Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

36 minutes ago, davieG said:

If they were going to do deals with the SM they'll  already have done so. In effect we're the new kids on the block if they want to sell stuff to us then they'll  need to come to an agreement.

As for the numbers surely it is more about spending power and selling stuff they don't have or make. As I said sadly we're a buying country because we have few natural resources  and our manufacturing is terrible.

We don't need to come to any arrangement trade won't stop it'll just become less favourable. It's like when your mortgage is up you end up on the variable rate you still have a mortgage but it costs you more. We'll still have trade but it will cost more to import goods from the EU and it will cost other EU countries more to buy our exports. Which makes the stuff we buy more expensive (a cost I'm sure will be passed into the consumers) and it will mean the stuff we sell becomes less competitive. Buy from UK and pay import duties or buy from within the single market with no import duties.

47 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We don't need to come to any arrangement trade won't stop it'll just become less favourable. It's like when your mortgage is up you end up on the variable rate you still have a mortgage but it costs you more. We'll still have trade but it will cost more to import goods from the EU and it will cost other EU countries more to buy our exports. Which makes the stuff we buy more expensive (a cost I'm sure will be passed into the consumers) and it will mean the stuff we sell becomes less competitive. Buy from UK and pay import duties or buy from within the single market with no import duties.

Yeah but, as the brexiteers have told us, our trade deals with peru and uganda will be really very special indeed. 

3 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Yeah but, as the brexiteers have told us, our trade deals with peru and uganda will be really very special indeed. 

Our trade deals with India and and Australia will be awesome when they request freedom of movement in return.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-australia-india-tell-uk-relax-immigration-rules-free-trade-deal-eu-visa-restrictions-a7540036.html%3Famp

6 hours ago, davieG said:

So if we end up with a soft Brexit we may as well have stayed in.

Precisely. Leaving is madness. Also, find a young person that wants to leave. Same voter cabal are taking us out of europe that kept the tories in government. 

5 hours ago, davieG said:

I view that as typical brinkmanship that you get when negotiations are on the horizon of course they're going to act tough but they'll be happy to sell us stuff with minimal tariffs just like the EU will. People seem to forget it's a 2 way street any tariffs they stick on us will be reciprocated. We also need to remember, sadly that we are major buying/importing nation.

Your last sentence tells you why the others were unnecessary. We need the imports more than individual nations need to worry about selling to one country.

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/a-million-people-should-take-10623852

If you want to run the country, try winning the election.

Next time webbo, next time. Of course, nobody really won the latest one.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

Can't even trust the tories on security

Cuts could leave Trident nuclear base at risk of attack, says police boss

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/15/cuts-could-leave-trident-nuclear-base-at-risk-of-attack-says-police-boss

I really am finding it difficult to find any reason why anybody would vote for this shit-show of a government. 

This is my main reason for being so against Brexit, there is probably a way for Brexit to be a success but I have absolute zero faith in this shower finding it. 

6 hours ago, toddybad said:

Next time webbo, next time. Of course, nobody really won the latest one.

What exactly does McDonnell want people to protest against? The Tories won the most votes and the most seats. Are you protesting against democracy?

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

What exactly does McDonnell want people to protest against? The Tories won the most votes and the most seats. Are you protesting against democracy?

The article you quoted states clearly his aims: the protest would be "in support of Labour's anti-austerity message and to build support for another election".

He is directly quoted as saying "We need people doing everything they can to ensure the election comes as early as possible”.
So, not a protest against democracy - maintaining momentum in the campaign against austerity and maintaining pressure for another democratic election.

The Tories will doubtless seek to resist the latter, as they are democratically entitled to do. They'll probably loosen the austerity policy due to the election result & pressure from the DUP & moderate backbenchers, I imagine.

McDonnell is also clearly seeking to gain support by discrediting the Tory/DUP alliance - though describing the DUP as "terrorists" is an exaggeration, if not downright misleading, I think.

13 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The article you quoted states clearly his aims: the protest would be "in support of Labour's anti-austerity message and to build support for another election".

He is directly quoted as saying "We need people doing everything they can to ensure the election comes as early as possible”.
So, not a protest against democracy - maintaining momentum in the campaign against austerity and maintaining pressure for another democratic election.

