Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

I've always quite liked Amartey. A decent young talent 

However... He's at risk of becoming forever a versatility player with no proper position. These sort of players do a job here and there covering but never ever become first choice but a great sub to have. 

Think he's better at RB than midfield though 

5 minutes ago, Humbofox88 said:

Who would you have as your 1st choice CB pair if all fit.

Hard to say. I suppose Maguire / Morgan. It would be nice to see how Huth (assuming he's fit) and Maguire can get along together. We certainly seem to miss Huth on set pieces.

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

No, can't have that.

Amartey is stronger than Simpson and probably quicker. The problem is they are BOTH poor on the ball. Amartey rushes. He's one of the least composed defenders I've seen in a City shirt for ages. Simpson just gives it away too often.

I expect Puel to sort this issue out quite soon,

Puel can teach Amartey how to retain & distribute. He can't teach speed & size 

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I thought I was being very balanced...

oh well, there you go, it is FT after all.

It works both ways you know. Maguire is an infinitely better defender than Amartey, yet Maguire gets pulled up and discussed for every error he makes. He's under the spotlight all the time. The same should be true of all our players, yet Amartey (from some, not all, granted) can seemingly do no wrong. The incident I mentioned above was quite dramatic, yet I think I'm the only one on here to even mention it.

Which says a lot about the place imo.

Just opinions bud...we all want the same thing....Citeh to do well.

Im not saying Amarteys perfect....nor any of our team but I like him and think hes got a good attitude and is a useful utility player.

Id still like us to lool into getting a quick full back in the mould of Kyle Walker but it might be just as easy to end up witn yet another duffer so we shouldnt rush into it.

Many of our players have had to endure long spells waiting for a chance....dreadful team performances that destroy moral and being used out of position. It takes a lot of mental strength to not just wait for your chance but take it when it comes along. It was pretty public how much Gray moaned and in my opinion he still is not in my best 11.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, les-tah said:

has anyone noticed he sometimes has the pace of usain bolt then sometimes doesnt look that fast? lol 

He's a very nervous player, he's never sure when to go and when to stay and seems to get caught in two minds, which makes him look cautious. Perhaps he just holds back / doesn't commit enough.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's a very nervous player, he's never sure when to go and when to stay and seems to get caught in two minds, which makes him look cautious. Perhaps he just holds back / doesn't commit enough.

His confidence is just shot that's all, which is why he gets hesitant. It was the same when he was playing CM last season, when he had time on the ball he struggled but when he just got stuck in he did well. Everyone (other than a few on here evidently) wants him to do well so hopefully he can grow in confidence and he can show why he was so highly rated when we signed him. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It wasn't mentioned as it's nowhere near as dramatic as you make out and he did just about all he could do to clear the ball, it was no mistake or bad defending. The ball bounced back off Kasper and he was the first to react, Firminho was closing him down and blocking his angle on the clearance, he couldn't go with his left as it could have cannoned back off Firminho (he also didn't really have time), Salah was in front of him and so was Wes.

His options were very limited on where he could clear it with just a lunging toe poke. Whist it might have set the pulses racing for you, in the end it was actually decent defending considering his options.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.04.31.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.10.51.png

Thanks Babs, i thought I was the only one who realized that he done what he did on purpose. We were struggling at that time to get control and he done the only thing possible which was to put it out for a corner, Which gave us time to reorganize. It was a good piece of defending.

I'll guarantee the more games he gets the better he will become. I still think he's a great prospect. 

15 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Not too sure that Simpson is miles ahead of Amartey. When the threat is from the opposite side, Amartey helps out the CB's way better than Simpson & also gives the impression that given time he could be way more comfortable on the ball than Simpson ever was.

That's a fair shout, Amartey always seems like he lacks confidence to me but a prolonged run in the first team could sort that out and be the making of him.

He's not really nailed down a position in his career to date but he's played both centre half and centre midfield. This would suggest he's reasonably comfortable both defending and on the ball.

He's also athletic so he could have the stamina and pace to get up and down the pitch. It's always useful to have tall players on the pitch when you can get them to help with balls crossed into the box. I'm not 100% convinced on Amartey by any means but there could well be a player in there and I wouldn't be surprised if he was just a late developer.

