Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

Second week in a row, a rather poor performance. Last week we got lucky, this week we got what we deserved.

Kapustka got subbed in during half-time, but again he was pretty weak. Hope his injury isn't too bad though. Haven't heard anything about it yet.

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FIF said:

At least Pearson can't be blamed for that. Or can he?

Just a lack of quality on the pitch, simple as that.

Luckily a lot of our players are out of contract next season. To be honest, I wouldn't renew a single one!

If we want to avoid another horror season like this one, we have a lot of work to do this summer!

14 hours ago, FIF said:

At least Pearson can't be blamed for that. Or can he?

It would have been amazing, had we won or at least competed for the win in all games since he left, wouldn't it? That would have been some statement that indeed, it was just Pearson. Like flipping a switch. Lights out, lights on. But sure, if you mishandle a group of players long enough, like he did, if you don't work on link-up play, don't train automatisms for 18 months, you can't expect players to make up for that every game by sheer effort. So when a few players have lost top form or aren't 100% focussed, obviously you can still lose. And yes, i would still tend to blame the former manager for a large part, for lack of building an actual "team". You can't expect the new managers to fix 18 months worth of issues within a few weeks.

Let's also not forget who formed this squad to begin with. He was the one that decided which players could stay, and which players to bring in. Unfortunately, with the likes of Kapustka and Hirst, he chose poorly. These players were brought in with the intent to be starting players, to build the team around, but since the new managers, they hardly played 10 minutes, and guys that weren't meant to play as starters, had to take their place. Obviously, you can't do that without repercussions, and for this as well, Pearson is to blame.

9 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Just a lack of quality on the pitch, simple as that.

Luckily a lot of our players are out of contract next season. To be honest, I wouldn't renew a single one!

If we want to avoid another horror season like this one, we have a lot of work to do this summer!

If it's only a lack of quality, then how did we play so well against Mechelen, Beerschot, Union... one week after another after Pearson left? Since the week he left, we've played on an entirely different level... until last week. It doesn't help if your best player has to be subbed off at halftime, because he got sick. Only to be replaced by Kapustka... one of Pearson's protected boys (who played his last good game in November or December). I'm sure Leicester fans can relate, how one player can make a team tick. How would they fare currently without Tielemans?
It's a mental problem, and the fact that Pearson has been mishandling these guys for over a year, not working on a solid gameplan, not drilling automatism into the squad. This isn't fixed in two or three weeks.

You seem to be very eager (once more) to just blame it all on the players. You wouldn't renew Maertens' contract? You wouldn't renew Tshimangan's contract? Kotysch? Libert?

I agree, a large part of them should be given the boot. Hirst, Kapustka, Dequevy, Kehli, Persoons, Duplus, Kawin, Schuermans... some for lack of quality, others for lack of mentality. Some for both. And still, this group should never have been fighting to survive against a team where players aren't getting paid, a team missing a few key players due to medical issues, a team that has even less quality... in a home game, no less. Despite Pearson building a poor team, there was still enough to work with without having to fight relegation. It's pearson's selection of players. It's Pearson that neglected to form a team out of them, month after month. This is still mainly due to Pearson selecting the wrong players, and not molding a team out of those players. But it is true, that we were let down by the guys on the pitch yesterday. Simply a lack of mentality and focus. Also a lack of quality, but even then, they should still have been able to perform better.

Ironically, the players i would try to keep, have all been here from before Pearson. lol

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lizhang said:

If it's only a lack of quality, then how did we play so well against Mechelen, Beerschot, Union... one week after another after Pearson left? Since the week he left, we've played on an entirely different level... until last week. It doesn't help if your best player has to be subbed off at halftime, because he got sick. Only to be replaced by Kapustka... one of Pearson's protected boys (who played his last good game in November or December). I'm sure Leicester fans can relate, how one player can make a team tick. How would they fare currently without Tielemans?
It's a mental problem, and the fact that Pearson has been mishandling these guys for over a year, not working on a solid gameplan, not drilling automatism into the squad. This isn't fixed in two or three weeks.

You seem to be very eager (once more) to just blame it all on the players. You wouldn't renew Maertens' contract? You wouldn't renew Tshimangan's contract? Kotysch? Libert?

I agree, a large part of them should be given the boot. Hirst, Kapustka, Dequevy, Kehli, Persoons, Duplus, Kawin, Schuermans... some for lack of quality, others for lack of mentality. Some for both. And still, this group should never have been fighting to survive against a team where players aren't getting paid, a team missing a few key players due to medical issues, a team that has even less quality... in a home game, no less. Despite Pearson building a poor team, there was still enough to work with without having to fight relegation. It's pearson's selection of players. It's Pearson that neglected to form a team out of them, month after month. This is still mainly due to Pearson selecting the wrong players, and not molding a team out of those players. But it is true, that we were let down by the guys on the pitch yesterday. Simply a lack of mentality and focus. Also a lack of quality, but even then, they should still have been able to perform better.

Ironically, the players i would try to keep, have all been here from before Pearson. lol

I said I wouldn't renew a single contract of the guys that are out of contract next season. So Dequevy, Persoons, Hubert, Kostovski, Aguemon, Diedhiou are out. I wouldn't even bring back any of the guys that are here on loan. Maybe Elliot Moore, who has been doing better since he plays alongside Kotysch.

Maertens, Tshimanga, Kotysch, Libert still have a contract next season, which is a good thing. Maertens has been our best player since he's been here. Of course I would give him a new contract that would keep him here a few more years.

I agree that this team has completely been mismanaged by Pearson and that we shouldn't have been fighting off relegation. There has been a huge improvement since Euvrard and Vercauteren took over, so I'm not worried that we will drop to the amateur division.

