Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Shakespeare - The Poll

Shakespeare - The Poll  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shakespeare be permanent manager?

6 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

It is all about recruitment now as this SQUAD if we get injuries, as we have seen is relegation fodder.

With us a mid table side, is Shakey as manager going to be able to attract what we need?

I don't think so. 

Whilst it has its risks, appointing a higher profile manager (as long as he is also decent - not a 'Sven' type name) could attract players we need to push on.

Spending big on a manager could make the recruitment job that bit easier.

it's not just about getting a high profile manager, they'll usually want high profile players, we need to unearth a few Ali type level players, he had a bit of a rep before going to spurs, but was far from the finished article, lower leagues for me, need players that are used to the British game, non league type players, we are going to be waiting to long I personally like the link with Tammy Abraham, squad players from the big teams, an top performing championship players, can strengthen us, if the right ones are made. We have seen what happens when u just go looking to spend £30+ million on a player from a different league.

43 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

What about candidates who are not available?

I'm open to suggestions on that part. I don't see anyone in the PL with experience of managing a top 10 side. 

The line about big name managers brings better signings is horseshit. Big money and playing in the top half of the table brings better signings. If you say Ranieri was a big name, the vast majority of his signings have been shit.

When someone goes to sign a player, it works like this; player rings people who've worked with him before (so in Shaky's case, England internationals and our squad) and they will ask what's he like. Agent of player will do the same. Then it's just all about the dollar.

8 hours ago, FireFox said:

Actually 6th.

22 points and +4 GD, sandwiched between Arsenal on +5 and Crystal Paalce on +3, but people will laugh if we suggest Wenger or Allardyce as our next manager. Bournemouth are also at 19 points (and +2 GD) since he took over and could well beat us and also end up with 22 (and thus at least +3 GD with us also at most +3 GD). But we don't want to go out and get Howe?

He also had a very good start which can be put down to "new manager bounce". If you look at the table since after the first few games, we are much lower.

I'll quote your sig: "Remember that time we won the league". Unless you are saying that Paulo Sousa was a bigger name than Claudio Ranieri?! Yes he had recently failed as the Greece manager, but he was still a big name, and - regardless of how much of a role you consider he had in the title win or how he would have gotten us relegated - he cannot be called "absolutely ***ing terrible for us. I'm not having that.

I'm also not sure how many of us are calling for a "big name". We're calling for a manager, not a coach. We're calling for someone with top-flight experience, not someone who "gets along with the players, has their respect," et cetera.

I meant Sousa, Ranieri's stock was the lowest it'd been for decades. He's well known but I wouldn't say he's a particularly big name whereas Sousa was a champion's league winner as a player. Especially when you consider we were a championship club at the time.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I'm open to suggestions on that part. I don't see anyone in the PL with experience of managing a top 10 side. 

The line about big name managers brings better signings is horseshit. Big money and playing in the top half of the table brings better signings. If you say Ranieri was a big name, the vast majority of his signings have been shit.

When someone goes to sign a player, it works like this; player rings people who've worked with him before (so in Shaky's case, England internationals and our squad) and they will ask what's he like. Agent of player will do the same. Then it's just all about the dollar.

I think nearly all the signings, good and bad were a collective decision but mostly by Walsh, but of course he always conveniently gets the praise for the good ones and Ranieri the bad. For the record, whether true or not,  Ranieri on two occasions to my knowledge, when asked about the buying of players said that he was just the coach inferring that he just worked with who he was given. He would have first hand knowledge of Mendy and perhaps some of Inler,  but could you honestly say he was the inspiration behind Musa from the Russian league, Kaputska or  Slimani? The latter was being followed before Ranieris arrival. 

Got to remember if we don't give it to Shakespeare, then whoever comes in may change exactly what we have been good at pressing teams.

Barring a few players we really don't have the personnel to change to a new system, so be careful what you wish for.

Can't think of a single manager that could've done a better job than Shakey's done since taking over. We were 18th in the league and many on here believed we'd definitely go down. Since taking over he's averaged just over 1.8 points per game, if we had that form over this whole season we'd finish 6th. Not to mention 5 of those games were against the top 7 whilst balancing the champions league games in between. 

33 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Can't think of a single manager that could've done a better job than Shakey's done since taking over. We were 18th in the league and many on here believed we'd definitely go down. Since taking over he's averaged just over 1.8 points per game, if we had that form over this whole season we'd finish 6th. Not to mention 5 of those games were against the top 7 whilst balancing the champions league games in between. 

