Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

53 minutes ago, Fox992 said:

I think we should get Elliott Moore back for next season as competition for the centre backs. 

I doubt he'll do a third season on loan in leuven. Would expect him to come back and be sent out on loan to league 1/2 level. In hindsight that probably would have been more valuable experience for him this year than how it's panned out at leuven

3 hours ago, nwl fox said:

I doubt he'll do a third season on loan in leuven. Would expect him to come back and be sent out on loan to league 1/2 level. In hindsight that probably would have been more valuable experience for him this year than how it's panned out at leuven

I think a different route through football can provide valuable experience that others wouldn't have. In going to Leuven he's been part of a promotion battle as well as a relegation battle in a league that he wouldn't have prior knowledge of. He's also captained his side so at a young age he has had to deal with a great deal of responsibility. Simply sending players to the English lower leagues is not the best option always, the Belgian, dutch and other European leagues have a very good reputation for bringing through youth and I think we have a lot to learn from them in that respect. I'd personally like more of our youth to gain experience abroad, what's Johnson gonna learn at Hibs that's gonna help us? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lizhang said:

For the second year running, our youth teams have secured a spot among the nation's elite, for "PlayOff 1" (the best 8). OHL is the only non-first-division team to secure a spot among the best 8 youth teams of the country. To me this is not surprising, as i have stated many times that we have one of the best youth divisions in the country, but it might be for people that don't follow the club closely or would make assumptions based on first team history.

https://www.ohleuven.com/nieuws/1087564/

Oud-Heverlee Leuven

KRC Genk

Club Brugge

KAA Gent

Standard de Liège

RSC Anderlecht

Sint-Truiden VV

Sporting Charleroi

Watch NFP get all the accolades if this team does well lol 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, cal21212121 said:

I think a different route through football can provide valuable experience that others wouldn't have. In going to Leuven he's been part of a promotion battle as well as a relegation battle in a league that he wouldn't have prior knowledge of. He's also captained his side so at a young age he has had to deal with a great deal of responsibility. Simply sending players to the English lower leagues is not the best option always, the Belgian, dutch and other European leagues have a very good reputation for bringing through youth and I think we have a lot to learn from them in that respect. I'd personally like more of our youth to gain experience abroad, what's Johnson gonna learn at Hibs that's gonna help us? 

Purely talking about the 2nd season, I think the 1st season had value, not sure how much he's gained this season and how much its dented his confidence

On 08/03/2019 at 11:59, nwl fox said:

Purely talking about the 2nd season, I think the 1st season had value, not sure how much he's gained this season and how much its dented his confidence

Last season he was one of our best players, this season he has been quite awful, just like 95% of the team. But I have to say he's doing a lot better under the new manager(s) and since he plays alongside Sascha Kotysch, who is very experienced and talks a lot to Elliot. In my opinion it wouldn't be fair to judge a young player like him after this season. I wouldn't mind having him back next season.

Edited by Bonanza
  • Like 1

On 05/03/2019 at 18:35, Lizhang said:

Hard to predict, but either the Lommel game will be tense, or if not, it will be the last game either way... And we tend to drink a lot. Personally, i'd go with the Lommel game 

Right now I'm guessing we'll be safe already by the time we play Lommel making it essentially a dead rubber. Taking into account the last few matches of the regular season it should be either Tubize or Lommel that get relegated, but Tubize is the big "favorite" for me. Both teams have small squads but Tubize has been playing with youngsters even due to a combination of injuries and low funds. (If OH Leuven had not bought their top scorer Tubize would still be under transfer ban for not paying their players!!!) Let's also not forget Tubize was relegated last season already, only to be saved by the bankruptcy of Lierse. They are the weakest link. Lommel also scored very few points in the second half of the season but they have the top scorer, a few decent players and a 4 point lead over Tubize. On the other hand, any team getting unlucky in the first few matches might suddenly find itself at the bottom of the table....

Problem with the Roeselare home game is that it's on Sunday evening :frusty: (= less people + Easter holiday), but that might be the one where we prolong the stay in 1B.

Tbh the most exciting home game might be the one against Tubize, early one, but win that and it's near done, also on a Friday evening, tends to be more fun.

In case the final game against Lommel does still matter for both teams... like it was a decider two seasons ago... well then it could be fun and we might actually also have some visiting supporters (whereas Roeselare will bring just a bus or two and those of Tubize you will even be able to count yourself :D)

Edited by Pelotas

18 hours ago, Pelotas said:

Right now I'm guessing we'll be safe already by the time we play Lommel making it essentially a dead rubber. Taking into account the last few matches of the regular season it should be either Tubize or Lommel that get relegated, but Tubize is the big "favorite" for me. Both teams have small squads but Tubize has been playing with youngsters even due to a combination of injuries and low funds. (If OH Leuven had not bought their top scorer Tubize would still be under transfer ban for not paying their players!!!) Let's also not forget Tubize was relegated last season already, only to be saved by the bankruptcy of Lierse. They are the weakest link. Lommel also scored very few points in the second half of the season but they have the top scorer, a few decent players and a 4 point lead over Tubize. On the other hand, any team getting unlucky in the first few matches might suddenly find itself at the bottom of the table....

