Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

Yes, I’m finding that! 

I think people think moving to a 4 bed to a 6, we’ll have loads of stuff! Some obviously haven’t looked at my sale listing, as we’re minimalistic! 

If you don’t have much stuff (good for you!!!) you’ll probably be ok with 3.5 ton Luton in that case…

you could hire one for £90 or get get a ‘man and van’ if you’re feeling strong!

it’s what I did in my previous move and was fine…. Good for the soul!

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Trying to get removals companies to get a quote seems to be a headache. 

It appears that they’re all busy! 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

I was getting the same issues in London. Any quotes I did get were insane too, the type of quotes that were so ott you suspect they were purely there to put me off. Ended up renting a van instead.

House sold and offer accepted on a house so happy days

Next problem is finding right mortgage, didn’t realise that most brokers seem to charge fees but there does seem to be fee free ones , it’s a massive saving of around £500 but seems to good to be true , also the free ones have long waits for appointments. Is it best to just pay a fee and what has anyone else paid to give me an idea ? 

My searches came back and the plot of land that my house lies in, the red outline that's considered 'mine' looks completely wrong, so I've had to query it. As it appears on there, the 'shared' driveway with my garage at the end of it (and further garden behind it), belongs to the neighbour lol I think it's just a mistake but obviously better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grth2004 said:

Next problem is finding right mortgage, didn’t realise that most brokers seem to charge fees but there does seem to be fee free ones , it’s a massive saving of around £500 but seems to good to be true , also the free ones have long waits for appointments. Is it best to just pay a fee and what has anyone else paid to give me an idea ? 

Don't use a broker, they're all crooks.

54 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

God, the market is only getting more ridiculous. Waiting on searches, but I look at Rightmove most days, just in case.

Some outrageous pricing.

It's bonkers. Fancy buying a house without even viewing it first!

Homes in Wales bought before viewing in 'mad' housing market

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57245851

• Haha 1

On 18/05/2021 at 14:24, Kopic said:

We had our first call with a mortgage advisor today. Quite impressed, and made us both feel a lot better about everything. Long road ahead but it's nice to get started! 

Anyone know what Hinckley is like to live in? In our price range we can get some decent looking houses that offer pretty much everything we want, and it is pretty much right in the middle for both of our commutes. I've only ever visited occasionally to do a bit of shopping and it seemed alright.

lived in Hinckley all my life its broadly fine. Some areas better than others like everywhere really. If you want any advice on certain parts just let me know and i will give you my opinion. What i will say the house prices are booming in the town. Like everywhere its gone a bit mental. We brought outs 5 years ago for 225k (4 bed linked detached in a decent area) and it was valued at 300k earlier this year. 

For a town its fine. Like others have said its good for transport links, got a few decent pubs some nice places to eat as well. Two great Thai restaurants, about 10 Indian restaurants that are all decent really. Two Steaming Billy pubs that again are both decent and two micro brewery bars that are v.decent if that's your kind of thing.  

New Leisure centre is pretty decent and not that bad a price if you are into the gym / swimming etc. a 5 screen Cineworld so really for a town there is quite a bit to do. 

High street is a bit crap but most are these days. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 10:20, Sly said:

Trying to get removals companies to get a quote seems to be a headache. 

It appears that they’re all busy! 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Have you found anyone yet? I used a chap who basically has a tail lift van, him and his brother in law moved us, care taken, no fuss. £500 (but only because he had to hire an extra van for our stuff) and didn't mess about.

https://www.downsremovals.co.uk/

Big Leicester fans too!

9 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Don't use a broker, they're all crooks.

Found a decent one today only charging £299 , because I’m a ltd company I need a bit of extra help to get me over the line. Some of them I rang today though we’re trying to charge me £800 

• Like 1

Finally, today we've exchanged contracts. It's taken a week for our buying Solicitor in England to actually phone and discuss this with our selling Solicitor in Northern Ireland and for them to then come up with a suitable plan, as the exchange process is totally different. But we're there. Competition set for next Friday. Only need to worry about the money making it across the Irish Sea and along the chain in time on Friday or it's the whole weekend sleeping in the car instead of half...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

My searches came back and the plot of land that my house lies in, the red outline that's considered 'mine' looks completely wrong, so I've had to query it. As it appears on there, the 'shared' driveway with my garage at the end of it (and further garden behind it), belongs to the neighbour lol I think it's just a mistake but obviously better to be safe than sorry.

Hopefully someone's just drawn the lines in the wrong place. You don't need any more drama in your house quest. 

On 26/05/2021 at 11:37, grth2004 said:

I often use a broker, but refuse to pay a fee.  They are getting a commission after all.

You can do it all yourself though. There are loads of comparison sites available, and if you find a high street bank is the best bet for you, their mortgage advisers will go through the paperwork.