But yes, we lost against Tubize because we lack the necessary quality. We lost Maertens at halftime due to illness, which is a big loss. The fact that nobody can take over his role is a lack of quality in my opinion. The fact that our wingers couldn't get past their defenders and cross the ball, is a lack of quality. The fact that we can't impose our will against a team that parks the bus, is a lack of quality.

Like I said, the club has a lot of work to do this summer. First of all, they need to make sure that Euvrard and Vercauteren stay for next season (and hopefully a couple of seasons). With the expiring contract we can get rid of low quality players that are on big contracts. If we can replace them with good players we can really start dreaming of playing for promotion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonanza said:

I said I wouldn't renew a single contract of the guys that are out of contract next season. So Dequevy, Persoons, Hubert, Kostovski, Aguemon, Diedhiou are out. I wouldn't even bring back any of the guys that are here on loan. Maybe Elliot Moore, who has been doing better since he plays alongside Kotysch.

Maertens, Tshimanga, Kotysch, Libert still have a contract next season, which is a good thing. Maertens has been our best player since he's been here. Of course I would give him a new contract that would keep him here a few more years.

I agree that this team has completely been mismanaged by Pearson and that we shouldn't have been fighting off relegation. There has been a huge improvement since Euvrard and Vercauteren took over, so I'm not worried that we will drop to the amateur division.

But yes, we lost against Tubize because we lack the necessary quality. We lost Maertens at halftime due to illness, which is a big loss. The fact that nobody can take over his role is a lack of quality in my opinion. The fact that our wingers couldn't get past their defenders and cross the ball, is a lack of quality. The fact that we can't impose our will against a team that parks the bus, is a lack of quality.

Like I said, the club has a lot of work to do this summer. First of all, they need to make sure that Euvrard and Vercauteren stay for next season (and hopefully a couple of seasons). With the expiring contract we can get rid of low quality players that are on big contracts. If we can replace them with good players we can really start dreaming of playing for promotion.

Thanks for the update! Good to get some more context. Have there been any rumours about who the new manager might bring in or shift out this summer?

Such a shame about Hirst. He was supposed to be a future talent, and you'd have hoped he kick on well with gametime at Leuven.

13 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Thanks for the update! Good to get some more context. Have there been any rumours about who the new manager might bring in or shift out this summer?

Such a shame about Hirst. He was supposed to be a future talent, and you'd have hoped he kick on well with gametime at Leuven.

There haven't been any rumors of new players yet, because the new managers focus on this season only. They only have contracts until the end of this season and refuse to talk about staying until we're sure we won't drop down. 

If they stay, their first concern will be to reduce the number of players in our squad. We now have 30 players, which is way too much for the Belgian second division. Second, they need to improve the quality of the squad. We need players that can make a difference. Players that can put the team on their shoulders.

The 'George Hirst situation' has been really disappointing. Nobody got any better from that deal, not Leuven, not George, not Leicester. It was very naive to think a kid, who didn't play any first team football in his life, would be a star player for us. This also has been bad judgement/management by Pearson. On thing is for sure, Vercauteren won't accept things like this. The players that will be here next season will be here because Vercauteren wants them to. He won't accept guys from the Leicester development squad that aren't good enough to really make a differnce here.

Like I said, it's going to be an interesting and busy summer!

• Thanks 1

Results and standings after the second round:

OH Leuven - Tubize   0-1

Roeselare - Lommel   0-1

1. Lommel        19 pts

2. OH Leuven  18 pts

3. Roeselare    18 pts

4. Tubize          16 pts

We play Roeselare away coming Sunday.

38 minutes ago, Bonanza said:

Results and standings after the second round:

OH Leuven - Tubize   0-1

Roeselare - Lommel   0-1

1. Lommel        19 pts

2. OH Leuven  18 pts

3. Roeselare    18 pts

4. Tubize          16 pts

We play Roeselare away coming Sunday.

Is it the bottom team that gets relegated, or do multiple teams go down? 

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is it the bottom team that gets relegated, or do multiple teams go down? 

the bottom team plays the top team for a europa spot then bottom plays second for a champions league spot if bottom loses both then they are relegated.

the league confuses me

Edited by tylesta

On 02/04/2019 at 11:09, Bonanza said:

Season-ending knee injury for Kapustka. He already left Leuven and returned to Leicester City where he will work on his recovery

Get well soon, Bartosz!

Poor little cabbage. Really hasn't gone his way since his "debut" at Euros.

Wish him the best in his recovery and hope to see him playing again soon.

Update, bottom team Tubize got another draw yesterday and are now three games unbeaten.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification   LOM ROE OHL TUB
1 Lommel 3 1 1 1 2 3 −1 20       0–2  
2 Roeselare 2 0 1 1 1 2 −1 18   0–1    
3 OH Leuven 2 1 0 1 2 1 +1 18       0–1
4 Tubize 3 1 2 0 3 2 +1 17 Relegation to the 2019–20 Belgian First Amateur Division   1–1 1–1  

Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Position obtained in regular season (Roeselare 5th, Lommel 6th, OH Leuven 7th, Tubize 8th)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pelotas said:

Update, bottom team Tubize got another draw yesterday and are now three games unbeaten.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification   LOM ROE OHL TUB
1 Lommel 3 1 1 1 2 3 −1 20       0–2  
2 Roeselare 2 0 1 1 1 2 −1 18   0–1    
3 OH Leuven 2 1 0 1 2 1 +1 18       0–1
4 Tubize 3 1 2 0 3 2 +1 17 Relegation to the 2019–20 Belgian First Amateur Division   1–1 1–1  

Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Position obtained in regular season (Roeselare 5th, Lommel 6th, OH Leuven 7th, Tubize 8th)

A win over Roeslare and Leuven are on easy street.