and Rovers has been wank for years.

I might have overreacted with "rich" but Kitandro always wants to compare "big clubs" and it's just annoying. As I said on my post you are only as good as now - which is why the likes of Bournemouth are in the top flight on merit. I cba comparing attendances of towns to Cities like Kitandro seems to do as it's stupid.

Archived