The Tories will doubtless seek to resist the latter, as they are democratically entitled to do. They'll probably loosen the austerity policy due to the election result & pressure from the DUP & moderate backbenchers, I imagine.

McDonnell is also clearly seeking to gain support by discrediting the Tory/DUP alliance - though describing the DUP as "terrorists" is an exaggeration, if not downright misleading, I think.

No. DUP = political wing of "Loyalist" terrorists.

26 minutes ago, Steven said:

No. DUP = political wing of "Loyalist" terrorists.

No.

Individuals in the DUP have had such links & the DUP was involved in setting up some insignificant militias in the 80s.

But the main Loyalist terrorist groups (UDA & UVF) had their own political wings: the PUP and the UDP (the former still exists, not the latter - neither has made a major impact).

In fact, the DUP come from a different tradition: hard-line, reactionary unionists intent on preserving the advantages of the protestant middle-classes and on promoting pseudo-Presbyterian religious bigotry, but with few direct links to terrorism.

The PUP & UDP are/were the political wings of the UVF and UDA, respectively. They are/were much more from a working-class protestant tradition, mainly in Belfast.

Just over 20 years ago, immediately before the Peace Process, I attended a series of seminars by Northern Irish politicians of every persuasion, including the late David Ervine (PUP/ex-UVF).

Ervine was absolutely scathing about the DUP and other Unionists. He expressed a lot more understanding for working-class Sinn Fein supporters. Interestingly, he also stressed that he viewed himself as Irish AND British.

Just because some on the Right resort to massive exaggeration, untruths and smears doesn't mean we should do likewise.

7 hours ago, toddybad said:

I really am finding it difficult to find any reason why anybody would vote for this shit-show of a government. 

Because the majority of the electorate think they're a better option than the alternative would be my guess :whistle:

Guest Foxin_mad
7 hours ago, toddybad said:

Can't even trust the tories on security

Cuts could leave Trident nuclear base at risk of attack, says police boss

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/15/cuts-could-leave-trident-nuclear-base-at-risk-of-attack-says-police-boss

Whopee do a left wing article containing 'could' in a shitty left wing newspaper. Its like using the daily mail as a backup for an argument....absolute bollocking horseshit. Stop peddling this shit its done now.

The reason (more) people voted Tory is because they have jobs and want to keep them. Unfortunately now because young people decided to vote for 'Free Stuff and Bribes' we do not have a proper government and this may lead to problems.

I hope the young get their Labour government and they learn what a bunch Incompetent half wits they all are.

9 hours ago, davieG said:

If they were going to do deals with the SM they'll  already have done so. In effect we're the new kids on the block if they want to sell stuff to us then they'll  need to come to an agreement.

As for the numbers surely it is more about spending power and selling stuff they don't have or make. As I said sadly we're a buying country because we have few natural resources  and our manufacturing is terrible.

The UK is relatively rich in natural resources:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_the_United_Kingdom

6 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Because the majority of the electorate think they're a better option than the alternative would be my guess :whistle:

Not true. 

minority of the electorate thought that. 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

What's the betting that this "protest" turns into a riot?

So, you ask a rhetorical question implying that the Labour Party is an anti-democratic force. I answer that rhetorical question but you don't have the good grace to acknowledge that.

You merely move the goalposts to ask another rhetorical question designed to sling mud.

I could get down in the gutter with you to ask all sorts of biased questions as to whether the Tories are seeking to collapse the Peace Process, to roll back gay rights, to ruin the nation's finances and to make abortion illegal.

But I think that sort of gutter politics is pointless. The Peace Process might be damaged accidentally (a serious risk). I don't think the DUP will influence social policy in GB, and any softening of austerity is welcome, within reason.

I'll humour you and answer your latest slanted rhetorical question. My guess is that a small minority at any such protest will become unruly (hotheads, members of extremist factions, people who've been boozing etc.). McDonnell and co certainly won't want there to be a riot as it would damage their public image and lose them votes via negative media coverage. The vast majority of protesters would be peaceful.

8 hours ago, toddybad said:

Precisely. Leaving is madness. Also, find a young person that wants to leave. Same voter cabal are taking us out of europe that kept the tories in government. 

Even if this wasn't just a baseless statement, so?

