Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

4 minutes ago, brookfox said:

May be wrong but don't think he's ever played there for us. Think most would recognise him as a DM who can also play in defence.

I don't think he has either but he was signed as a centre back and continues to captain his country there haha.

Looking at him I've not seen anything to suggest were right in putting him any position but centre back. He's just filling gaps where necessary.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't think he has either but he was signed as a centre back and continues to captain his country there haha.

Looking at him I've not seen anything to suggest were right in putting him any position but centre back. He's just filling gaps where necessary.

Plays centre back for Ghana but played most of his career in midfield and in midfield for Copenhagen.  

He was not signed as a centreback, we have always played in midfield except for covering at RB.

22 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Simpson still miles ahead but Amartey is doing fine. Comforting to see his confidence growing.

Not too sure that Simpson is miles ahead of Amartey. When the threat is from the opposite side, Amartey helps out the CB's way better than Simpson & also gives the impression that given time he could be way more comfortable on the ball than Simpson ever was.

30 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Wowzers, some comments! The guy was well above average today. Had a very good game indeed. Did you actually watch the game or just thought you'd chip in with a comment... Any comment would do? 

Yes I watched it and he was not well above average.

He had a steady game against fook all

in terms of opposing threat.

2 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

He didnt play well at Liverpool.  He was like a headless chicken.  Made 2 blocks/interceptions and everyone creams.  He’s gash.

He is a long ways from "Gash". He is young and has talent & makes less mistakes than Chilwell but everyone thinks that Ben is amazing. 

12 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Not too sure that Simpson is miles ahead of Amartey. When the threat is from the opposite side, Amartey helps out the CB's way better than Simpson & also gives the impression that given time he could be way more comfortable on the ball than Simpson ever was.

No, can't have that.

Amartey is stronger than Simpson and probably quicker. The problem is they are BOTH poor on the ball. Amartey rushes. He's one of the least composed defenders I've seen in a City shirt for ages. Simpson just gives it away too often.

I expect Puel to sort this issue out quite soon,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Yes I watched it and he was not well above average.

He had a steady game against fook all

in terms of opposing threat.

Are you really sure you watched it mate? Did you happen to catch the Liverpool game also? Thought he did a pretty good job then also... I think your realism is proving to be fairly fictional and somewhat delusional?

The test will come next league game, Cbelsea away. If he does well in that game then he's played well 3 on the trot, 2 of those away to big clubs. Huddersfield today were poor, Hazard & Willian will be a bigger test. Jury is still out on him but I'm happy for the lad.

He had a brainfart moment against United, glad he's put tbat behind him for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

No, can't have that.

Amartey is stronger than Simpson and probably quicker. The problem is they are BOTH poor on the ball. Amartey rushes. He's one of the least composed defenders I've seen in a City shirt for ages. Simpson just gives it away too often.

I expect Puel to sort this issue out quite soon,

yeah you can criticize a lot about Simpson but his back post defending its top notch, as is Amartey's, though as someone that's played CB a lot you'd expect that

22 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

He didnt play well at Liverpool.  He was like a headless chicken.  Made 2 blocks/interceptions and everyone creams.  He’s gash.

If you don't praise decent performances then how do you expect anyone to take you seriously. He played pretty well at Liverpool.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koke said:

The test will come next league game, Cbelsea away. If he does well in that game then he's played well 3 on the trot, 2 of those away to big clubs. Huddersfield today were poor, Hazard & Willian will be a bigger test. Jury is still out on him but I'm happy for the lad.

He had a brainfart moment against United, glad he's put tbat behind him for now.

Good for him that he's holding down the position but we have to be realistic I think. There was a challenge in the second half at Liverpool that was stonking. I can't think who he robbed but I'm sure he saved a certain goal?

BUT there was a moment in the first half (myself and my lad were watching the highlights of MOTD and pissing ourselves) when the ball came to Amartey's feet after a ricochet near the edge of the area and with his wrong foot he literally passed it across his goal and out for a corner, very very nearly giving it straight back to Salah. 

This is what I'm talking about. He is so lacking composure. I just hope that comes with playing and confidence and it well might. But this particularly bit of play was hilarious. I don't exaggerate when I say just that bit was like watching something on parks football.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

If you don't praise decent performances then how do you expect anyone to take you seriously. He played pretty well at Liverpool.

I’m not going to pretend I saw a good performance where overall I thought he was bad.

He didnt get sent off after 10 minutes which was an improvement but I just didnt think he was as good as many are making out but even if he did play well at Liverpool, that doesnt mean he’s

any good and worthy of the drastic u-turn of opinion on the guy.

He’s 23 not 18.  If he was going to be any good, he would be by now.

He’s a waste of a squad place.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I’m not going to pretend I saw a good performance where overall I thought he was bad.

He didnt get sent off after 10 minutes which was an improvement but I just didnt think he was as good as many are making out but even if he did play well at Liverpool, that doesnt mean he’s

any good and worthy of the drastic u-turn of opinion on the guy.

He’s 23 not 18.  If he was going to be any good, he would be by now.

He’s a waste of a squad place.

He’s a great utility player for us and is a more than adequate replacement for Simmo. He’s proved that he’s more than worthy of a squad place by the fact he’s been asked to cover for Simmo, yes he made a mistake against MUFC but he was given a harsh lesson. He’s been brilliant in the cup, was good against Scousehampton on Saturday and played well today. I do expect Puel to look at the RB role but I’d expect Amartey to still have a role in and around the squad due to his versatility. You clearly don’t like him so you’ll be looking and highlighting every mistake he makes. 

1 hour ago, tickler28 said:

Morgan's tackle today that got him injured....Maguire being caught up field all the time and the way he was turned by Salah for their second....Fuchs hoofing it into Row Z and Mahrez losing the ball in the halfway line and costing us goals v Palace and United.

All players make mistakes (some costlier than others) and youre highlighting a clearance for a corner against a rampant Liverpool who had us on the ropes because we had NO midfield protection or get out.

Difficult to see you as just wanting him to fail.

He was superb today...superb in the League Cup and fair play to the lad who is a centre back by trade and also thrown into central mid last season to replace the irreplaceable Kante.

To me he is a key member of our squad.

I thought I was being very balanced...

oh well, there you go, it is FT after all.

It works both ways you know. Maguire is an infinitely better defender than Amartey, yet Maguire gets pulled up and discussed for every error he makes. He's under the spotlight all the time. The same should be true of all our players, yet Amartey (from some, not all, granted) can seemingly do no wrong. The incident I mentioned above was quite dramatic, yet I think I'm the only one on here to even mention it.

Which says a lot about the place imo.