All of the deals that brokers have will be available online.

6 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I often use a broker, but refuse to pay a fee.  They are getting a commission after all.

You can do it all yourself though. There are loads of comparison sites available, and if you find a high street bank is the best bet for you, their mortgage advisers will go through the paperwork.

Not strictly true, I don’t think. 
Definitely not true in my case. 

My mortgage absolutely wasn’t available online - the broker had a few things up his sleeve that he was able to call upon. 

It’s probably worth asking a broker how much they can save you before you commit. And ask if they are whole market and what commissions they receive 👍

7 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Yeah looked around and the fee free ones were too busy to get an appointment, because I’m self employed I wanted someone to guide me a bit with the paperwork they need. 
Ended up with a recommendation independent broker her costs are £300 and she got me a great mortgage that day by 9pm. 
it is a minefield out there with some trying to charge stupid money , yes it’s easy probably to do it yourself but personally I like to pay for a bit of help. 

1 hour ago, grth2004 said:

Yeah looked around and the fee free ones were too busy to get an appointment, because I’m self employed I wanted someone to guide me a bit with the paperwork they need. 
Ended up with a recommendation independent broker her costs are £300 and she got me a great mortgage that day by 9pm. 
it is a minefield out there with some trying to charge stupid money , yes it’s easy probably to do it yourself but personally I like to pay for a bit of help. 

True - I suppose it depends on your experience also. I’ve mortgaged and remortgaged countless times now on quite a few different properties, so it’s pretty much second nature to me.

Sounds like you have found someone good though - to turn it around that quickly at the moment is great.

Edited by Big Dave
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

The next phase after moving into a house is the renovation….  Just finished my first room today…. And I’m rather chuffed having leaned a few new skills

I plastered the walls…. Got a gas safe guy to cap the gas fire… Stripped out the old fire, put a lintel in and bricked up the front…. Fitted the original cast iron fire (has been left by the previous owner in the garage)…. Tiled the hearth, stripped and varnished the floor, skirts and picture rails

i took hours and hours doing it, but, quite enjoyed it really!  It took me a couple of months and it’s not ‘perfect’ but, it’s my work!

csyhQFf.jpg

Looks smart, great job!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

The next phase after moving into a house is the renovation….  Just finished my first room today…. And I’m rather chuffed having leaned a few new skills

I plastered the walls…. Got a gas safe guy to cap the gas fire… Stripped out the old fire, put a lintel in and bricked up the front…. Fitted the original cast iron fire (has been left by the previous owner in the garage)…. Tiled the hearth, stripped and varnished the floor, skirts and picture rails

i took hours and hours doing it, but, quite enjoyed it really!  It took me a couple of months and it’s not ‘perfect’ but, it’s my work!

csyhQFf.jpg

Not sure about the picture but decent job!

B1FBA81E-7C93-4738-8FEF-776DFF6C41A1.jpeg

• Haha 2

Currently selling and not in a hurry to complete as I'll buy later in the year but would be nice to by the end of July - is hearing next to nothing from your solicitors a good thing or a bad thing? Sending the odd email to check in and their responses are short and sweet with no real substance.

Know conveyancer are under extreme pressure at the minute thanks to the stamp duty holiday so trying to strike the right balance in contacting them.

Edited by Nalis

On 18/05/2021 at 14:24, Kopic said:

We had our first call with a mortgage advisor today. Quite impressed, and made us both feel a lot better about everything. Long road ahead but it's nice to get started! 

Anyone know what Hinckley is like to live in? In our price range we can get some decent looking houses that offer pretty much everything we want, and it is pretty much right in the middle for both of our commutes. I've only ever visited occasionally to do a bit of shopping and it seemed alright.

Not sure if you've got any further but would definitely recommend Hinckley. Lived there all my life and bought our first house there 4 years ago. Town centre has improved massively over the last few years too. 

I'd recommend the Hollycroft Estate as most parts in there are really nice and peaceful. 

Hope your search goes well. We're just starting to look into buying a new house and selling our old one and had our first mortgage call today. 

Market really is ridiculous. Was absolutely astounded when I was told by a number of estate agents it's likely our 2-bed semi will fetch well over £35,000 more than we paid for it 4 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Currently selling and not in a hurry to complete as I'll buy later in the year but would be nice to by the end of July - is hearing next to nothing from your solicitors a good thing or a bad thing? Sending the odd email to check in and their responses are short and sweet with no real substance.

Know conveyancer are under extreme pressure at the minute thanks to the stamp duty holiday so trying to strike the right balance in contacting them.

Be selfish, ask what is happening, when it’s going to happen and put that date in your diary to chase when it’s missed otherwise they will plod along doing next to nothing for weeks at a time.

• Thanks 1