Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leics 2 Middlesborough 2 Post match thread

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

You said it yourself. How much have we spent this season? How have we ended up in such a scenario? That's the crux of it for me. I didn't fancy us one bit today because I knew we were practically backed into playing as weak a midfield pairing as there is in this league.

I didn't expect us to be challenging for the title again but you can't excuse this. We are no better than Middlesbrough. That's absurd for the champions.

Most thinking people would have been concerned with that central midfield pairing today, including Ranieri. The big problem is what other options were there for the manager? He believes in 4-4-2.He won the Premiership with it. We are in the last 16 of the Champions League with it. Who's to say playing any other system would have worked? Maybe the team punched more above its weight last season than even we thought?

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Cut through all the dross on this thread (waiting for Mark w to bring up Pearson and Waghorn at this point) and read this.

Its all you need to read.

We are the Champions of England, yet only drew to Middlesborough by scoring two penalties.

Its a disgrace really.

It's not just the result that's worrying, we don't don't seem pass the ball anymore.

its so direct we make the so called poor teams look like world beaters.

42-58 possession 

58% passing, nearly one in two of the passes/hoofs gets intercepted 

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I don't understand people who refer back to Levein, Holloway etc. It's history... Apparently we should accept our poor performances because were not as bad as we were a decade ago!

Nobody is saying that. Not even close.

We all know where we've come from and we all know that last season was a complete one off.

Today was dreadful in terms of performance yet we've come away with a point when we've got our two best performing players out against a side that has recently taken away points from Arsenal and Man City and made the Champions elect sweat last week. It's not the end of the world.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Either past results are relevant, or not.

Past success is relevant, of course. We will compare success last season with this season.

But the only time that's important is now. Anyone can bang on about Pearson, Walsh, Waghorn or whatever, but it makes no difference. We are where we are and now is what matters.

Theres lots to talk about NOW that's relevant. For instance, why Ranieri keeps insisting on playing 442 with the rubbish we have in the central midfield area. I'd rather discuss that than whether our title was due to Pearson, Cambiasso or Uncle Tom fookin Cobley.

One word fortunate!, So poor this afternoon, looked really messy and disjointed all over the pitch. I honestly don't know how on earth we nicked a point out of today's game, deserved nowt. Middlesbrough deserve alot of praise they looked a lot more organised and looked a lot more comfortable to on ball. Just can't believe this is the same team that won the league last minor one player. 

12 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Most thinking people would have been concerned with that central midfield pairing today, including Ranieri. The big problem is what other options were there for the manager? He believes in 4-4-2.He won the Premiership with it. We are in the last 16 of the Champions League with it. Who's to say playing any other system would have worked? Maybe the team punched more above its weight last season than even we thought?

But why, after going into the best financial position this club has ever been in, and the strongest bargaining hand we've ever had, have we ended up in such a scenario where we are so threadbare in some positions?

If you're content with how we've been in the league this season then fair enough.

You're missing my point though. I'm not saying I'd have done anything differently on the day. I just can't believe it's come to this. It really didn't have to.

That was one of the least enjoyable games in years at home. We were absolutely terrible. Thankfully we had players who could take penalties (Slimani's was excellent in a pressure situation) otherwise we'd have been looking at a deserved defeat. The defending today was dreadful, the midfield all over the place and the strikers barely touching the ball in the first half.

We are in a relegation battle, make no mistake. We look bereft of confidence, we had little creativity (apart from some clever build-up in the 93rd minute) and for the second home match in a row barely tested the opposition keeper. Sadly, this season is all about survival. Just get there and have a re-think because this squad needs serious changes in the long-term.

53 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I don't understand people who refer back to Levein, Holloway etc. It's history... Apparently we should accept our poor performances because were not as bad as we were a decade ago!

You've misunderstood the reason for referring to the past.

Perspective. A bit of perspective would do us all good.

For me, we should accept that we were bound to regress to the mean after our miracle season.

We should recognise that moaning after winning the league makes us a laughing stock and that those calling for Claudio to leave come across as whiny overentitled spoiled ingrates who don't realise (as Leicester fans of all people should) that you have to endure the downs to appreciate the ups.

Yes we're a shadow of last season, but we're not bottom with no hope, we are blummin 13th, we are in the Champions League after Christmas and we would all have snapped your hand off for that situation in the recent and indeed the distant past.

I enjoyed the game.  it is a privilege to watch the champions.  To get to the King Power is great.

We weren't great.  i have seen us much worse but not as champions.

Middlesboro were tidy.  Their fans were excellent.

My biggests concerns: the conceded goals were poor (was the first an offside on the halfway line? Then we switched off); and the hole in front our defence that 'Boro plays could stroll into to win the ball.

We made the better chances.

Amartey is growing

Vardy will score 8 in 12 at some point this season.

