Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leics 2 Middlesborough 2 Post match thread

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Nobody is saying that. Not even close.

We all know where we've come from and we all know that last season was a complete one off.

Today was dreadful in terms of performance yet we've come away with a point when we've got our two best performing players out against a side that has recently taken away points from Arsenal and Man City and made the Champions elect sweat last week. It's not the end of the world.

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

lol at our fans.

Cast your mind back to getting beaten under McLintock, Milne, Levein or Holloway and knowing that we were awful but loving City anyway.

Imagine being a Palace fan.  In free fall, scored 3 to lead going into added on time, then concede two.

Or worse, imagine if you follow Hawick, who  today played an away fixture in the Scottish Cup about a 7 hour drive away at Elgin and lost 8-1.

We don't know we're born.

Erm 

So much of sporting success is down to confidence and attitude. Our levels of skill are no worse than last year, perhaps even better? But our minds are all over the shop, we no longer have that cohesive determination to be the winner. The answer? If I knew how to deliver that I wouldn't be posting on here would I?  I beleive it needs a seminal moment to turn things around. But what do I know?

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

You said it yourself. How much have we spent this season? How have we ended up in such a scenario? That's the crux of it for me. I didn't fancy us one bit today because I knew we were practically backed into playing as weak a midfield pairing as there is in this league.

I didn't expect us to be challenging for the title again but you can't excuse this. We are no better than Middlesbrough. That's absurd for the champions.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have 5 first team players battling for 2-3 spots in central midfield, especially seeing as we did clearly try to get a 6th in in the form of Silva.

The problem(obviously) is that right now we've got 2 injured and 1 suspended. Look at last season - Inler never got a look in (partly because he wasn't very good for us but also) because Kante and Drinkwater were available for selection for 95% of games. This year we've been able to select what is ostensibly the first choice midfield pair just once.

You can't just have countless top quality players sitting around doing nothing. Obviously with James being a long-term injury issue it doesn't look very conservative of the club but I can understand the rationale.

14 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

It's the hoofing that leaves me feeling livid. Last season we moved the ball quickly on the break, using Shinji and Danny to link defence to attack. Now we seem to take absolutely forever to move ball, allowing players to get back behind the ball. We also missed a lot of Vardy's runs today because we chose to play the predictable ball to Mahrez instead. 

Yes, but it's also been shown that there's a lot less movement and distance covered from Leicester players this season. Statistically, I mean. Sometimes people look up and don't see Vardy or Mahrez ready for it, or King or Amartey offering themselves short, or - in the event of receiving the ball - having the awareness to pick out a decent forward ball. Then, of course, people get into bad habits. Drinkwater's actually been one of the worst this season for the constant 'Hollywood ball', as Big Ron might say.

Plus - while I think the 'teams have sussed us' argument is a massive cop-out - it also reminds us, correctly, that sides tend to sit deeper now.

That said, I honestly think our lack of willingness to compete for second balls and 50-50s and our general lack of movement, are more to blame for our predicament than any one player, or the loss of any one player, or even the system. Two specific occasions come to mind from today when Vardy would have pushed a defender all the way last season. Okazaki, Albrighton and King were buzzing around without ever putting any real pressure on the ball.

For the sort of team we are, we can't afford not to be committed. If we tend to hoof the ball, it may be because we feel that the same things which bore fruit last season, aren't bearing fruit now. And because people aren't offering the sorts of options that they have in the past.

Our determination to see last season as a 'one off' hasn't helped. You might have a freak burst of form for a couple of months, but we were the best side in England for a season and a quarter. I honestly don't think it helped saying we had no chance of competing for the league, or Champions League, and should return to fretting about 40 points. A lot of players clocked onto this lack of ambition, conceded that 'the dream is over' and, naturally, dwelt on past glories more than the future.

I said back in May - not just me, but lots of people, in fact - that Ranieri had to present a logical 'next step forwards', after the title. As tough as it was, he had to make people believe that they still had things to dream about. Otherwise it all becomes about the past, not the future. And, in the event, he made a catalogue of errors. From transfer activity to backroom changes to pre-season programme. He didn't maintain momentum.

But a lot of people on here also feel that last season was just some freak occurrence. We've adopted a mentality which only required that our team escape relegation, rather than anything better. Take a glance back at some of the posts in August when people were saying that our transfer business was perfectly sufficient, that our pre-season or our early form was nothing to fret about, that Claudio and our players were heroes now no matter what, that the joy of watching football had all been consumed by May 2016. It was hardly a bold step forward on anyone's part.

