Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

Weird that he got in the team of the tournament considering everything I've read on here about him suggests he was average to poor at centre back for Ghana during AFCON.

Wouldn't mind seeing him given a run of games at the back, I don't think he'd be an instant hit, but we should start holding onto the ball a bit. With time his reading of the game should improve to a point where not only he's a good defender at this level, but doesn't treat the ball like a bomb about to go off.

The thing is, I've never seen this "pace" of amartey 

Personally I think big Wes is faster than him, it's just Wes is slow the first few yards but when he gets going he has good pace. Huth is slow. Simpson is our fastest defender. Fuchs is quick in recovery tackles but lacks ground pace. 

Amartey has been slow and I've seen players walk past him quite easily including last season - creswell goal comes to mind vs West ham - he was slow to close down. This season against united he was like a statue in midfield at old Trafford. 

I don't think he is fast unless comparing him to huth... Which doesn't say much

Edited by SpinneyHillRanger

23 minutes ago, SpinneyHillRanger said:

Personally I think big Wes is faster than him, it's just Wes is slow the first few yards but when he gets going he has good pace. Huth is slow. Simpson is our fastest defender. Fuchs is quick in recovery tackles but lacks ground pace. 

Amartey has been slow and I've seen players walk past him quite easily including last season - creswell goal comes to mind vs West ham - he was slow to close down. This season against united he was like a statue in midfield at old Trafford. 

lol Morgan looks like hes carrying a washing machine on his back when he sprints.

Edited by les-tah

I hate to keep saying it, but there isn't a chance in hell we're going to drop our captain. The second that happens, if he hasn't already lost the players he will.

It's what he should do, but with things already on the edge there's no chance

3 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I hate to keep saying it, but there isn't a chance in hell we're going to drop our captain. The second that happens, if he hasn't already lost the players he will.

I can't see why it should, The players are not blind and can see that Morgan is not performing. IF Ranieri does make the switch it will show that he's taking control of the situation and showing leadership.

But you're probably right he won't make the switch.

43 minutes ago, SpinneyHillRanger said:

You seem to be confusing speed of thought with actual speed. I have no idea what actual pace has got to do with the Creswell goal becuase the ball got crossed and smashed in within a couple of seconds.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Huth is far more likely to get canned I agree.

I also agree with whoever it was who said about Wes having a bit of speed once he gets going, it's just by the time he gets going the striker is wheeling away celebrating

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wdywd said:

Huth is far more likely to get canned I agree.

I also agree with whoever it was who said about Wes having a bit of speed once he gets going, it's just by the time he gets going the striker is wheeling away celebrating

Risky move because Morgan is even poorer without Huth next to him.

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You seem to be confusing speed of thought with actual speed. I have no idea what actual pace has got to do with the Creswell goal becuase the ball got crossed and smashed in within a couple of seconds.

Creswell goal was a good example of how slow amartey is at getting to the ball. He just seems to be jogging around. 

When him and king were in midfield it was just too easy for the opposition to bypass them. Ndidi brings a bit more dynamic play to the midfield. 

Personally I would try amartey at the back. Dropping Morgan in his place. Although much earlier this season I did suggest amartey be tried on in the middle of the back three a bit like a sweeper... But seeing as our players can't understand anything other than 442 under Ranieri.... I'm sure That would have failed too .

16 minutes ago, SpinneyHillRanger said:

Creswell goal was a good example of how slow amartey is at getting to the ball. He just seems to be jogging around.

I've watched it umpteen times and I think you're being exceptionally harsh, especially when using it to say critisise his pace. Fair enough if you said he wasn't watching the man (even if it was his man, he was marking Andy Carrol). He got back to block but got beaten by a one in a 1000 hit.

16 minutes ago, SpinneyHillRanger said:

When him and king were in midfield it was just too easy for the opposition to bypass them. Ndidi brings a bit more dynamic play to the midfield.

Again, I'm just saying speed of thought and commitment are different to pace. He's quick, the problem is for me he's slow to commit. He lacks the confidence to attack things, whether it's a tackle or anything else.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Again, I'm just saying speed of thought and commitment are different to pace. He's quick, the problem is for me he's slow to commit. He lacks the confidence to attack things, whether it's a tackle or anything else.

That's my main concern with him, it's something that can be improved upon with experience and confidence at this level though.

I've noticed a few times where he's misjudged when to tackle a player or hesitated and it's allowed a player to beat him, I think it can be ironed out though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Risky move because Morgan is even poorer without Huth next to him.

100% correct. With all due respect, Morgan is not as solid as defender that our title winning season made him to be.

I've said it previously every defender that Morgan been partnered with has turned out to be terrible like e,g Liam Moore, Who had so much potential and was partially ruined by Morgan.

If he replaces Huth or Morgan, it doesn't matter. We just have to break up that partnership, because we can't afford two old and slow CB's who can't pass.

I wish we had seen more of Benny. He could have played far more games than he has, and potentially been a really good option for us in these struggling times. 

I think these dicussions are all pointless anyway, as I just can't see Claudio dropping either Morgan or Huth. :dry:

• Like 1