I agree but knowing the owners ambition and always wanting a so called big named manager are they going to use the Spurs game to not give him the role full time,have they found a replacement already andbthe question would be also if shakey doesn't get the job will he now be able to revert back to being an assistant if that was to happen?

I for one feel Shakey has done enough to claim the job full time but our owners are the ones to make the choice and we can speculate all we like but it's down to them and we can't do a damn thing about it but hope our owners do the right thing !!

Big name would be Leonardo Jardim.

Best portuguese manager/coach right now and one of the best in the world, I believe.
José Mourinho didn't evolve/improve and is a bit lost in past. And he is more worried with big bugdet transfer$ - to keep is friend Jorge Mende$ happy than win games and titles..

Jardim is used to play with unknown or mid tier players.
He 'made' a top class midfielder from an unknown lad - William Carvalho.

With Jardim and just a couple more players Leicester would be in top 10 and with a few more players in UEFA/champions position.
And in second season fight for the title again.

Its difficult to bring him but if the owners really want to improve and get back to uefa games.. it would be a very good bet for manager position.

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

Sven and Sousa

I'll give you Sven (I still think he's a great manager).  Sousa seems to be doing quite well with Fiorentina, though I still don't consider him a big manager.  You know that's the conundrum of managers.  Some great managers will do poorly from time to time.  I'm not sure it is always their fault.

3 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

I'll give you Sven (I still think he's a great manager).  Sousa seems to be doing quite well with Fiorentina, though I still don't consider him a big manager.  You know that's the conundrum of managers.  Some great managers will do poorly from time to time.  I'm not sure it is always their fault.

I very much agree with your last sentence. I didn't think it was Shakespeare's fault that we got beat on Thursday. 

17 hours ago, FireFox said:

Actually 6th.

22 points and +4 GD, sandwiched between Arsenal on +5 and Crystal Paalce on +3, but people will laugh if we suggest Wenger or Allardyce as our next manager. Bournemouth are also at 19 points (and +2 GD) since he took over and could well beat us and also end up with 22 (and thus at least +3 GD with us also at most +3 GD). But we don't want to go out and get Howe?

He also had a very good start which can be put down to "new manager bounce". If you look at the table since after the first few games, we are much lower.

I'll quote your sig: "Remember that time we won the league". Unless you are saying that Paulo Sousa was a bigger name than Claudio Ranieri?! Yes he had recently failed as the Greece manager, but he was still a big name, and - regardless of how much of a role you consider he had in the title win or how he would have gotten us relegated - he cannot be called "absolutely ***ing terrible for us. I'm not having that.

I'm also not sure how many of us are calling for a "big name". We're calling for a manager, not a coach. We're calling for someone with top-flight experience, not someone who "gets along with the players, has their respect," et cetera.

That is spinning the facts to suit your argument at it's very best right there. Wow. New manager bounce is a new one haha.  Classic. 

Actually I wouldn't mind Howe as our manager. Done a good job at Bournemouth similar to Pearson did for us. Quality man manager, gets the best out of players. 

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think nearly all the signings, good and bad were a collective decision but mostly by Walsh, but of course he always conveniently gets the praise for the good ones and Ranieri the bad. For the record, whether true or not,  Ranieri on two occasions to my knowledge, when asked about the buying of players said that he was just the coach inferring that he just worked with who he was given. He would have first hand knowledge of Mendy and perhaps some of Inler,  but could you honestly say he was the inspiration behind Musa from the Russian league, Kaputska or  Slimani? The latter was being followed before Ranieris arrival. 

Walsh did play a part in those signings but that wasn't my point. Walsh identifies and Ranieri agreed but if you use the rationale that the big name of Ranieri is what got them to sign, then it proves what nonsense the line is about big name managers = better players. 

Because simply managers have barely anything to do with transfers in modern day football.

6 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Pay off is irrelevant and there's nothing to the racism thing at all.

He's realistic and fits the criteria.

Gerrimin.

Pay off isn't irrelevant because it tells you what his expected pay packet is and it's way out of our league. 

Nowhere near realistic

Pay off isn't irrelevant because it tells you what his expected pay packet is and it's way out of our league. 

Nowhere near realistic

We dont know what the payoff included so it is irrelevant.

What's relevant is he fits the criteria like a glove.

Come on, just admit it.  You love the idea.  Just say it.  Say he'd be a good choice.

Dont be proud.

Walsh did play a part in those signings but that wasn't my point. Walsh identifies and Ranieri agreed but if you use the rationale that the big name of Ranieri is what got them to sign, then it proves what nonsense the line is about big name managers = better players. 

