Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

I'm hoping the new head of recruitment that comes in to Leicester does not overlook this link up because there is a lot of work to be done.

I still think buying Leuven was a shrewd bit of business from Khun Vichai and King Power. But if we are aiming to be a top 6 side qualifying for Europe, it's not feasible to be feeding players through the second tier of Belgian football. 

The progress has to be simultaneous and getting Leuven promoted to the Belgian premier league has to be one of the main priorities for Top.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lizhang said:

lol, ok.

So far, of all the players that came to Leuven through the Leicester connection (not just LFC youth players), only one has been "somewhat" of an added value. Sowah can count the minutes he's played on his ten fingers. Hirst can count his goals after an entire season on his three fingers. Kapustka can count his decent games on one hand. Moore has had one good season and has grown better deep into his second season (but was dire most of it). So, maybe start sending us some better players, because our level has been dreadful this year, mainly thanks to Pearson, Hirst, and Kapustka, who were supposedly sent over to raise our level, not sink it, lol. The team we were supposed to be battling for promotion this year, is now playing the final of our National Cup. Against Gent, a team that kicked Tottenham out of the EL two years ago.

So excuse me if I think you are underestimating the Belgian leagues or the quality of the football that is being played, and especially the potential to let players develop here. Obviously it depends on which player you would want to send out, and with what reason. A small technical player that is being bullied in the Championship, could very well thrive here. Meet Leandro Trossard, here in OHL shirt, played at OHL 3 years ago. Now being courted by Wolfsburg, Arsenal, Sevilla... You don't have to play in the best team in order to improve. He was still playing against the best teams in Belgium (even if we weren't one of them). We were a bottom team back then (we even relegated that same season). Guys like Benteke (Kortrijk), Dufour (KV Mechelen), Odoi (a homegrown OHL player btw), Mitrovic (Anderlecht), Batshuayi (Standard), De Bruyne, Courtois (Genk), Mertens (started as a kid at Leuven, moved to lower tier Belgian and Dutch teams before resurfacing in the Dutch second div), Lukaku, Tielemans, Dendoncker (all Anderlecht), Witsel, Fellaini (Standard), Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Dembélé, Naingolan (all grown at Beerschot (currently in our league) , before spreading out)... They all came from or passed through Belgian clubs, and not all of them played for the big Belgian CL or EL teams. Unless you think those players all suck, it's obvious our league isn't bad at all to develop talent, and they don't have to play for the top teams in order to do so.

But my conclusion after two years of co-dependancy, is that i would rather have as little as possible players sent to us from Leicester. Either they lack the quality, or they are miscast. Unless our (non-Pearson) manager is 100% convinced we're talking about a reinforcement and the player wants to come. If not, let's not bother. It's not helping Leicester, it's not helping the players, and it definitely isn't helping us. So, by all means, if you want to send them to your 3rd tier league because you think they're better off there, please do. Chances are we wouldn't have much use for them anyway, judging by what we've been sent our way so far.

---

In completely other news, our youth team is leading the league with 3 points, and one more game to play. It would be the 3rd or 4th time they top the league in the last 5 years in 2nd div.

You're in the relegation battle of the lowest pro league in Belgian for a good reason. You are not very good. You have never been very good as your history indicates. The Belgian 2nd division has never been a high quality league. The Belgian first division was always dominated by a couple of teams, that may have changed recently but your teams are not a high quality and your league is a minor league. After you get that into your skull then maybe you can see where I'm coming from.

You seem to think it's the job of LCFC to help you become a first division team and eventually become a relevant club. It isn't. Our team are not here to make you a good team - if that was why Vichai bought you then he is flouting international football rules. Any loans need to be mutually beneficial - so should only be offered kids who need developing. If they can't get into your team then so be it and to be honest if they can't they shouldn't be on our books. You talk about Sowah - he isn't really a Leicester player - look into the reason he was bought. Hirst - he isn't a Leicester player at all. Moore was your best player last season, he's your captain and tbh this year you have stunted his growth. Kapustka, failed at Leicester, Failed in Germany, so was given a last chance in the bottom of European football to see if he could resurect his career. Seemingly he hasn't. The Cabbage needs to be fed to the birds.

I love that in your mind your team are great and it's only because of Pearson that you have been unsuccessful. The truth is YOU have never been successful and turning such failure around will take time and money and patience.

The other thing you bang on about is all the great Belgian players coming from Belgian leagues. There are good players in all leagues. There are some great Belgian players but if you haven't noticed they all leave as quickly as possible. I'm glad your youth team is doing well. That in itself doesn't mean much. Hopefully you are training good players and you can hold onto them. If you can't does it really make any difference whether you finish top of the youth league or 4th? Does it really matter anyway? 