8 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

His confidence is just shot that's all, which is why he gets hesitant. It was the same when he was playing CM last season, when he had time on the ball he struggled but when he just got stuck in he did well. Everyone (other than a few on here evidently) wants him to do well so hopefully he can grow in confidence and he can show why he was so highly rated when we signed him. 

I've always thought, and a lot of players are like this in the modern game, he quite simply isn't capable of playing in a midfield two, he can only be effective in a three.

There's a player in there, but I worry it won't be here.

• Like 1

He dithers too much for me as if he is not sure in his own mind what to do.

But has got a bit better and has only just turned 23 so has time on his hands.

A work in progress for me.... but nowhere near as decisive as Simpson who I

feel is our most underrated player. 

Edited by RODNEY FERNIO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I thought I was being very balanced...

oh well, there you go, it is FT after all.

It works both ways you know. Maguire is an infinitely better defender than Amartey, yet Maguire gets pulled up and discussed for every error he makes. He's under the spotlight all the time. The same should be true of all our players, yet Amartey (from some, not all, granted) can seemingly do no wrong. The incident I mentioned above was quite dramatic, yet I think I'm the only one on here to even mention it.

Which says a lot about the place imo.

No, says a lot about your one eyed opinion and the fact you will never accept your views just for once may be wrong.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Thanks Babs, i thought I was the only one who realized that he done what he did on purpose. We were struggling at that time to get control and he done the only thing possible which was to put it out for a corner, Which gave us time to reorganize. It was a good piece of defending.

I'll guarantee the more games he gets the better he will become. I still think he's a great prospect. 

On the first look, it certainly seemed a bit of a WTF moment. But as soon as you look at where everyone was and what his options were, it puts a different spin on it. It all happened in the blink of an eye, so it's easy to miss.

43 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

It was a good piece of defending. If I remember correctly a goal kick was awarded too? 

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

It wasn't mentioned as it's nowhere near as dramatic as you make out and he did just about all he could do to clear the ball, it was no mistake or bad defending. The ball bounced back off Kasper and he was the first to react, Firminho was closing him down and blocking his angle on the clearance, he couldn't go with his left as it could have cannoned back off Firminho (he also didn't really have time), Salah was in front of him and so was Wes.

His options were very limited on where he could clear it with just a lunging toe poke. Whist it might have set the pulses racing for you, in the end it was actually decent defending considering his options.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.04.31.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 11.10.51.png

lolIt’s like a see saw. Some people will do ANYTHING to defend a player!

At least I’m trying to be balanced (note to self...on here, there is NO point), but the Amartey I saw on this particular occasion was just panicking. And it was amusing. The toe punt could have gone anywhere!

I just don’t see it like you do...

On the other hand (and as I said before) the block he made late in the second half was excellent defending.

There...balance.

:thumbup:

lolIt’s like a see saw. Some people will do ANYTHING to defend a player!

Yeah imagine defending players against more moronic critisism. Lets blame the bloke who actually cleared the ball, and ignore the fact Fuchs, N'didi and Iborra totally fecked up and gave the ball away in a shocking position leading to the chance.

At least I’m trying to be balanced (note to self...on here, there is NO point), but the Amartey I saw on this particular occasion was just panicking. And it was amusing. The toe punt could have gone anywhere!

I just don’t see it like you do...

On the other hand (and as I said before) the block he made late in the second half was excellent defending.

There...balance.

:thumbup:

You're not being balanced, or even attempting to be. You're just slating someone who did pretty much all he could do with the ball in the position he was in, with the players cutting off most outs. I totally understand someone thinking it was a hairy moment and that perhaps he could have done better on first viewing, I thought the same. But after watching several angles, only someone being completely ignorant would continue to insist he could have actually done a lot more than he did. "It could have done anywhere"... but it didn't, it went to one of the two places he could probably have kicked the ball considering the speed in which it was happening and the fact he needed to lunge out with a toe to get to the ball before Firminho.

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

No, I was being balanced. You have the one eyed opinion and it shows.

Surprised you have any opinions to share considering a few weeks ago you declared you had totally lost interest in the team/club.Amazing what can happen as soon as we climbed the table.Thanks for coming back to us, we missed you;)

4 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Surprised you have any opinions to share considering a few weeks ago you declared you had totally lost interest in the team/club.Amazing what can happen as soon as we climbed the table.Thanks for coming back to us, we missed you;)

Handbags!