Problem with the Roeselare home game is that it's on Sunday evening :frusty: (= less people + Easter holiday), but that might be the one where we prolong the stay in 1B.

Tbh the most exciting home game might be the one against Tubize, early one, but win that and it's near done, also on a Friday evening, tends to be more fun.

In case the final game against Lommel does still matter for both teams... like it was a decider two seasons ago... well then it could be fun and we might actually also have some visiting supporters (whereas Roeselare will bring just a bus or two and those of Tubize you will even be able to count yourself :D)

He can only chose between two games. And from those two games, i would pick the last game vs Lommel. Even if it's not important anymore for us, OHL does have a history with Lommel, and it might still be important to them (Lommel). And whatever the case, it's the final game of the season, i'm sure it will be more lively (from a fan's perspective) than the away game in Tubize.

10 hours ago, Permafrost said:

Yes, I've booked my travel for the Lommel game. When will the tickets go on sale? Thanks.

Don't know but this is the place to check: https://ohl.tickethour.be/l6142ww/homePage.html

Have you decided where you'll sit? Best view vs best atmosphere.

image.png.560225afd9f87706b46bc00c912da048.png

The places in sections 323-326 and 123-126 have the best view. But behind the goal (sections 40x) is where the party will be. As you can see, the stadion itself isn't huge by any means, and the "high" sections aren't really high either.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:31, Permafrost said:

Yes, I've booked my travel for the Lommel game. When will the tickets go on sale? Thanks.

Few hours ago they announced the playoff info and tickets are now for sale: there will be a "thankyou treat" for all sups during the game you're attending. Just fyi, they're also doing something special for the other two matches: after work party after match vs Tubize, kids (<18) for free vs Roeselare 

• Like 1

Ta. I actually came over to Leuven in October, but it was the weekend the games were postponed because of the match-fixing investigations.

I did go along to the ground however, and in fact I managed to just walk straight in at the corner where Trib 3 meets Trib 2.

It was a lovely sunny evening and there was nobody around. I took some great pics and videos and walked passed the dug-outs and up the tunnel to the glass doors. Unfortunately they were locked or I'd have gone in for a look round.

So, I didn't see a game, but still had a good time, and really enjoyed Leuven, the town and pubs.

This time I'm on a one week trip, with 2 nights in Leuven then taking in Mechelen, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Amsterdam  before heading back to Bruxelles.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Permafrost said:

The OHL ticketing website only accepts Belgian cards, so I'm going to have to buy on the day.

Hopefully it won't sell out?!

I would be very surprised if the game is sold out, since our stadium has a capacity of 10.020 seats

Due to the very poor results and football we only had about 4000 fans (on average) who showed up on game days. We had a slight increase when the new managers came in and the results were better, but the games were never sold out.

I saw you visited the stadium in October. The entrance you discribed (corner between stands 2 and 3) is actually the entrance for the away fans. If you want to sit among the OHL fans you need the entrance in the Kardinaal Mercierlaan. https://www.google.be/maps/@50.8669242,4.6955697,3a,75y,327.65h,69.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJXkhMRCfZ9rwvo0lfjCB7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

59 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Wonder if that Maertens would be good enough for Leicester one day? Only 23 and seems to score a few. 

Once again he was the best OHL player on the pitch (for me, the best player two years running... since he got here actually). He's a typical box to box player, i'm pretty sure he could play in our first division... but that's still not exactly PL level. His mentality is top notch, a real fighter, got three lungs as they say here. Likes to infiltrate, scores easily...  but it's not a "classy" player per se. He's intelligent, a hard worker, a fighter and his batteries don't run out. But probably not gifted enough to ever be a PL player. On the other hand... stranger things have happened. I'd take him over Kapustka any day of the week.

A 0-2 victory... but we got lucky about 10 times. First half we were a bit better, so the goal was deserved. But after the break, Lommel failed to score about a dozen times. And then we finished it on a counterattack. Good for us, but this wasn't our best game since the new managers took over.

• Thanks 1

Here's a question then, why has Kaputska been allowed to go away and play a relatively meaningless game for Poland u23's at the same time OHL have a relegation playoff game to play. Would he not have made team or even the bench? 

13 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Here's a question then, why has Kaputska been allowed to go away and play a relatively meaningless game for Poland u23's at the same time OHL have a relegation playoff game to play. Would he not have made team or even the bench? 

Surely the clubs don’t have control over who gets called up and can’t technically stop them going? Hence the suspicious numbers of PL Top 6 players dropping out of internationals with injury?

3 hours ago, nwl fox said:

Like Brucey said, I don't think clubs are allowed to stop players of going on international duty. I remember Belgium had some friendlies last season where we played Lukaku and De Bruyne for 90 minutes, even though Mourinho and Guardiola openly expressed their concerns about the health of their players. They even contacted Martinez asking him to only play them for 50 minutes, but at the end of the day, the clubs have no real say in this.

That being said, I'm 100% sure Kapustka would've at least made the bench tonight if he wasn't on international duty. He gets regular playing time under the new manager, sometimes as a starter, sometimes coming of the bench. But to be honest, we all expected more of him, as his season has been subpar.

Edited by Bonanza