Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

Another solid game from Amartey today. I think he's been quite consistent with his performances recently in fact at the 6-7 out of 10 level. Not as good as Simpson but definitely not a train wreck.

Defensively he is OK, but I think his touch, composure on the ball and ability in the final third are where he needs a lot of work. Once Chelsea and Kante in particular worked out that all he did was pass it to Mahrez, they made life a lot tougher for him. He also had numerous chances for the 2v1 overload as Mahrez attracts 2 or even 3 defenders towards him but declined the opportunity. Simpson before his injury was getting forward a lot more and putting in some nice crosses but I've yet to see this play from Amartey and I think Puel will want someone who can do this because it will help our attacking game.

At the end of the day though he's been in a team that's kept 3 clean sheets in a row including a game against the reigning Champions where we were down to 10 men for the last 20, which is pretty good.

I think that Puel won't get a right back in this window as Simpson seems to be coming back faster than expected and Amartey has done OK. Will this player ever become a mainstay in the first team? I doubt it, but for now I think he is a solid squad player.

As I have said before, Simpson won't be getting back in now. Another resilient performance from the big man. Good to see that he's growing in confidence and even overlapped Mahrez a couple times today (hallelujah haven't seen that since the days of De Laet!!!)

• Like 3

He's improving all the time. He's not perfect but there's obvious potential there.

Not sure why some of our fans can never seem to accept that some players take longer than others to adapt. It would be brilliant if every player hit the ground running like Maguire but often it takes a bit of time for a player to settle (think Vardy / Mahrez). That's why I think we'd be mad to ditch the likes of Amartey and Kelechi Iheanacho already. Iheanacho especially has not had an easy start to his Leicester career but it would be daft to write him off this early imho. Helps when you get some decent game time as Amartey has been able to recently.

A bit premature to start writing off Simmo though. You're talking about one of our most reliable performers there. 

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

Looked very solid defensively. Fair play have to give credit where credit is due.

The one downside although not his fault is his lack of forward play. Naturally not a RB so can't seem to go down the line or whip those balls in. Always goes sidewards to play it back to Riyad.

But like I said he's makeshift. Doing his job well considering

55 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Looked very solid defensively. Fair play have to give credit where credit is due.

The one downside although not his fault is his lack of forward play. Naturally not a RB so can't seem to go down the line or whip those balls in. Always goes sidewards to play it back to Riyad.

But like I said he's makeshift. Doing his job well considering

Lets be honest.. how often does Danny Simpson go down the line and whip the ball in ? 

• Like 2

he completes a lot more passes at a much higher completion rate than anyone of our other fullbacks. dunno where this "uncomfortable on the ball" thing comes from? reminds me of mama sakho in that regard, he had one of the best pass completions and dribbling statistics in world football for years at liverpool but cos his legs were a bit too long and he ran funny people labelled him a bombscare. 

sure he might not be that adventurous going forward, but he's tidy enough on the ball and a good player. 

10 hours ago, Father Ted said:

As I have said before, Simpson won't be getting back in now. Another resilient performance from the big man. Good to see that he's growing in confidence and even overlapped Mahrez a couple times today (hallelujah haven't seen that since the days of De Laet!!!)

What a ridiculous post. Simpson is argubably one of the, if not the Best defender at the club and you're talking like he is going to be discarded like an over used toothbrush. 

All this talk about Simpson getting forward is garbage IMO as we need a defensive strength on that side to release Mahrez. 

Amartey looks a bit awkward still IMO, he's been an excellent squad player recently but as a defender he couldn't polish Simpson's boots. 

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

What a ridiculous post. Simpson is argubably one of the, if not the Best defender at the club and you're talking like he is going to be discarded like an over used toothbrush. 

All this talk about Simpson getting forward is garbage IMO as we need a defensive strength on that side to release Mahrez. 

Amartey looks a bit awkward still IMO, he's been an excellent squad player recently but as a defender he couldn't polish Simpson's boots. 

Tell that to the manager who has stated he wants his full backs to attack.

17 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Tell that to the manager who has stated he wants his full backs to attack.

Simpson can get forward if he chooses to. Managers that say they want their full backs to attack want that on top of a solid defensive game otherwise you'd just play wingers at fullback. 

Simpson is a very important player for us and i'm sure CP sees that.  

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Simpson can get forward if he chooses to. Managers that say they want their full backs to attack want that on top of a solid defensive game otherwise you'd just play wingers at fullback. 

Simpson is a very important player for us and i'm sure CP sees that.  

Simpson is vet solid defensively, but offers very little going forward. He was ideal for Shakespeare’s deep lying back four, but is not the solution for Puel’s preferred brand of football.

Decent squad player. I think the criticsm of him would diminish if people looked at him as nothing more than a squad player. Not quite good enough to be a starter but can slot in for a few games and can do a job.

Edited by Koke

6 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I think he has done enough to be respected on here. Not everyone is going to love him but he is good enough to do a job in the PL, and that is a decent level for me.

Really delighted for Dan and Drago today, they have to be pretty happy with their last few games.

Pleased for them too. Both have made errors, Drago's back pass against Fleetwood and Amarteys double yellow, but how is anyone going to improve without game time at senior level? 

I see no urgency about getting in further back up for either.