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

So, you ask a rhetorical question implying that the Labour Party is an anti-democratic force. I answer that rhetorical question but you don't have the good grace to acknowledge that.

You merely move the goalposts to ask another rhetorical question designed to sling mud.

I could get down in the gutter with you to ask all sorts of biased questions as to whether the Tories are seeking to collapse the Peace Process, to roll back gay rights, to ruin the nation's finances and to make abortion legal.

But I think that sort of gutter politics is pointless. The Peace Process might be damaged accidentally (a serious risk). I don't think the DUP will influence social policy in GB, and any softening of austerity is welcome, within reason.

I'll humour you and answer your latest slanted rhetorical question. My guess is that a small minority at any such protest will become unruly (hotheads, members of extremist factions, people who've been boozing etc.). McDonnell and co certainly won't want there to be a riot as it would damage their public image and lose them votes via negative media coverage. The vast majority of protesters would be peaceful.

Gutter politics, stereotypes and crap slanderous rhetoric from @Webbo?

Surely not - He's better than that. (Well he used to be.)

2 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

Whopee do a left wing article containing 'could' in a shitty left wing newspaper. Its like using the daily mail as a backup for an argument....absolute bollocking horseshit. Stop peddling this shit its done now.

The reason (more) people voted Tory is because they have jobs and want to keep them. Unfortunately now because young people decided to vote for 'Free Stuff and Bribes' we do not have a proper government and this may lead to problems.

I hope the young get their Labour government and they learn what a bunch Incompetent half wits they all are.

You say it was just the young being bribed yet recent surveys suggest the tories only had a majority amongst the elderly - presumably because of years being treated favourably. Im not sure why you think its a bribe when its the young but not for other groups. 

I also hope the young get their labour government.

The State Opening of Parliament and Queen's Speech will take place next Wednesday, Commons leader Andrea Leadsom has announced.

It had been due to take place on Monday, but was delayed by Theresa May's efforts to strike a deal with the DUP to back her minority government.

The Queen will read out a prepared speech on Mrs May's plans for new laws.

It is expected to be a slimmed down programme after the PM lost her majority in the general election.

It is not yet clear whether the EU withdrawal talks, which had been due to start on Monday, will also now go ahead on Wednesday, although Brexit Secretary David Davis has said they will start "next week".

In a statement, Mrs Leadsom said: "The government has agreed with Buckingham Palace that the State Opening of Parliament will take place on 21 June 2017."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is planning to set out his party's own programme for government in a substantial amendment to the Queen's Speech, and will urge all other parties to back it in an attempt to topple Mrs May and form a minority Labour administration.

But the Conservatives are confident they can agree a deal with the Democratic Unionists, who have 10 MPs, that will allow them to get their programme through.

Peace process

Talks are continuing between the DUP and Conservatives on the details of a deal, which could see the Northern Irish party supporting the Tories on the Queen's Speech and the Budget but deciding on other issues on a vote-by-vote basis.

Mrs May is holding talks on Thursday with other Northern Ireland political parties amid concerns a DUP deal will undermine the peace process.

The prime minister was meeting separately with representatives of Sinn Fein, the Ulster Unionists, the SDLP and the Alliance Party, as well as the DUP, in Downing Street.

DUP leader Arlene Foster, who met Mrs May in No 10 on Tuesday, is understood to have returned to Northern Ireland leaving her deputy Nigel Dodds to represent the party at Thursday's meeting.

The 1998 Good Friday Agreement commits the UK and Irish governments to demonstrate "rigorous impartiality" in their dealings with the different political traditions in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein's Stormont leader Michelle O'Neill said: "I will be making it very clear that any deal between the Tories and the DUP cannot be allowed to undermine the Good Friday and subsequent agreements."

Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire insisted the government would honour its commitments in the Good Friday Agreement and warned that time was running out if power sharing was to be restored and a return to direct rule from Westminster avoided.

"An agreement to restore devolved power-sharing government in Stormont must be reached by the 29 June deadline," he said.

17 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Tim Farron has finally realised that believing that homosexuality is a sin is not Liberal and wanting to overturn the will of the British people is not Democratic. 

The daft Christian twat. 

? Apart from that he talked a fair bit of sense. 

The next candidate they pick to lead must be somebody extraordinarily good.

Archived