We are Leicester.  This is reality.  We need to get behind the team again.  Middlesboro fans got behind the team; they will never be Premier League champions.  xx

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Past success is relevant, of course. We will compare success last season with this season.

But the only time that's important is now. Anyone can bang on about Pearson, Walsh, Waghorn or whatever, but it makes no difference. We are where we are and now is what matters.

Theres lots to talk about NOW that's relevant. For instance, why Ranieri keeps insisting on playing 442 with the rubbish we have in the central midfield area. I'd rather discuss that than whether our title was due to Pearson, Cambiasso or Uncle Tom fookin Cobley.

Do you think Ranieri, with all his experience in the game, has not seen what you have identified? Let's assume he has, since it is obvious, why hasn't he changed it? Perhaps the personnel can't handle a full tactical switch to 4-2-3-1? Changing the whole system to accommodate the absence of Kanté is going to take ages to settle in. We could be bottom if we had tried that. There are no easy solutions. Trust in Ranieri!
It is frustrating though that we persevere with 4-4-2. I don't know what the solution is. Booing and fan meltdown though will not help.

3 hours ago, ozvaldo said:

As soon as Amartey wins it, King drops in about 4 yards next to him wanting a pointless ball.  When he gets it, 90% of the time he passes it backwards and slows the game down.  He doesn't put his foot in, he doesn't make intelligent moves, never jumps for a ball and plays aimless long balls out for throw-ins and goal kicks.  He's awful.  

He may be playing against 3 men, but Drinky does regularly, so does Amartey.

King is shit.

Talking out your arse. King put in a shift today. He did get stuck in, in fact he put in some big challenges today and got the ball out wide quiye often. He picked out the runs of Mahrez and Fuchs a fair bit. He also made an intelligent late run that nearly led to a goal and interchanged with Okazaki a few times. 

Not midfields fault today. Poor goalkeeper  distribution and hoof ball from the back was the issue today. Even when Amartey and King showed for the ball, we still pumped it aimlessly long. 

57 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

You've misunderstood the reason for referring to the past.

Perspective. A bit of perspective would do us all good.

For me, we should accept that we were bound to regress to the mean after our miracle season.

We should recognise that moaning after winning the league makes us a laughing stock and that those calling for Claudio to leave come across as whiny overentitled spoiled ingrates who don't realise (as Leicester fans of all people should) that you have to endure the downs to appreciate the ups.

Yes we're a shadow of last season, but we're not bottom with no hope, we are blummin 13th, we are in the Champions League after Christmas and we would all have snapped your hand off for that situation in the recent and indeed the distant past.

Spot on.

The football that we are currently witnessing doesn't make good viewing at the moment BUT as fans we need to continue to support the team on the pitch. There is an air of frustration and desperation among some of the crowd and many of the players are beginning to sense this I feel, with the end result that they are beginning to fear making some mistakes and thus opt for the easy/negative pass rather than driving at the opposition in the carefree way that we did last season.

Let's not underestimate the demands of the European games (even in our relatively easy group), some of the players are looking jaded but the vast majority of them are the same players who thrilled us all last season with their efforts. Yes there are questions that need to be asked about our recruitment that has seen us bereft of midfield talent in the absence of Drinkwater but the selected players don't go out there to deliberately under-achieve. They are clearly lacking in confidence and the crowd need to get behind them and encourage as much as possible - yes the football was poor but at times today the criticism was embarrassing. This team gave us everything and more last year and it is awful to witness some fans supporting with a sense of entitlement that just because we were champions last season, that we should steamroller sides such as 'Boro.

We need to realise how good we've had it over the last few seasons and get behind the lads so that they can have the confidence to give it a go, without fear of being booed/slagged off by fans who should be more appreciative of this group of individuals.

We did not deserve the draw today but I was grateful for the last gasp equaliser because I did not want to be at the KP to see LCFC 'fans' turn on their team for a sub-standard performance (yes i know there have been a series of them!) I still have the memories of last season, Bocelli and Victoria Park celebrations fresh in my mind.

Get behind the lads - come on! We don't want to become like some of the Premiership clubs where fans boo their players and walk out far too early.

We're low on confidence - it spreads through the team... no one comfortable on the ball... But we still got a point against a decent side.

Missing Kasper at the back... the rest will do Drinky good...

I'd like to see Okasaki in the middle..

Rest Vardy and play Slamani and Musa

30 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

There's a parallel universe out there somewhere where we appoint Pearson as an Assistant Manager on Monday and go on to dominate football in England and in Europe until Ranieri retires. Imagine the double act. Heavenly.

Would make the press conferences quite interesting, Ranieri making everyone laugh, then Pearson coming out with a knife and stabbing a reporter for looking at him. 

