Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Okazaki = Class

2 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Highlight of the day! Observe Otamendi conveniently slipping on his arse so he can appreciate the beauty of Shinji's goal better 

Ironic that Okazaki's first goal in months comes as a result of an opponent slipping over.

• 1 month later...

Do you think Okazaki will fit in this season? Especially if we sign Kelechi?

He's not a goalscorer (for us anyway), and he does spend a lot of time on his arse, but when he's benched we tend to suffer greatly.

Firstly, his manic energy pressing defenders forces mistakes which Vardy pounces on. 

But most importantly, opponents cannot slowly build up attacks down the centre of the pitch when he's harassing them - and this biggest point for me: you get past Danny, you get past Wilf and then Morgan and Huth's weaknesses are exposed.

But when he is there harassing them, opponents are forced down to wing, and the incoming cross can very often be collected by Morgan and Huth and turned into a counter.

Do you think with Maguire and Iborra we can afford to lose his manic energy forcing mistakes and forcing teams down the wing? Does he have other roles? Can he still fit in the team? If we sign Kelechi is he the fourth placed striker? Is that a good thing?

24 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Do you think Okazaki will fit in this season? Especially if we sign Kelechi?

He's not a goalscorer (for us anyway), and he does spend a lot of time on his arse, but when he's benched we tend to suffer greatly.

Firstly, his manic energy pressing defenders forces mistakes which Vardy pounces on. 

But most importantly, opponents cannot slowly build up attacks down the centre of the pitch when he's harassing them - and this biggest point for me: you get past Danny, you get past Wilf and then Morgan and Huth's weaknesses are exposed.

But when he is there harassing them, opponents are forced down to wing, and the incoming cross can very often be collected by Morgan and Huth and turned into a counter.

Do you think with Maguire and Iborra we can afford to lose his manic energy forcing mistakes and forcing teams down the wing? Does he have other roles? Can he still fit in the team? If we sign Kelechi is he the fourth placed striker? Is that a good thing?

Interesting points to which the answer can only be, who knows - wait and see.

he's basically been the perfect upgrade on Nugent...

When Nugent played we always played better; especially in the great escape, may have not scored or assisted much in the prem but he certainly made us play better.

I feel the same has applied for Okazaki; when we won the league he was vital...  however last season wasn't his best, and to take us to the next level I feel we need an upgrade. sadly I don't see a place for him in this squad anymore, id take Vardy, Iheanacho, Slimani and Ulloa as our strike force quite happily.

He created 14 chances last season lol

He's our most suitable player to play the deep role but he's a poor footballer - 1 assist on two seasons including a title win.

If Shinji's main role is to disrupt build ups down the middle before they reach our centre halfs, then changing Huth and Morgan for Maguire and Benny could make us less dependent on Shinji I guess.

I'd still miss his ever-present energy though, something that surely inspires the rest of the team.

Most underrated player in our team. He's a pest, like Vardy. I think people expect that if we get Ihenacho that he's gonna score 20 goals and Vardy is gonna score 20 goals. Doesn't work like that these days... there is always a 'main striker' that's why Okazaki plays so well as the 'second striker' 

IMG_20170709_204133.jpg

He is for me, By far the most frustrating player in the squad (yeah yeah, I know its mahrez. But the frustration (from mahrez) comes from the fact that he has the talent and the tools he just doesn't use them to their full potential. I guess people have different opinions about what frustrating means:dunno:)

Man isn't much of a playmaker, goalscorer, threat in the box or even a big unit to win aerial duels. He is good for running tho, I can tell you that. Its crazy to not have an extra midfielder to stay above the CM's and pack the midfield even better (because it's his job) instead of him. Because its obvious he doesn't have the attacking stats to justify why he's starting.

And I know the reason he's starting (apart from his 59628a93337bd_drevilquote.jpg.d1863436f093e6abcec9fb57b26c61e6.jpg)

ITS THE LACK OF A BOX TO BOX MIDFIELDER. Its not because he's such a nice guy or because the team is helpless without him. (Slim and vardy managed just fine without him more than once). The fact that the team is playing with 2 CMs that pretty much stay in the same line leaving space between the midfield and attack. And the fact that drinky doesn't have a great passing/playmaking ability sitting deep. And and and....you get the point. My drinky rant is for another time.:P

Looking at his end-product (and don't give me that "it's not his job to score goals" talk. What about his passing ability? Playmaking? Assists? Or just staying on his feet?) That's poverty! Absolutely poverty. He helped the team to win the league and no one can take that from him, but its time for an upgrade!