Just now, inckley fox said:

What does this mean?

Do you support a different team or something? I must have missed something.

If you read my post before, there was this assumption and strong argument that these players would be the answer to our midfield without any justification.

What has me.questioning 2 players got to do with me supporting my team, it makes no sense.  FACT that these 2 players are not good enough, me questioning that, shows, that I care about my club

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

You've misunderstood the reason for referring to the past.

Perspective. A bit of perspective would do us all good.

For me, we should accept that we were bound to regress to the mean after our miracle season.

We should recognise that moaning after winning the league makes us a laughing stock and that those calling for Claudio to leave come across as whiny overentitled spoiled ingrates who don't realise (as Leicester fans of all people should) that you have to endure the downs to appreciate the ups.

Yes we're a shadow of last season, but we're not bottom with no hope, we are blummin 13th, we are in the Champions League after Christmas and we would all have snapped your hand off for that situation in the recent and indeed the distant past.

It's highly likely that tomorrow evening that 13th position will be  exchanged for 14th or even 15th. Come next weekend lose at Sunderland and the bottom 3 is looming large. Being in the CL is one  thing and  yes it's an adventure but the PL is the priority from this point on and if today's performance is anything to go by things are not going to get any easier

Theres no doubt that other clubs are in the mire but the problems are deep rooted and no I don't think CR will be removed but I can't quite work out if that's a positive or a negative 

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

If you read my post before, there was this assumption and strong argument that these players would be the answer to our midfield without any justification.

What has me.questioning 2 players got to do with me supporting my team, it makes no sense.  FACT that these 2 players are not good enough, me questioning that, shows, that I care about my club

You're not questioning it though, are you? You're mocking people who, from what I've seen, are defending Amartey or King from often unreasonable criticism (rather than claiming that either is a world-beater). And, judging by your tone, you're getting enjoyment out of the pair of them struggling. It's the sort of post I thought I'd see from a fan of another team, that's all.

And I think it's fair for people to defend King, as terrible as he was today. I mean, 350+ appearances or whatever it is, three different leagues with the same team. Or Amartey, who was perhaps the best of our midfielders today. I don't see what your point is. It's not as if there are people out there who are glad that Kante left, or that we didn't replace him, or that Drinkwater was injured. If there were, then yes, they'd be daft.

But there aren't. And even if it is, as you put it, 'FACT' that neither is good enough, it shouldn't be a happy well of one-upmanship. I don't think reminding people who 'are not good enough' that they're rubbish is 'proof' that you care, and neither do I think that ridiculing those who like to think that they, perhaps, are good enough is evidence of your being a wonderful fan.

21 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Our determination to see last season as a 'one off' hasn't helped. You might have a freak burst of form for a couple of months, but we were the best side in England for a season and a quarter. I honestly don't think it helped saying we had no chance of competing for the league, or Champions League, and should return to fretting about 40 points. A lot of players clocked onto this lack of ambition, conceded that 'the dream is over' and, naturally, dwelt on past glories more than the future.

I said back in May - not just me, but lots of people, in fact - that Ranieri had to present a logical 'next step forwards', after the title. As tough as it was, he had to make people believe that they still had things to dream about. Otherwise it all becomes about the past, not the future. And, in the event, he made a catalogue of errors. From transfer activity to backroom changes to pre-season programme. He didn't maintain momentum.

But a lot of people on here also feel that last season was just some freak occurrence. We've adopted a mentality which only required that our team escape relegation, rather than anything better. Take a glance back at some of the posts in August when people were saying that our transfer business was perfectly sufficient, that our pre-season or our early form was nothing to fret about, that Claudio and our players were heroes now no matter what, that the joy of watching football had all been consumed by May 2016. It was hardly a bold step forward on anyone's part.

I can see your thinking, but do you really think they'd have put the right mentality and application into Hull away if we'd spent the previous week talking about going for the quadruple?

Just now, ealingfox said:

I can see your thinking, but do you really think they'd have put the right mentality and application into Hull away if we'd spent the previous week talking about going for the quadruple?

They didn't put the right mentality and application into it anyway, and we'd spent the previous week talking about forty points!

