Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Hammers and Newcastle raided in Tax Fraud investugation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39716009

Newcastle United and West Ham's grounds have been raided in a fraud investigation.

HMRC said it deployed 180 officers across the UK and France, resulting in the arrests of several men working within professional football.

It said investigators had searched a number of premises in the north east and south east of England.

A spokesman added it had also seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones.

The arrests were connected to a suspected income tax and National Insurance fraud, he added.

BBC Sports editor Dan Roan has tweeted that West Ham United was one of the clubs involved.

Newcastle United's St. James' Park ground has also been searched.

Wonder if this will go wider than just the two clubs. No coincidence that it's the two clubs with owners who don't exactly fill you with trust in the way they go about their business...

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Doesn't seem as a big a deal as the headline makes out to me.

They'll investigate the suspects, if they're found guilty of fraud they'll get a hefty fine. Would be surprised if it affected the clubs.

If they are raiding club grounds then surely it is linked to the clubs? 

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

One can only dream!

Similar thing happened to Swindon once

" In 1990, Ossie Ardiles guided them to victory in the play-offs and secured them a place in the top flight.

Several days later this was ripped from the side when the Football Association punished them for irregular payments to players.

They were relegated two divisions - which was reduced to one on appeal. "

12 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

If they are raiding club grounds then surely it is linked to the clubs? 

I guess if the clubs have been gaining an advantage by fiddling players payments/taxes then there would be.

At first look though it just seems to me like it's higher ups in the club being accused of fraud and lining their own pockets. In which case, I find it hard to believe the club would be punished, especially in a sportive way.

1 minute ago, Buce said:

True.

But how is that relevant?

Well you'd think any dodgy dealings with Newcastle would been investigated by now given it's 10 year since he spent all of 8 months at the club.

Just now, Facecloth said:

Well you'd think any dodgy dealings with Newcastle would been investigated by now given it's 10 year since he spent all of 8 months at the club.

Possibly.

Or maybe his dodgy dealings with England made them look into his past. Anyway, I was just idly speculating, nothing else.

16 minutes ago, Buce said:

Possibly.

Or maybe his dodgy dealings with England made them look into his past. Anyway, I was just idly speculating, nothing else.

That I hadn't thought of, good point.

Archived