Because simply managers have barely anything to do with transfers in modern day football.

I beg to differ not being awkward. If Guadiola, Klopp, Conte, Pochetinno, Ancellotti, Mancini or Ranieri (when he'd just won the Premiership ) rang me, I'd be more interested than if Mattarazzi, Alladyce, Pearson, McLaren,  Bruce or Shakespeare rang me.  With the first group they have all won something at a high level and I would believe that I also would have the opportunity of joining something special and someone who could best influence my career. The second group, whilst well known,  in comparison, are lesser lights. However, if I was only interested in earning more money and not interested in progression, Id look more at the package. I  don't think we really want that type of player though do we?

42 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I beg to differ not being awkward. If Guadiola, Klopp, Conte, Pochetinno, Ancellotti, Mancini or Ranieri (when he'd just won the Premiership ) rang me, I'd be more interested than if Mattarazzi, Alladyce, Pearson, McLaren,  Bruce or Shakespeare rang me.  With the first group they have all won something at a high level and I would believe that I also would have the opportunity of joining something special and someone who could best influence my career. The second group, whilst well known,  in comparison, are lesser lights. However, if I was only interested in earning more money and not interested in progression, Id look more at the package. I  don't think we really want that type of player though do we?

Please enlighten me....

52 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

We dont know what the payoff included so it is irrelevant.

What's relevant is he fits the criteria like a glove.

Come on, just admit it.  You love the idea.  Just say it.  Say he'd be a good choice.

Dont be proud.

The only name I've seen us linked to who'd I like is Roger Schmidt.

51 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

You've lost the original thread of conversation - why a big name at Leicester doesn't mean big players. 

Out of those managers you've named who are realistically going to manage Leicester? Mancini is the only possibility who already has a reptuation amongst players for being an awkward, difficult guy. 

If we compete against any of the bigger clubs and we lose out it will be because they are a bigger club. Of course you'd be interested in the first set because they manage the biggest six clubs in England. 

We will be for the most part competiting with the second group of managers for players, as I described earlier the player would ring around and source opinion on what each manager is like alongside factors like wages, lifestyle or a clubs realistic chance of silverware. 

Jordan Veretout is a great example. In the summer of 2016, two clubs who just stayed out of relegation had bids accepted. Villa and Leicester. Despite us having Claudio Ranieri as manager, Veretout decided to sign for Tim sodding Sherwood because it was more money and Villa had more prestige. We had a bigger managerial name but it didn't matter. We had similar seasons the year previous and similar prospects for the forthcoming season. 

14 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

What about candidates who are not available?

Good point. Now is the obvious time to move for someone already in work.

When asking the question which big name managers would be interested in Leicester City an example comes to mind.  

Rafa Benitez was a blockbuster move by Newcastle.  Clearly a top manager (Ancelotti claims he's one of the smartest).  As a newly fired manager by the Moron of Real Madrid, he was eager to get back into managing.  Newcastle found and pounced on this opportunity.  Clearly he is not a manager that would ordinarily consider the likes of a Newcastle.  But there are times and opportunities out there.  This combined with an owner who wants to go big, the opportunity is irresistible.  

Today all consider Chelsea a big team.  Merely twentyfive years ago it was a Leicester City vying for the big time.  The process starting from Gullit to Ranieri...and then to mourinho Ancelotti and Conte.  Time we start thinking bigger.  The owners I bet are.

4 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

When asking the question which big name managers would be interested in Leicester City an example comes to mind.  

Rafa Benitez was a blockbuster move by Newcastle.  Clearly a top manager (Ancelotti claims he's one of the smartest).  As a newly fired manager by the Moron of Real Madrid, he was eager to get back into managing.  Newcastle found and pounced on this opportunity.  Clearly he is not a manager that would ordinarily consider the likes of a Newcastle.  But there are times and opportunities out there.  This combined with an owner who wants to go big, the opportunity is irresistible.  

Today all consider Chelsea a big team.  Merely twentyfive years ago it was a Leicester City vying for the big time.  The process starting from Gullit to Ranieri...and then to mourinho Ancelotti and Conte.  Time we start thinking bigger.  The owners I bet are.

I don't think there's any chance that our owners would be able invest at anywhere near the scale of Abramovich at Chelsea.

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Please enlighten me....

Haha, yes you're absolutely right what a cock up! Of all the teams to get wrong, I beg your forgiveness?  Sadly I do rate him highly and it would be an attractive proposition to go and play for him, however, Levi's pay is a nowhere near as attractive as ours!

Archived