Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

9 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

....dunno why you'd want to go to trumpland anyways...

... when there's a country to the North that's by far more attractive.

And yes, I'm biased towards Canada. I think it's a marvellous place.

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

... when there's a country to the North that's by far more attractive.

And yes, I'm biased towards Canada. I think it's a marvellous place.

Exactly! We have our own issues here (like any/most countries).  We currently have a feminist Trudeau in power (nice guy but he is a bit of a joke).

But much safer and welcoming place.

27 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Don't think anybody's said there's no racism in the US but I don't think this is an example of the system allowing it, even if you accept that the assault was racially motivated and not simply the actions of a neanderthal meathead, the article states that the man lost his job over it and is now facing charges so surely that's a positive outcome to take from this?

45 minutes ago, marbles said:

Thats what Im sayin...........why does everyone want to keep coming here ?

Well i suppose long term its a better option  then staying in Mexico or central america.

But my canuck self is fine north of the border

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Don't think anybody's said there's no racism in the US but I don't think this is an example of the system allowing it, even if you accept that the assault was racially motivated and not simply the actions of a neanderthal meathead, the article states that the man lost his job over it and is now facing charges so surely that's a positive outcome to take from this?

Yeah, forgive me the snark and allow me to clarify.

My gripe in this case isn't really against the system itself (in this case it's pretty clearly worked), my annoyance is with a societal model in which shit like this happens as regularly as it does. Of course, it isn't totally proven that it's racially motivated and it's a horrible abuse of power either way, but this kind of stuff seems to pop up in the US with much more regularity than in the rest of the OECD, and I think a link can be made between that and some attitudes towards race in the US today.

And yeah, no one on here has said that the US is a post-racial society but believe me - other people elsewhere do.

Guest MattP
On 30/03/2018 at 14:23, Jattdogg said:

Exactly! We have our own issues here (like any/most countries).  We currently have a feminist Trudeau in power (nice guy but he is a bit of a joke).

But much safer and welcoming place.

When I saw that "peoplekind" video I genuinely put my head in my hands. 

How on earth did he manage to get elected? 

47 minutes ago, MattP said:

When I saw that "peoplekind" video I genuinely put my head in my hands. 

How on earth did he manage to get elected? 

...because everyone apart from Alberta had had enough of Harpers cosying up to the oil companies and their penchant for destruction in the name of a quick buck?

That's probably one reason out of many, though.

As I do from time to time, just wanted to pop in and say again that I'm really ashamed of our president and that more than half the country didn't vote for the twit.

To the rest of the world: we're very, very sorry.

Edited by UPinCarolina
I can’t write properly.

7 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

As I do from time to time, just wanted to pop in and say again that I'm really aghast by our president and that more than half the country didn't vote for the twit.

We're very, very sorry to the rest of the world.

Don't worry, it'll just make President Harris in 2020 all the better. :D

Guest MattP
16 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...because everyone apart from Alberta had had enough of Harpers cosying up to the oil companies and their penchant for destruction in the name of a quick buck?

That's probably one reason out of many, though.

That makes sense, must have been a pretty serious reason to elect him.

He's like a walking, talking version of Imagine fed on Quinoa since birth.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

That makes sense, must have been a pretty serious reason to elect him.

He's like a walking, talking version of Imagine fed on Quinoa since birth.

It's an interesting one actually - for the longest time it looked like if Harper was going to lose it was likely going to be Mulcair replacing him, but Trudeau sort of came from nowhere late on.

And yeah, even as a leftie myself I think he takes it too far sometimes. Would take him over practically all the other world leaders right now though seeing as they mostly seem to be authoritarian shithouses.

This is serious - Trump is threatening to attack Russia:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/09/russia-us-un-security-council-syria-douma-attack

Donald Trump has condemned the “heinous” deadly chemical weapon attack on a Damascus suburb and said he will decide within the next 24 to 48 hours whether to launch a military reprisal against Bashar al-Assad’s regime in Syria.

Speaking to reporters as he convened his cabinet, the US president said: “We cannot allow atrocities like that”, adding that he had “not much doubt” about who was behind the poison gas attack in Douma which killed more than 48 people and affected hundreds more.

When asked if military action was a possibility, Trump said: “Nothing is off the table … If it’s Russia, if it’s Syria, if it’s Iran, if it’s all of them together, we’ll figure it out, and we’ll know the answers quite soon. So we’re looking at that very, very strongly.”

Trump, who has consulted his British and French allies, announced: “We will be making some major decisions in the next 24 to 48 hours.”

Later, with his new, hawkish national security adviser, John Bolton, beside him, he suggested a foreshortened timetable, saying: “We’ll be making that decision very quickly, probably by the end of the day.”

Asked if the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, bore any responsibility for the latest attack, Trump said: “He may, yeah, he may. And if he does it’s going to be very tough, very tough. Everybody’s gonna pay a price. He will, everybody will.”

His remarks echoed a tweet on Sunday in which he specifically criticised Putin for the first time, warning that he would pay a “big price” for backing the Assad government.

Almost exactly a year ago Trump authorised a Tomahawk missile strike on the Syrian Shayrat airbase within three days of a chemical attack deemed to have been undertaken by the Assad regime airforce. Russia effectively controls the airspace over Syria and runs its military operation both from the Khmeimim airbase in northwestern Latakia province and the nearby Russian naval base at Tartus.

The US defence secretary, Jim Mattis, visited the largest US military base in the Middle East in Qatar on Monday, and will have been briefed on the options for a US attack.

The US president’s comments came ahead of a UN security council meeting at which Moscow will again be accused by the US and its allies of covertly endorsing the Syrian government’s repeated use of chemical weapons against civilians.

The US is demanding that Russia ends its veto on a UN accountability mechanism that can determine responsibility for chemical attacks. UN bodies can only investigate whether a chemical attack has occurred, but not point blame at any group or regime.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/09/russia-us-un-security-council-syria-douma-attack

Dont think he will attack Russia but take another form of action against them ...    he may take military action against Syria though ...   one thing for sure the bad guys are never quite sure what he will do ..   and that gives him an edge ...    mind you I don’t even think Trumpy knows what he is going to do next ! ...    :)

Guest MattP

Not sure where this paranoia about war with Russia comes from. It’s not the USSR. Russia is only a military player in the region as a superpower because Western leaders (I'm looking at you Barack with your red lines you allowed others to cross) were never willing to put the boot down a few years ago.

Putin is a very clever guy. He’s ex-KGB and he knows his limits. If the US hadn’t vacated it's moral duty in the Middle East because of Iraq, Putin would just be busy killing his own critics. Not Assad's.

No country with nuclear weapons is ever going to face the danger of a serious offensive. It's the ultimate deterrent.