Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

25 minutes ago, davieG said:

So if we end up with a soft Brexit we may as well have stayed in.

Outside the EU we won't have to abide by all the laws - not the farming laws, not the environmental laws, not cooperation on security.

We would need to confirm to laws on what a good or service looks like when we sell them to the Single Market. The so-called diktats.

Leaving no just the EU, but the Single Market and the Customs Union we'd need excellent, excellent trade deals with compensate for the added tariffs on what we buy from and sell to the EU.

And the US, China and Australia have already said we're less appealing outside the Single Market. The US quickly back-tracked on the initial "first in the queue" promise.

Farron going was probably the right thing to happen but hope it doesn't cause too much fallout as he was apparently asked to leave. As far as I'm concerned he gave it his best shot but didn't do too well and should let somebody else have a go. The party needs more than a change of leader to recover. 

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Outside the EU we won't have to abide by all the laws - not the farming laws, not the environmental laws, not cooperation on security.

We would need to confirm to laws on what a good or service looks like when we sell them to the Single Market. The so-called diktats.

Leaving no just the EU, but the Single Market and the Customs Union we'd need excellent, excellent trade deals with compensate for the added tariffs on what we buy from and sell to the EU.

And the US, China and Australia have already said we're less appealing outside the Single Market. The US quickly back-tracked on the initial "first in the queue" promise.

I view that as typical brinkmanship that you get when negotiations are on the horizon of course they're going to act tough but they'll be happy to sell us stuff with minimal tariffs just like the EU will. People seem to forget it's a 2 way street any tariffs they stick on us will be reciprocated. We also need to remember, sadly that we are major buying/importing nation.

'A million people should take to the streets to force Theresa May from power': Labour's rallying cry

John McDonnell urged protesters to “get out on the streets” in support of Labour’s anti-austerity message and build pressure for another election

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/a-million-people-should-take-10623852

If you want to run the country, try winning the election.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

That's a shame. Being religious shouldn't be a barrier to political office.

It shouldn't, but having the kind of views within religion that are clearly discriminatory towards the equal rights of a demographic and so the possibility existing that such discrimination might at some become  legislated (even if it hasn't happened already) perhaps should be.

Hell, there's enough trouble with church/mosque/temple/other building and state getting mixed up around the world anyway.

I find it funny how a lot of people are against the coalition with the DUP on the basis of their views against gay rights, but are more than happy for the UK to import thousands of  refugees whos views are even more backward on the subject lol 

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

Farron going was probably the right thing to happen but hope it doesn't cause too much fallout as he was apparently asked to leave. As far as I'm concerned he gave it his best shot but didn't do too well and should let somebody else have a go. The party needs more than a change of leader to recover. 

Would Vince Cable be up for it?

As a neutral, I really like him.

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

he is the only person in parliament who I can think could lead the Lib dems however he could alienate the young vote they aim for a lost a lot of with their university fees u turn. 

5 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

He's got the most experience but he's 74 which seems a bit old to me. I really don't know who should be leader, I'm hoping the candidates put forward a strong case. 

9 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

I find it funny how a lot of people are against the coalition with the DUP on the basis of their views against gay rights, but are more than happy for the UK to import thousands of  refugees whos views are even more backward on the subject lol 

As much of the views of some refugees regarding gay rights are indeed as backward (or even more so) as the likes of the DUP and Farron, their views don't have the (however slim) possibility of being heard in the legislative field just yet.

If and when there is a elected Middle Eastern descent MP with similar views towards equal gay rights...then that point of concern should be raised.

12 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

he is the only person in parliament who I can think could lead the Lib dems however he could alienate the young vote they aim for a lost a lot of with their university fees u turn. 

8 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

He's got the most experience but he's 74 which seems a bit old to me. I really don't know who should be leader, I'm hoping the candidates put forward a strong case. 

Wow, is he really 74? 

I had no idea he was that age, maybe his time has passed then.

I always thought he had a lot to offer but never really realised his full potential - maybe I'm wrong there.

He's one of the few politicians I enjoy listening too. And I actually think I'd trust him too - which is a rarity...

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Wow, is he really 74? 

I had no idea he was that age, maybe his time has passed then.

I always thought he had a lot to offer but never really realised his full potential - maybe I'm wrong there.

He's one of the few politicians I enjoy listening too. And I actually think I'd trust him too - which is a rarity...

If wikipedia is correct. I feel like he was/is more (shadow) chancellor material. He's more of a social democrat but has a passion for economics and has a business background. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

I view that as typical brinkmanship that you get when negotiations are on the horizon of course they're going to act tough but they'll be happy to sell us stuff with minimal tariffs just like the EU will. People seem to forget it's a 2 way street any tariffs they stick on us will be reciprocated. We also need to remember, sadly that we are major buying/importing nation.

Why is the US, China and Australia playing brinkmanship with us?

53 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Why is the US, China and Australia playing brinkmanship with us?

Because they want to sell us stuff with out excessive tariffs but also do not want too many imports just like every other country so they'll want a good trading deal with us that benefits them more than us, it's called negotiating, playing hardball. 

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

One of those groups is a number of officials elected to office who will play a significant role in our government.

The other is a group of people, many fleeing for their lives, coming here simply to go about their lives in relative safety.

How are they comparable?

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

Because they want to sell us stuff with out excessive tariffs but also do not want too many imports just like every other country so they'll want a good trading deal with us that benefits them more than us, it's called negotiating, playing hardball. 

Trading partners want to sell their stuff.

The Single Market has 522 million potential buyers.

The UK has 60 million potential buyers.

Who will they do deals with first? The UK?

32 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Then why haven't they done it so far?

29 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

If they were going to do deals with the SM they'll  already have done so. In effect we're the new kids on the block if they want to sell stuff to us then they'll  need to come to an agreement.

As for the numbers surely it is more about spending power and selling stuff they don't have or make. As I said sadly we're a buying country because we have few natural resources  and our manufacturing is terrible.

Archived