Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Porto (home) Pre-Match Thread

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

same as brugge/burnley. play all our best players. we just had a 45 min spanking at old Trafford. what is wrong with some people. drop vardy, Morgan, mahrez, what the f uck goes through some people's heads. unreal. 

We had a 20 minute spanking by Manure. OK they didn't need to do much 2nd half.

In those 20 minutes our defending was appalling.

We have to play our best players and hope they don't make the same mistakes because there are limited alternatives in midfield and defence.

28 minutes ago, SpinneyHillRanger said:

Mendy and Scheimchel in.

I would say Okazaki in for Slimani but Slimani has a good record scoring against Porto.

Also Albrighton and Mahrez need to be on it.... otherwise Gray walks into the team

According to the same reports that said he wouldn't be involved today, you won't see kasper for a while

and mendy isn't going to reappear in a CL game! 

lol

People seriously suggesting dropping Mahrez and Vardy at home in the Champs league.

Thank God Ranieri is remaining sensible.

The concern is who to play in the midfield. Porto ain't Brugges. 

Drinkwater and King, for me.

Other than that, unchanged apart from Shinji over Slimani.

The Don ought to have told Vardy that he was close to getting dropped.

I'd go with

Kasper

Simpson Morgan Huth Fuchs

Mahrez Drinks Mendy Gray

Super Slim Vardy

Just hoping Mendy is fit, not looking forward to another Amartey horrorshow and for me Albrighton hasn't shown enough lately.

I think it will be the same team again. Last chance for that starting 11 to perform to a high level before changes to players and/or formation is needed. 

Gray to come on early if Mahrez or Albrighton are having another poor game. Hoping to see Vardy back to his best as well.

Only change Claudio may make, is Okazaki in for Slimani, as we looked like we missed that link from midfield to attack today that he brings.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

lol

People seriously suggesting dropping Mahrez and Vardy at home in the Champs league.

Thank God Ranieri is remaining sensible.

The concern is who to play in the midfield. Porto ain't Brugges. 

Drinkwater and King, for me.

Other than that, unchanged apart from Shinji over Slimani.

King, really Amartey's been great lately why would we drop him for king that makes no sense

12 hours ago, LCFCFOX6190 said:

CLAUDIO: "At HT the match was gone. I took off Vardy and Mahrez to preserve them for Tuesday. I want them to be strong vs. Porto." #MnuLei

Ridiculous from Ranieri and if that was the case why leave your best player on the pitch. Drinkwater has been giving it and also played 120 min v Chelsea. if anyone earned a rest it was him. Vardy and Mahrez were already resting first half and both should have been given the what for at half-time.....sent back out and told to earn their bloody money or at a minimum show respect to the fans and show some leadership on the pitch with a second half full on effort. Wouldn't drop them v Porto but would  give them both a strong warning. 

Why is it ridiculous dropping Vardy? Is obviously one of our best players but clearly needs a kick up the arse and has been poor so far this year. Musa deserves to be given a start. Can't keep relying on our 'heroes' from last season and be loyal to them because of their heroics, if people aren't performing then they should be dropped no matter who they are

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Why is it ridiculous dropping Vardy? Is obviously one of our best players but clearly needs a kick up the arse and has been poor so far this year. Musa deserves to be given a start. Can't keep relying on our 'heroes' from last season and be loyal to them because of their heroics, if people aren't performing then they should be dropped no matter who they are

vardy will tear porto to pieces like he did brugge. they will never have played against anything or anyone like him. it would be insane to drop him based on one below par half against united. 

5 hours ago, biggs said:

Ridiculous from Ranieri and if that was the case why leave your best player on the pitch. Drinkwater has been giving it and also played 120 min v Chelsea. if anyone earned a rest it was him. Vardy and Mahrez were already resting first half and both should have been given the what for at half-time.....sent back out and told to earn their bloody money or at a minimum show respect to the fans and show some leadership on the pitch with a second half full on effort. Wouldn't drop them v Porto but would  give them both a strong warning. 

How do you know what Claudio said to them in the dressing room or even away from everyone else?.  He isn't going to publically lambast anyone. Not his style.  

maybe be he told them they weren't doing it and in this case they will sit on the bench starting now. 

Fwiw, I don't think yesterday's shambles was down to either of them and Claudio just did the sensible thing at half time. 

Slimani has to start, purely for his record against Porto, he will be up for it and a total nuisance. 

Can't take anybody seriously suggesting King starting in a 442 setup. He's wank and after his pass back yesterday he was totally anonymous again, and that was in a central three! 

I would like us to approach the next 5/6 games with the first aim of not getting beat. I know it's boring but defensive discipline breeds success. 

Id play three at the back:

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs (yes we lose his quality going forward but there is no one else and his experience is needed).

Albrighton

Schlupp

midfield

Drinkwater

Mendy/Amartey 

Mahrez - put him central - he is in form but is getting criticised as the service to him is poor and being central will allow him to influence the game more.

Vardy

Slimani.

i do not want to lose the front two as I think it causes a nuisciance but defensively we need to show more guile and solidity. 

I am probably too despondent from yesterday to make any rationale comments on Tuesday night.

That said, while I am starting to fear that either CR can't adjust the system (which I doubt given he's played 3-5-2 in Europe previously) or he just feels our squad of players aren't good enough to adapt to another system (but then surely that highlights the window was poor), I don't think this is the game to change the system. Nor would I change the system against Southampton next Sunday. 

Tuesday is going to be a very special occasion. I hope everyone in the ground is up for it and makes its a quality atmosphere. No reason we can't have 2 wins from 2 IMO.

Archived