Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Leicester City v Chelsea post match thread 0 - 3

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We didn't have a single shot vs Middlesbrough, barely any against Everton by all accounts and tonight not one on target. What has happened to us? We are devoid of anything creative.

It started the second half against West Ham when we had 11 men behind the ball and spent the whole half hanging on and just managing it in the end.

Ranieri last match after one Ndidi performance - "I've been proven right" or something like that, bit early for that talk isn't it? He looks good so far but I wondered at the time who was that directed at. He's not been proven right about Mendy who looks so off the pace and it's like he's running in cement half the time and he wanted him instead of Kante last season. Quite concerned as game by game we are losing our way even more, we started the season bad but at least we still had some threat going forward.

8 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I have nothing wrong with that, the first half we were very good and unlucky to be a goal down, Chelsea have spent 100's millions on their team so it seems the owners and Claudio's expectations are lower than the fans. I think we should have spent massively in the summer though we had a great chance to make some major signings 

I understand the financial differences between the sides, but still don't get the mentality.

The kind of defeated before a ball is kicked mentality, I don't get.

I would like to think and hope a manager would be saying to his team, Chelsea are very strong, give me 100% and lets see if we can get a shock result, but it's sounds like giving them permission to lose, because it's Chelsea.

It may be lost in translation, but saying we had a good performance, and if not for two sloppy goals, we matched Chelsea.

At half time, I thought we was poor, but Chelsea weren't that impressive, and said in the thread, if we got at Chelsea second half, I could see us getting something, and then second half we didn't turn up

Just got in. Assume the formation has taken a hammering...

personally think that formation could be the way forward in the long run, but what a terrible time to trial it. We looked ok first half but lacked any creativity and crumbled second half. 

What worried me me most was the fact that we didn't look to have prepared to play that system! 

Furthermore, the combination of Musa and Vardy as a pair must be banned with immediate effect. How easy do we want to make oppositions lives? 

Lastly, the Huth sub. What. The. Hell. Raineri looked calm and composed on the touch line whilst the players looked around in shock, horror and confusion for 10 mins. 

On the plus side I thought Chillwell, Ndidi and Morgan did well and we did lose to a very good side. The best I've seen at ours for a couple years. 

Vardy and Drinkwater were very poor. Not sure their hearts are totally in it this time around. 

Theres no shame in losing to a top of the table side. However, the manner of which it was lost is a concern. First half looked like mendy and ndidi deeper and drinky advanced. That role needed more guile/pace, perhaps Gray ? Drinkys form is questionable, fuchs looked poor. It still makes me smile seeing Huth and Morgan as premier league centre halves, yes they were part of the incredible season but both look tired and exposed now. Our passing today was dreadful, kasper included. Some tidy crosses in the first half but noone attacking, the only danger being chelsea defenders being forced in to an error, dissapointing. Observation, too many games at home going flat second half? 

I understand Ranieri not being critical of the players: It was the wrong decision to go 3-5-2, but it was an understandable one. And it's understandable that he stuck with it because after the first 15 we seemed to have settled. I'd have preferred a half-time change in system, and in retrospect we can guess that this might have worked out better, but I saw where he was coming from. When it all went wrong, he probably reflected that his players' discomfort with the system was the main reason for the loss, and as such he couldn't lay into them for the performance.

I would have preferred him to go into this in more detail, of course, because I think he's drawing more criticism by glossing over the matter, and you don't want people to start losing faith in his leadership. He made some bad calls today - in hindsight we can see that the system didn't click, we lacked a creative player to break Chelsea down until Gray came on, changes tended to happen in reaction to events rather than in anticipation of them, Musa and Vardy have never looked like a viable pairing and didn't today etc. - so he'd probably help himself by trying to explain his logic. He's at risk of looking clueless.

As for the performance, I think we're right to be worried by it, because it was extremely poor. I wouldn't want to single anyone out for praise, including Mendy / Ndidi who were part of a middle three which failed to maintain possession, build meaningful attacks or consistently apply pressure when Chelsea were in possession. I did see some promise there, however, and in Chilwell and Gray, but I'd leave it at that. I'd agree that Fuchs and Drinkwater were especially disappointing, though I've been long-unconvinced by this popular notion that Drinkwater has been our 'one shining light' this season.