And about the stats above, I used the best season for every player (shinji, kelechi and troy from the 2015/2016 season and last season's slimani's) those are two very realistic targets and another city player in slimani. There is no excuse.

(A little note, kelechi doesn't have a 100℅ successful take ons ℅, its 72.22. Something went wrong)

16 minutes ago, the fox said:

IMG_20170709_204133.jpg

He is for me, By far the most frustrating player in the squad (yeah yeah, I know its mahrez. But the frustration (from mahrez) comes from the fact that he has the talent and the tools he just doesn't use them to their full potential. I guess people have different opinions about what frustrating means:dunno:)

Man isn't much of a playmaker, goalscorer, threat in the box or even a big unit to win aerial duels. He is good for running tho, I can tell you that. Its crazy to not have an extra midfielder to stay above the CM's and pack the midfield even better (because it's his job) instead of him. Because its obvious he doesn't have the attacking stats to justify why he's starting.

And I know the reason he's starting (apart from his 59628a93337bd_drevilquote.jpg.d1863436f093e6abcec9fb57b26c61e6.jpg)

ITS THE LACK OF A BOX TO BOX MIDFIELDER. Its not because he's such a nice guy or because the team is helpless without him. (Slim and vardy managed just fine without him more than once). The fact that the team is playing with 2 CMs that pretty much stay in the same line leaving space between the midfield and attack. And the fact that drinky doesn't have a great passing/playmaking ability sitting deep. And and and....you get the point. My drinky rant is for another time.:P

Looking at his end-product (and don't give me that "it's not his job to score goals" talk. What about his passing ability? Playmaking? Assists? Or just staying on his feet?) That's poverty! Absolutely poverty. He helped the team to win the league and no one can take that from him, but its time for an upgrade!

And about the stats above, I used the best season for every player (shinji, kelechi and troy from the 2015/2016 season and last season's slimani's) those are two very realistic targets and another city player in slimani. There is no excuse.

(A little note, kelechi doesn't have a 100℅ successful take ons ℅, its 72.22. Something went wrong)

Those stats make Shinji look horrendous, but those stats don't show how Shinji forces the other team to play. Stats don't show everything.

Remember this match? The stats won't show Slimani's "Okazaki assist" but it was undoubtedly a massive, massive contributor to the goal. And that kind of thing - unreported by stats and oftentimes missed by fans - is Shinji all over for me.

But I agree with your analysis to a certain extent: with a different midfield and a different central defense Shinji wouldn't be as needed.

But then our style of play would be different. And, although that may be a good thing, it tended to work reasonably in 15/16! Regardless, at 31 he is getting on - either another player needs to be molded into Shinji or we need to change our reliance.

6 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Those stats make Shinji look horrendous, but those stats don't show how Shinji forces the other team to play. Stats don't show everything.

Remember this match? The stats won't show Slimani's "Okazaki assist" but it was undoubtedly a massive, massive contributor to the goal. And that kind of thing - unreported by stats and oftentimes missed by fans - is Shinji all over for me.

But I agree with your analysis to a certain extent: with a different midfield and a different central defense Shinji wouldn't be as needed.

But then our style of play would be different. And, although that may be a good thing, it tended to work reasonably in 15/16! Regardless, at 31 he is getting on -either another player needs to be molded into Shinji or we need to change our reliance.

lol That was obviously me making fun of people that said running to space is Like an assist for shinji. Plus, shinji didn't do many moves like slimani's in that goal. 

100℅ agree. But I would really like a 3-5-1-1 formation.

36 minutes ago, the fox said:

lol That was obviously me making fun of people that said running to space is Like an assist for shinji. Plus, shinji didn't do many moves like slimani's in that goal. 

100℅ agree. But I would really like a 3-5-1-1 formation.

I meant it more in that Shinji's value is in the overall value to the team rather than in the traditionally measured statistics.