Just now, inckley fox said:

They didn't put the right mentality and application into it anyway, and we'd spent the previous week talking about forty points!

Exactly - so why would they have worked any harder or been any less doggo your way?

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Didn't realise that Middlesbrough have only lost at Everton so far this season.

Yeah, it's a tough league and even those down at the bottom are tough to beat.

The players have it in them, I don't think Claudio is helping them at the moment with his refusal to change from 4-4-2 and reinforce the midfield

Your telling me I'm making assumptions and you are making assumptions yourself.

Your assuming g I'm moking?

Your assuming my tone?

Your assuming I'm glad Kante left?

Your assuming im disappointed about our recruitment?

Your assuming im happy that I'm right about king or Amertey are not good enough?

I've made myself very clear, I care not for players, Managers etc, I care for my.club, Ibleed blue.  I have challenged many on this forum and will continue regardless of the abuse I get, because I only see my club

9 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

You're not questioning it though, are you? You're mocking people who, from what I've seen, are defending Amartey or King from often unreasonable criticism (rather than claiming that either is a world-beater). And, judging by your tone, you're getting enjoyment out of the pair of them struggling. It's the sort of post I thought I'd see from a fan of another team, that's all.

And I think it's fair for people to defend King, as terrible as he was today. I mean, 350+ appearances or whatever it is, three different leagues with the same team. Or Amartey, who was perhaps the best of our midfielders today. I don't see what your point is. It's not as if there are people out there who are glad that Kante left, or that we didn't replace him, or that Drinkwater was injured. If there were, then yes, they'd be daft.

But there aren't. And even if it is, as you put it, 'FACT' that neither is good enough, it shouldn't be a happy well of one-upmanship. I don't think reminding people who 'are not good enough' that they're rubbish is 'proof' that you care, and neither do I think that ridiculing those who like to think that they, perhaps, are good enough is evidence of your being a wonderful fan.

Your assuming my tone?

Your assuming im happy that I'm right about king or Amertey are not good enough?

I've made myself very clear, I care not for players, Managers etc, I care for my.club, Ibleed blue.  I have challenged many on this forum and will continue regardless of the abuse I get, because I only see my club

Just now, ealingfox said:

Exactly - so why would they have worked any harder or been any less doggo your way?

I think the point is that in many games, Hull included, we haven't shown a positive enough mentality. Even Ranieri has alluded to it. So it's not a bad idea to look back at times when we might have encouraged a negative outlook, or a lack of belief, or a change in our aspirations. No title-winning side, to my mind, has had such a modest set of ambitions as Leicester, and few title-winning sides have got off to as lousy a start as Leicester. That's not the only explanation for it, obviously, but I do think it's contributed towards fans and players alike looking back on May 2016 and thinking that it's all downhill from here on in.

Obviously it makes sense for a side that was recently in a relegation dogfight to aim for 40 points first and foremost. But, based on what we've seen, it's not such a great idea for Champions to set the bar so low. The momentum hasn't been maintained, and this is one of many different reasons for it being lost.

Ranieri did not set the team any target at the start of this season (as per Mahrez).

He has eventually now set a target prior to the Watford game (as per Ranieri). Most likely a points target for the run of games until Jan 2.

That doesn't seem to have helped at all, if anything it's been worse. Not sure if it would have made much of a difference to set a high target at the beginning.

With our playing staff, the momentum from last season and reasonable purchases during the close season this run of form is quite frankly bewildering. 

Kante i I always thought was pivotal but I didn't consider him 'part' of the band of brothers bond that appeared to carry us last season. Our spirit was immense. 

Now we seem apathetic and whatever spirit we had appears to have melted away under the spotlight of our success. 

It is is beyond confusing but we need to find answers and the players need to find some pride. 

Just now, Dr The Singh said:

Your assuming my tone?

You're not getting abuse, though. At least not from me. And you shouldn't confuse what you think, which is something only you know, with the mocking tone of your writing, which is something everyone can see for themselves. And no, I didn't say you were glad Kante left, nor that you were disappointed with our recruitment. That's clear in my message. But I did say that you appeared to be getting enjoyment from the 'fact' that you were right about King and Amartey, because you did. There's only so many exclamation marks you can attach to a post ridiculing Amartey/King 'Fan boys' (and only so many times you can use the word 'fan boy') without appearing to be both pleased at how right you were, and amused at how wrong others apparently were.

Archived