Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

Amartey is clearly not ready to play CB yet as he is not strong enough in the air as demonstrated by losing every header to the direby midfielder. Think he will end up being a DM. Uses the ball better than Simpson but not better at RB. I like the thought of a N'didi, Drinkwater, Amartey midfield for away games though.

6 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Amartey is clearly not ready to play CB yet as he is not strong enough in the air as demonstrated by losing every header to the direby midfielder. Think he will end up being a DM. Uses the ball better than Simpson but not better at RB. I like the thought of a N'didi, Drinkwater, Amartey midfield for away games though.

I'd say Amartey is very good in the air considering he's just 6ft. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Disagree on both those points. 

I think he is currently a better option at RB than Simpson. It's not Amartey's strongest position, but he still potentially offers more than Simpson does there.

Also, think he will become a decent CB for us if given the chance there. Plays there for his country and I actually think he is decent in the air.

Don't see him having a good enough all round game to play in midfield for us. He could do a steady job there for sure, but I think in the Premier League, you need midfielders who have more technical ability. 

Long-term, I would like to see him become a ball playing CB for us and I think judging from what I have seen so far, that would be his strongest position. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2017-2-9 at 14:48, Long Eaton Fox said:

.....hmmmm didn't he rise like a salmon to bag against Stoke?

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 14:48, Long Eaton Fox said:

Get any more negative and you'll turn us into a minus sign,

Makes me wonder if anyone's gone a whole season without scoring an away goal. If not, maybe it's a new record we might contest.   

Just stick the lad in midfield and tell him to forget everything ranieri taught him. Look forward and try to drive on with the ball rather than passing sideways. It's like there's a proper footballer in there but needs to just get aggresive and try to attack and bully using his natural strength and athleticism.

57 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Just stick the lad in midfield and tell him to forget everything ranieri taught him. Look forward and try to drive on with the ball rather than passing sideways. It's like there's a proper footballer in there but needs to just get aggresive and try to attack and bully using his natural strength and athleticism.

Exactly how I see him, lad needs to let loose and stop worrying.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Agreed

He needs to stop holding back. He'll come good I'm sure, there is a decent player there somewhere.

I'd play him for the last few games, gives him a decent test

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I absolutely agree with this. IF we are to start Amartey in midfield (this is part of the problem you know. its never a good sign for fans to be arguing about a player's 'best position'...we and they should just know) then at least take the shackles off him. What we have seen from him is a few rampaging forward runs and I think he looks better getting forward and going forward. The being told to sit and simply play 5 yard sideways passes I think is probably holding him back. If he plays, let him get into the bloody game!

PS: This is a post from Col...the so-called  Amartey 'hater'...

:thumbup:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Funny how our two defensive midfielders are actually better going forwards than our two attacking midfielders.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 16.18.59.png

The 'tackles won' stat surprises me..I imagined Amartey to have made more. And its sad to see King has made ZERO assists.

Think his main issue has been confidence. When he isn't confident he panics, loses runners and gives passes side to side. When he is confident though he has shown ability in getting foward and playing some nice quick foward passes to the wings. If we can get the Amartey of just before Afcon then he might manage to hold a spot down in the future.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

The 'tackles won' stat surprises me..I imagined Amartey to have made more. And its sad to see King has made ZERO assists.

I think his tackles won stat is low because he positioning hasn't been the best in midfield with letting runners go. If he can improve that area of his game and get more confident as aluded to above then he could be a valuable option to have in midfield.

2 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Think his main issue has been confidence. When he isn't confident he panics, loses runners and gives passes side to side. When he is confident though he has shown ability in getting foward and playing some nice quick foward passes to the wings. If we can get the Amartey of just before Afcon then he might manage to hold a spot down in the future.

I think his tackles won stat is low because he positioning hasn't been the best in midfield with letting runners go. If he can improve that area of his game and get more confident as aluded to above then he could be a valuable option to have in midfield.

I think you're right but c'mon....this hardly inspires confidence in a player who many see as a defensive midfielder. In fact, what you've pointed out there is exactly what he SHOULD be doing.

I reiterate. Give him more of a free rein and let's see

36 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've not been convinced by him yet but I don't think circumstances have really helped him either, and it would be unfair to write him off based on earlier in the season where the whole team was just abysmal.

I think all our underperforming signings need a fresh start and a clean slate. Including the much maligned Musa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've not been convinced by him yet but I don't think circumstances have really helped him either, and it would be unfair to write him off based on earlier in the season where the whole team was just abysmal.

I remember people on here thought Ndidi would be another Amartey... I don't think Amartey is good enough for the prem. 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Funny how our two defensive midfielders are actually better going forwards than our two attacking midfielders.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 16.18.59.png

Ummmm - not very convinced by much of that - passes completed from deep, defensive situations being altogether more easily completed than probing passes into massed defences from more forward positions for a start. Minutes played and the level of opposition/degree of pressure during those minutes might also be important and even the time a player comes on and the instuctions they've been given etc, etc.     

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

King is rarely given a forward-looking role any more, his function seems to be retaining possession and keeping the tempo calm as we play out time under what might otherwise be increasing pressure. As ever, King will happily do what's asked of him but he can hardly be criticised for not providing assists if his instructions are to help shut up shop.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

In a season where Drinkwater has suffered attacking wise, his workrate at times has been better than ever. There was a stat flying around he won the ball more than anyone else in the CL at the quarter final stage. 

Amartey has always looked better in a midfield 3 where he can lose his need to keep position.

Personally I thought he was like most young players learning the English leagues. He was getting better and beginning to get some consistency in his game (don't forgot he played most of the CL group games). His high points being West Ham home, Stoke away and Man City home. Then he went away to the AFCON and lost his place to a superior player. Basically a club in our position can't wait on players to develop and that's where we are in a bit of a catch 22 with the younger players in our squad. 

If you give them a run, expect some bad games and then some good games. Consistency takes time.

• Like 1

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

In a season where Drinkwater has suffered attacking wise, his workrate at times has been better than ever. There was a stat flying around he won the ball more than anyone else in the CL at the quarter final stage. 

Amartey has always looked better in a midfield 3 where he can lose his need to keep position.

Personally I thought he was like most young players learning the English leagues. He was getting better and beginning to get some consistency in his game (don't forgot he played most of the CL group games). His high points being West Ham home, Stoke away and Man City home. Then he went away to the AFCON and lost his place to a superior player. Basically a club in our position can't wait on players to develop and that's where we are in a bit of a catch 22 with the younger players in our squad. 

If you give them a run, expect some bad games and then some good games. Consistency takes time.

We don't have the personnel to play 3 in midfield, not enough goals