Take our 4 - 1 defeat to Liverpool where Vardy scored the only goal due to a defensive error. The reason the error came about was because of Shinji's relentless harrying of their defence - but the stats won't show you Shinji's role in the goal. And neither do the stats show Slimani's role in Marc's goal.

22 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I meant it more in that Shinji's value is in the overall value to the team rather than in the traditionally measured statistics.

Take our 4 - 1 defeat to Liverpool where Vardy scored the only goal due to a defensive error. The reason the error came about was because of Shinji's relentless harrying of their defence - but the stats won't show you Shinji's role in the goal. And neither do the stats show Slimani's role in Marc's goal.

Shinji work rate is exceptional his never give up attitude is for all of us to see. I don't understand why some people on this thread are so negative about him. 

4 minutes ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Shinji work rate is exceptional his never give up attitude is for all of us to see. I don't understand why some people on this thread are so negative about him. 

Because 99% of the time thats all he brings to the team. Not saying get rid of him and I respect his workrate but if Lawrence or someone we bring in can do half the running but add more consistent technical ability then they should start over Okazaki. Its all well and good when things are going well to point out his workrate but when goals have dried up and we are losing such as January to Febuary last season, we must have a player that can pick out a pass and create chances or score goals. Lawrence would be my choice and it will be interesting to see how he does in pre season if he is given a chance as he has a high workrate like Vardy but is more consistent on the ball.

26 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Because 99% of the time thats all he brings to the team. Not saying get rid of him and I respect his workrate but if Lawrence or someone we bring in can do half the running but add more consistent technical ability then they should start over Okazaki. Its all well and good when things are going well to point out his workrate but when goals have dried up and we are losing such as January to Febuary last season, we must have a player that can pick out a pass and create chances or score goals. Lawrence would be my choice and it will be interesting to see how he does in pre season if he is given a chance as he has a high workrate like Vardy but is more consistent on the ball.

Lawrence will not play. 

I love him. He does a lot of the dirty work and I don't just mean 'running around'. He puts his body on the line and wins a lot of free-kicks in our half that relieve pressure. You can see him directing players on who to pick up when we're sitting behind the ball. He actually has a better first touch than many give him credit for, he can kill a ball dead better than anyone in our squad except Mahrez. 

• 2 months later...

Much maligned from the start, something that only changed because of this thread, but Shinji really is one of our most vital players - his role ahead of a currently lacking midfield is not only vital but his work rate, especially in the last match, seems to remind us of who we are, and who were were when we won the league: a hard working, hard pressing football team. He's getting on, and will rarely be able to play a full match, but regardless of his price tag I can't see anyone giving the team what he gives. A sixty minute role ahead of Iheanacho on Saturday please.

It's been poo pooed before on here... but why can a striker who can't shoot not be used as a third midfielder properly? Not just as a shadow striker as he is now?

If we played N'didi and Iborra as sitting DM's and had Oka flying forward on every break I think it could work.

Would give the wingers more freedom to play higher up as well. 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's been poo pooed before on here... but why can a striker who can't shoot not be used as a third midfielder properly? Not just as a shadow striker as he is now?

If we played N'didi and Iborra as sitting DM's and had Oka flying forward on every break I think it could work.

Would give the wingers more freedom to play higher up as well. 

He already is a third midfielder really. The position he plays for us, which is difficult to define, suits us and the team perfectly.

I think he is great for 45mins per game. After that, his all important work-rate can drop and he has little else to offer. 

This was one of Claudio's great masterstrokes IMO, where he would play Okazaki flat-out and then sub him off at half-time.

I'm hoping Iheanacho can offer a similar work-rate but also add some skills/trickery and more importantly, goals too! 

As much as I like Okazaki, without Mahrez scoring like he did in our Prem winning season, the pressure on Vardy to score all our goals is too much.

We need a secondary striker that can score too. Slimani would be perfect with his record, but he just doesn't work in a 4-4-1-1 behind Vardy, so I'm hoping Iheanacho was signed for exactly this reason. Hope to see him start on Saturday and we can have a good look at whether it can work.

Otherwise, I would be pushing even more for a formation change so we can incorporate two goal scoring strikers. 

Archived