29 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

Do you think Ranieri, with all his experience in the game, has not seen what you have identified? Let's assume he has, since it is obvious, why hasn't he changed it? Perhaps the personnel can't handle a full tactical switch to 4-2-3-1? Changing the whole system to accommodate the absence of Kanté is going to take ages to settle in. We could be bottom if we had tried that. There are no easy solutions. Trust in Ranieri!
It is frustrating though that we persevere with 4-4-2. I don't know what the solution is. Booing and fan meltdown though will not help.

If a squad of seasoned, experienced professional footballers can't handle a formation change, we REALLY are in trouble!

I could go into the City dressing room and say to the lads keep playing 442.

What a shambolic mess. I'm sorry but the coaching staff have to take some responsibility for the complete collapse in the level of our performances and the simply terrible football we are playing. I don't mind playing badly sometimes as no one can maintain the top levels all the time. However, some of what I saw today would have embarrassed an under 11 school team. Shots bouncing into the ground a yard in front of them, aimless balls hit more in hope than anything else, ex international defenders lumbering up the pitch reaching the half way line and then suffering some sort of vertigo attack and passing it back to their defender and then unable to get back quickly enough to prevent their first goal. No one seeming to want the ball at throw ins, corners and free kicks either not leaving the ground or not clearing the first defender. A goalkeeper who can only kick with one foot, doesn't come for any crosses even when there was no attacker within five yards and palms  the ball away for a corner. An international centre forward on reportedly 100k per week who did nothing apart from jog slowly from side to side across the pitch for almost the entire time he was on it. No pressing, no tempo,no desire. In fact what was missing for much of the match from us was the very basics taught to any eight year old just learning to play the game; ie passing, tackling and marking.

The subs made a difference but frankly they were not on early enough. At least Slimani looked like he cared.

In truth of course we are now having the season we expected to have last season. Before anyone goes on about how bad things were in the past, I know I've been there and seen a lot of it but the football being served up now is some of the worst I've seen in nearly 50 years following this club. I mean this because sometimes  in the past we couldn't really expect better, the players we had were not as good nor as physically fit. Now we're playing crap football with aimless tactics but is has cost a lot more money to get there.

Anyone who doesn't think we are in a relegation fight frankly has their head in the sand. Ranieri needs to sort things out and quickly. Has he got the ability to do so? I am beginning to doubt it.

22 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

Talking out your arse. King put in a shift today. He did get stuck in, in fact he put in some big challenges today and got the ball out wide quiye often. He picked out the runs of Mahrez and Fuchs a fair bit. He also made an intelligent late run that nearly led to a goal and interchanged with Okazaki a few times. 

Not midfields fault today. Poor goalkeeper  distribution and hoof ball from the back was the issue today. Even when Amartey and King showed for the ball, we still pumped it aimlessly long. 

I don't think he was talking out of his arse. King didn't commit to a lot of 50-50s today (for well over a year we were the best team in the country for winning second balls that we had no right to win - I thought the extent to which King, among several others, didn't want to do this was worrying), and his forward passing was ineffective. I thought he was extremely poor, albeit in a side which had a few extremely poor performances to its name. And I think he was right about King's positioning when Amartey came onto the ball.

Equally, I think you're right that it wasn't necessarily midfield's fault today. At least not the CMs' fault. I thought we left Mahrez in the same position nearly all game, marked out of things. We need to work much harder, on a tactical level, to bring him into games in places where the opposition doesn't expect to find him. Albrighton was poor. Distribution from all of the back four was poor, with the occasional exception of Fuchs. And if you're playing a 4-4-2 in that sort of contest, the forwards need to do more to impose themselves on the game. So no, like you say, you can't pin it down to midfield weaknesses, regardless of whether King was up to scratch or not.

3 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I don't think he was talking out of his arse. King didn't commit to a lot of 50-50s today (for well over a year we were the best team in the country for winning second balls that we had no right to win - I thought the extent to which King, among several others, didn't want to do this was worrying), and his forward passing was ineffective. I thought he was extremely poor, albeit in a side which had a few extremely poor performances to its name. And I think he was right about King's positioning when Amartey came onto the ball.

Equally, I think you're right that it wasn't necessarily midfield's fault today. At least not the CMs' fault. I thought we left Mahrez in the same position nearly all game, marked out of things. We need to work much harder, on a tactical level, to bring him into games in places where the opposition doesn't expect to find him. Albrighton was poor. Distribution from all of the back four was poor, with the occasional exception of Fuchs. And if you're playing a 4-4-2 in that sort of contest, the forwards need to do more to impose themselves on the game. So no, like you say, you can't pin it down to midfield weaknesses, regardless of whether King was up to scratch or not.

It's the hoofing that leaves me feeling livid. Last season we moved the ball quickly on the break, using Shinji and Danny to link defence to attack. Now we seem to take absolutely forever to move ball, allowing players to get back behind the ball. We also missed a lot of Vardy's runs today because we chose to play the predictable ball to Mahrez instead. 

Archived