Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Leicester woman killed by neighbours

The country we live in eh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-39804073

Pair killed neighbour over child's burst football

• These are external links and will open in a new window
Kelly MachinImage copyrightLEICESTERSHIRE POLICE Image captionKelly Machin, 34, died "alone and in pain, with significant breathing difficulties"

A father and daughter who launched a fatal attack on a neighbour who punctured a child's football have been convicted of manslaughter.

Kelly Machin, 34, had been fed up with balls landing in her back garden in Leicester, so she burst one before throwing it back over the fence.

The child's mother and grandfather assaulted her and she died almost two weeks later.

A jury found both Natalie Bollen and William Jelly guilty of manslaughter.

William Harbage, prosecuting at Leicester Crown Court, said Ms Machin had been having problems with Bollen, who lived two doors down in Waldwick Close, for several months.

Kill threat

She was concerned about the excessive noise made by Bollen's children, and bothered by them regularly kicking balls into her garden.

On the day of the assault, 23 August 2016, she punctured one of the balls with a knife.

A group of women, with Bollen described as the "ringleader", then gathered outside Ms Machin's home shouting "Come out Kelly", the court heard.

Bollen banged on her door, swearing and shouting: "You might not come out now Kelly, but I'm gonna kill ya."

Ms Machin called 999 and told police that she was scared for her life.

The group of women went away but Bollen returned about 20 minutes later with her father, and her father's wife.

Natalie Bollen (right) Image captionNatalie Bollen (right) attacked and killed her neighbour over a burst football

A friend of Ms Machin, Winston Hinds, answered the door and the defendants "barged their way into the house uninvited", the court was told.

Natalie Bollen punched Ms Machin about three times to the head, and William Jelly then punched or pushed her, causing her to fall over and crash into a coffee table, fracturing her ribs.

"When she was on the floor, the defendants then left her curled up on the floor crying, and holding her ribs," said Mr Harbage.

Waldwick Close Image captionA friend found Kelly Machin dead at her house in Waldwick Close

Ms Machin called emergency services while the defendants were still in the house and in the 999 call she can be heard crying out in pain and saying: "They smashed my head up."

Both defendants can also be heard shouting aggressively to Ms Machin before they leave.

Police and paramedics attended but it was not felt necessary for her to go to hospital.

Died 'alone and in pain'

She continued experiencing severe pain and was eventually taken to hospital on 28 August, but her injuries were regarded as not requiring emergency treatment.

However, the rib fractures caused 1.9 litres of blood to gradually accumulate around her heart, which stopped working.

Mr Harbage said she died "alone and in pain, with significant breathing difficulties" at her home on the weekend of 3 and 4 September.

Mr Hinds found her dead on the sofa when he went to her house on 5 September.

Jelly, 48, from Impey Close in Thorpe Astley, was not in the dock for the verdicts as he collapsed in court earlier and was taken to hospital.

Both he and his daughter, who is 28, will be sentenced at Leicester Crown Court in June

fvcking hell that's terrible. 

amazed at this bit :o 

4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Police and paramedics attended but it was not felt necessary for her to go to hospital.

She continued experiencing severe pain and was eventually taken to hospital on 28 August, but her injuries were regarded as not requiring emergency treatment.

However, the rib fractures caused 1.9 litres of blood to gradually accumulate around her heart, which stopped working.

I thought some of the incidents on the 'Nightmare Neighbours From Hell' programme were bad and had the potential to have been even worse outcomes, but this is sadly ridiculous.

It was just a football, inexpensive to buy another one, for goodness sake! :/

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

fvcking hell that's terrible. 

amazed at this bit :o 

Same! a horrible story but WTF are the paramedics and police doing!?

11 hours ago, CKB said:

Same! a horrible story but WTF are the paramedics and police doing!?

I have no connection with this incident, but I would suggest that there was no immediate or obvious threat to her medically. Certainly there would have been no evidence of bleeding into the pericardial sac at that time. Fractured ribs are rarely treated by anything other than rest and pain relief as the ribs are "self-splinting" as they are so close together with sheets of muscle encasing them so she probably didn't present initially as being in danger, just in pain.

She was still in severe pain 5 days later and was then rightly taken to hospital. I don't know what tests they did or didn't do but they must have been of the opinion that there was nothing serious happening. A bleed of that nature may not have shown any signs on ECG's or x-rays and this poor girl was probably thinking she would get better because, probably, that's she had been told would happen.

It's a toughie - imagine hitting somebody a couple of times in a moment of anger after somebody had upset your kids and it wasn't your finest hour but you just were so annoyed.... And then a knock at the door two weeks later to say your assault charge just got upgraded to manslaughter.... Christ.

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It's a toughie - imagine hitting somebody a couple of times in a moment of anger after somebody had upset your kids and it wasn't your finest hour but you just were so annoyed.... And then a knock at the door two weeks later to say your assault charge just got upgraded to manslaughter.... Christ.

I'm sorry mate but just dont hit someone in the first place? Especially a bloke hitting a women, if they had any about them they would of realised that she was hurt and done something about it then. Violence is never the answer.

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I'm sorry mate but just dont hit someone in the first place? Especially a bloke hitting a women, if they had any about them they would of realised that she was hurt and done something about it then. Violence is never the answer.

I'm not making excuses - and the woman I believe hit her and the bloke pushed her over but my point is that their intent was obviously not to kill but now find themselves royally screwed.

13 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

sounds like there may have been some pre-meditation to it considering they were in the victim's house when it happened I think?

13 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Wow, condoning punching someone several times, including a man hitting a woman, all over a burst football. How very tolerant.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

sounds like there may have been some pre-meditation to it considering they were in the victim's house when it happened I think?

Yep, they appeared as a group to harass the woman, then left, only to come back later on and force their way in. Scumbags.

7 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Wow, condoning punching someone several times, including a man hitting a woman, all over a burst football. How very tolerant.

9 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I'm not making excuses - and the woman I believe hit her and the bloke pushed her over but my point is that their intent was obviously not to kill but now find themselves royally screwed.

I'm not condoning anything - just considering some alternate perspectives rather than solely the news article presented... I've worked with victims and perpetrators of violence for over a decade and its not usually possible to sum everything up in a just manner from a singular news article...

When a friend texted her to say that the neighbour had died, she text back saying "yes dead & gone xx"

I doesn't sound like she regretted her actions, was in any way sorry & is too stupid to know that she's responsible for that persons death. 

If I had punched someone in a rare moment of anger & later found out that the person had died, I would probably throw up - not send a text saying "great xx"

57 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I'm not condoning anything - just considering some alternate perspectives rather than solely the news article presented... I've worked with victims and perpetrators of violence for over a decade and its not usually possible to sum everything up in a just manner from a singular news article...

The intent might not have been to kill her, but to go round with a group to threaten her at first, then 20 mins later return, force your way in and beat her up isn't really cricket is it? I don't know about you, but I don't go round beating people up over disagreements.

6 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

The intent might not have been to kill her, but to go round with a group to threaten her at first, then 20 mins later return, force your way in and beat her up isn't really cricket is it? I don't know about you, but I don't go round beating people up over disagreements.

And I've written nothing that would disagree with any of that.

Archived