But it's very hard to focus on individuals when it was a collectively awful display. The whole club - board, staff, players, fans - should be clear about how serious a warning it is. We might not get many more before we're in serious trouble.

Hugely disappointed with that performance. I don't think it would have helped the Birch's recovery in any way.

I couldn't say they weren't trying but to be honest we looked to have no confidence going forward and you knew that we wouldn't penetrate their defence in the second half. One or two did OK, Chilwell and Ndidi first half and I thought Shinji was good showed some fight and some skill despite the lack of support he had up front. 

Chelsea were never out of second gear and didn't have to up the tempo at all it will be their easiest away game of the season. 

We virtually gave them the first goal and looked shaky several times at the back. 

Without Ulloa we also look very one dimensional and that is worrying with the upcoming games (Burnley away). 

1 minute ago, Mark said:

It started the second half against West Ham when we had 11 men behind the ball and spent the whole half hanging on and just managing it in the end.

Ranieri last match after one Ndidi performance - "I've been proven right" or something like that, bit early for that talk isn't it? He looks good so far but I wondered at the time who was that directed at. He's not been proven right about Mendy who looks so off the pace and it's like he's running in cement half the time and he wanted him instead of Kante last season. Quite concerned as game by game we are losing our way even more, we started the season bad but at least we still had the threat going forward.

It seems the owners do allow the manager to pick the team and players.. ndidi looks really good, mendy isn't up to scratch yet but not surprising being injured for so long. I think Claudio is on to something now though and I'm positive at least. But it is hard when you lose your 30mil signing and PFA Player of the year. The negative I have is we didn't going all out in the summer and sign serious proven talent with CL on offer 

3 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

We didn't do enough in attack,...

Without Slimani, Mahrez and Ulloa CR didn't have too

many options up front. He used, with the exception of

Kapustka, all that were available to him.

NO Slimani + NO Ulloa = NO Airpower

NO Mahrez = NO Creativity

That made it a lot easier for Conte and his team.

Raniari is so annoying why mess things about in what I felt we could get something out of. Grey has to start musa did well last week but that was from the bench. Drinkwater didn't even understand where he was playing I don't think anyone did. Shite from the manager.

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Chelsea reminded me of us last season... 

Correct, they did NOT coast, they knew they had no Costa and didn't chase but sprinted down every loose ball. We may have been sucked into the Spurs success of cutting off the wings but their energy was everywhere and we had no answer.

Pathetic, pathetic...oh and pathetic.  Oh yes the players and Leicester as a team  were poor.

This forum also is becoming boring and contradictive.

Drop Simpson...done !!

Try Chilwell and Fuchs...done...

Change set up and try something new...Done..!!

Try DD..Mendi..Ndidi....Done..!!

Keep 4-4-2  //  change  4-4-2....done..!!

Attack..any player you like,.......done !!!

Start blaming Ranieri for tinkering or not tinkering...Done..!! 

I just reckon..we are all dumbfounded, not because we are struggling to reach any level or continuity from last year, but as good as we harmonised, then mishit last year, there is nothing

absolutely nothing meshing  and no fluency this season.

We played IMO our best choice midfield today, we forget though it was their 1st PL game as a group, as a front 5. Against the top and best quality team in the PL.

Chelsea last season, still had quality, but didnt push that extra mile then last second inch.

We fought, were fearless, and intensity that broke our backs, but this season the quality that hold the downs together, is simply not there. Our new additions are not poor or bad, its the heroes of last season, who are not firing and making the bigger mistakes.

CRs mistake was not todays changes ...

(question over Simpson perhaps, but many posters also wanted it.)

The club and management, did not invest in quality CB cover. Hernandez is  squad cover, not immediate quality CB needed from the 1st game.  Morgan 3 seasons, not one summer rest, with Great escape, and title behind him, needed top cover...

Today , the players couldnt hold their discipline, when needed, its failed in every individual  singular goal moments of this season.

This season all players, have been given their chance to shine, IMO although the forwards have

missed single opportunities, they have not received enough service, quality or otherwise.

Todays game for me was a freebie, we have found our midfield for the rest of the season, it didnt coincide with all or even  8-10 players turning out a decent 60-80mins.But again it was

their 1st game together. The defence continually are not holding it together.

This is now where CR and club management have to react for the team.

