Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

2018 Russia World Cup Qualifying

On 09/03/2017 at 22:26, Super_horns said:

And to think France beat the Dutch 4-0 only last Friday.

Just shows how football can change.

People will bring out the "no easy games in International football" cliché now.

Unless England were to draw 0-0 at home to a minnow, in which case we'd "just be shit"

On 9/4/2017 at 09:33, shen said:

There's also the very unlikely scenario that China will overturn the GD and pip both Syria and Uzbekistan to the play-off spot should both of them lose, which given their opponents could happen.

I am surprised at how poor China have been for years now, ever since they qualified for the 2002 tournament. I was expecting a rapid rise and it makes even less sense now that they have had so much money invested at club level for a good number of years. But they haven't qualified for a tournament since and look like they've bottled it again despite the opportunity never being bigger.

I've got to follow this now.....

20 mins gone: Iran 0 Syria 1; Uzbeks 0 S. Korea 0; Qatar 0 China 0

Syria on target to qualify for Russia, Koreans heading for play-offs, Uzbeks & China going out....

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

;)

2 mins left: Iran 2 Syria 1; Uzbeks 1 S. Korea 0; Qatar 1 China 2

Uzbekistan set to qualify, S. Korea heading for play-offs, Syria & China going out (despite a late rally)...

Syria with a late equaliser!! And it looks like you've got the Uzb - SK score wrong? Livescore still tells me it's 0-0 at FT.

It means South Korea qualify and Syria are in the playoffs ahead of Uzbekistan on GD...dramatic!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

;)

2 mins left: Iran 2 Syria 1; Uzbeks 1 S. Korea 0; Qatar 1 China 2

Uzbekistan set to qualify, S. Korea heading for play-offs, Syria & China going out (despite a late rally)...

Final scores:

Iran 2 Syria 2 (93rd min. equaliser); Uzbeks 0 S. Korea 0 (previous score was a FIFA cock-up!); Qatar 1 China 2

S. Korea join Iran in finals, Syria are in play-offs due to that equaliser, Uzbekistan & China are out!

(Subject to FIFA not having got those results wrong!!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Final scores:

Iran 2 Syria 2 (93rd min. equaliser); Uzbeks 0 S. Korea 0 (previous score was a FIFA cock-up!); Qatar 1 China 2

S. Korea join Iran in finals, Syria are in play-offs due to that equaliser, Uzbekistan & China are out!

(Subject to FIFA not having got those results wrong!!)

Looks like Syria will play Saudi Arabia if these fail to beat Japan later tonight.

2 minutes ago, shen said:

Looks like Syria will play Saudi Arabia if these fail to beat Japan later tonight.

Could be a bit of a grudge match, to say the least....

Wikipedia: "Saudi Arabia–Syria relations:Diplomatic ties between these two countries have long been strained by the major events in the region. Relations between Saudi Arabia and Syria deteriorated further following the Syrian Civil War and Saudi Arabia's numerous calls for Assad to be removed from power. Saudi Arabia cut off relations with Syria after they decided to close its embassy in Damascus and expel the Syrian ambassador in 2012"

So, Syria v. Saudi or Australia, then the winner plays USA, Panama or Honduras for a place in the finals?

Syria v. Saudi, then Syria v. USA? :blink:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Wikipedia: "Saudi Arabia–Syria relations:Diplomatic ties between these two countries have long been strained by the major events in the region. Relations between Saudi Arabia and Syria deteriorated further following the Syrian Civil War and Saudi Arabia's numerous calls for Assad to be removed from power. Saudi Arabia cut off relations with Syria after they decided to close its embassy in Damascus and expel the Syrian ambassador in 2012"

So, Syria v. Saudi or Australia, then the winner plays USA, Panama or Honduras for a place in the finals?

I still expect the US to qualify automatically, but I guess we'll find out more tonight after USA @ honduras. 

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

They are all cannon fodder when the real tournament begins though.

Don't think I'll see a winner away from Europe or South America in my lifetime.

I think expectations are just different around the world. Simply making the tournament is a huge success in many countries. But we do see some Cinderella stories every so often when it comes to shocking upsets. Just think, one of these teams that barely qualifies for the tournament will likely to be the team that bounces England from the group stage lol

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Well Saudi Arabia beat Japan and pushed Australia into the playoffs. So Syria - Aussies it is!