Slimani, neither Mahrez, nor a top Musa will help us, its got to come from the back and with consistency. CR has a major descision, its not on Fuchs or Simpson, but down on the 2 CBs.

Funny thing is Its Simpson that might of saved the 1st goal, but its not about just today..

We'd literally just found something thing started working for us and had a few decent results on the bounce. Why on earth Ranieri felt it necessary to completely change the system and confuse the living **** out of everyone today is beyond me. We should have stuck with what was bringing us some success and looked to get at least a draw against a rampant Chelsea side. 

Not good enough. A point today would have been an important point the way things are going and we were never going to get sweet ****ing anything from this game by doing something so alien.

What the actual **** Ranieri? You jabroni. 

10 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I understand the financial differences between the sides, but still don't get the mentality.

The kind of defeated before a ball is kicked mentality, I don't get.

I would like to think and hope a manager would be saying to his team, Chelsea are very strong, give me 100% and lets see if we can get a shock result, but it's sounds like giving them permission to lose, because it's Chelsea.

It may be lost in translation, but saying we had a good performance, and if not for two sloppy goals, we matched Chelsea.

At half time, I thought we was poor, but Chelsea weren't that impressive, and said in the thread, if we got at Chelsea second half, I could see us getting something, and then second half we didn't turn up

I'd like a siege mentality! Unite the lads!

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

It seems the owners do allow the manager to pick the team and players.

But obviously there are two red lines:

Not more than 30m for a single player

Not more than 100k per week

The problem is, that you don't get a top-drawer

player for that kind of money. Not anymore.

9 minutes ago, sdb said:

Just got in. Assume the formation has taken a hammering...

personally think that formation could be the way forward in the long run, but what a terrible time to trial it. We looked ok first half but lacked any creativity and crumbled second half. 

What worried me me most was the fact that we didn't look to have prepared to play that system! 

Furthermore, the combination of Musa and Vardy as a pair must be banned with immediate effect. How easy do we want to make oppositions lives? 

Lastly, the Huth sub. What. The. Hell. Raineri looked calm and composed on the touch line whilst the players looked around in shock, horror and confusion for 10 mins. 

On the plus side I thought Chillwell, Ndidi and Morgan did well and we did lose to a very good side. The best I've seen at ours for a couple years. 

Vardy and Drinkwater were very poor. Not sure their hearts are totally in it this time around. 

"Vardy and Drinkwater were very poor. Not sure their hearts are totally in it this time around "

I agree they were both poor today but don't think you can say their hearts are not in it given the sort of characters they are. They were trying just not executing and Vardy was feeding off meagre gruel all night, very few passes especially second half got to him. 

It's like some of y'all don't realize that our entire attacking philosophy is to hope one of Albrighton's balls into the box can find a blue shirt.

Which is both absurd strategy when we're playing with tiny attackers that are massively outnumbered by bigger defenders and an absurd reaction by our fans who don't understand that is how we were trying to play football.

2 minutes ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

But obviously there are two red lines:

Not more than 30m for a single player

Not more than 100k per week

The problem is, that you don't get a top-drawer

player for that kind of money. Not anymore.

Everton have just signed Schneiderlin for what? 23 mill?

Head and shoulders above any midfielder we have at the club.

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

He played well today..

Really? He didn't play well. He just didn't stand out as being especially awful.

The midfield didn't apply nearly enough pressure. There was an insane amount of space for Chelsea to move into in the Leicester half and the midfield stood off again and again. They might have looked tidy enough every so often, but they weren't effective. There were other, possibly bigger, problems on show today - the defensive organisation, the strike partnership, managerial decisions etc. - but I wouldn't wish to get too excited about Ndidi or Mendy. Even if they weren't as awful as Fuchs / Drinkwater and so on.

Just now, inckley fox said:

Really? He didn't play well. He just didn't stand out as being especially awful.

The midfield didn't apply nearly enough pressure. There was an insane amount of space for Chelsea to move into in the Leicester half and the midfield stood off again and again. They might have looked tidy enough every so often, but they weren't effective. There were other, possibly bigger, problems on show today - the defensive organisation, the strike partnership, managerial decisions etc. - but I wouldn't wish to get too excited about Ndidi or Mendy. Even if they weren't as awful as Fuchs / Drinkwater and so on.

lol

Welcome to my world...

Archived