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

You can express an opposing opinion without resorting to being rude. Just saying

I wasn't being rude or personal and if it is seen as that I apologise immediately - as should you. I was speaking about Belgian football not any of their supporters. I think the supporters are great. I admire supporters who support their teams through thick and thin. There is nothing plastic about Lizhang or bonanza or any of the others who post here. 

I merely point out that our Football team doesn't owe Theirs anything. And that the Belgian second division is not a good place to be sending most of our players.

the "YOU" in the post is Leuven football team - 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, brucey said:

These people come on here and happily give us a detailed insight on OHL, our sister club who many of us are interested in following the fortunes of, info that can’t be found readily elsewhere.

We would all agree that OHL is not at a good level currently. But telling their fans that they are an irrelevant club is rude and uncalled for. Would you think it appropriate to say that to your mate if he supported his hometown club, a local non league team? (In a serious discussion as above and not in the context of banter)

I'm discussing and replying to comments about Leicester City players and the use of Leicester City football club to OH Leuven and vice versa. You are acting like a snowflake and making a problem where one didn't exist. Bonanza and Lizhang are quite grown up enough and intelligent to discuss these points with me - as they are doing. They are not crying wolf about some non-existent personal attack. If you disagree with my points regarding the loan of any of our players or if you want to defend the standard of the football that we've seen in the Belgian second division then make your point otherwise I really don't see what you are doing here other than trying to get me banned.

I've never said their club is irrelevant and for you to state that I have is just wrong. I've said and I maintain (as do they) that the only players worth sending to them are not players that they would be interested in having. 

As for the term "sister club" what does that even mean? The two clubs have the same owner, the clubs aren't related.

Love how we've got these polite, knowledgeable Leuven fans coming on here to tell us about their team and Belgian football, and they end up taking lectures about how their club isn't relevant and their league is a waste of time lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Guest said:

Love how we've got these polite, knowledgeable Leuven fans coming on here to tell us about their team and Belgian football, and they end up taking lectures about how their club isn't relevant and their league is a waste of time lol

111951575_4theMasochist.JPG.9a465b12761e96c1e3e7fe7df1ebe961.JPG

• Haha 2

Moore just played poorly the first half of the season and lost his confidence quickly, he just made too many errors he did not make last season. When they brought in Kotysch (from belgian first league Sint-Truiden) in January, his play got better again with having a leader next to him. The old Moore was back. I hope we can keep him, that way we're set in central defense. He remains a weapon on set pieces.

I agree with the other leuven supporters that we should only be sent leicester players on loan if they can give us something extra. For them, if they are not playing, it's not a good thing either because they can't progress. Then they're better off playing weekly in your U23 team.

• Like 2

So one thing I'm curious about - you've clearly performed far better without Pearson in charge - what has changed since he left in terms of personnel and tactics, and what in your (collective at any of the Leuven fans that come here) opinion needs to be strengthened in order to hopefully compete for promotion next season?

Edited by The_Rorab

11 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

So one thing I'm curious about - you've clearly performed far better without Pearson in charge - what has changed since he left in terms of personnel and tactics, and what in your (collective at any of the Leuven fans that come here) opinion needs to be strengthened in order to hopefully compete for promotion next season?

Yes what do OH fans  think Pearson did wrong

1 hour ago, Lizhang said:

Unlike some other people here, i don't consider this post to be rude. Just clueless and frankly a bit laughable.

Let me tell you once more, (and this is not a reproach, just a fact) you don't know OHL, and looking at a wikipedia page about which league we played in in the past, will not change that. So, i thank you kindly for the lecture, but it's really not needed.

I don't think it's Leicester's job to make us better or get us into 1st div. You probably didn't read my post very well (or misjudged my attempt at cynicism), i clearly said i would be in favor of as little as possible interference. After two years of King Power and a lot of Leicester influences, i think it's clear not just you, but King Power, our English (Leicester-tied) board... don't know the first thing about OHL, about our league or about or Belgian football. However, when King Power decide to further infuse OHL with some of that Leicester goodness, i do expect those "reinforcements" to be actual reinforcements. Pearson wasn't. Hirst wasn't (he may not have been a Leicester player, but he came through Pearson with the idea to move up to Leicester later on), Kapustka wasn't, Sowah wasn't. Moore... was in his first season. The problem is, that even though Pearson, Hirst, Kapustka... were ranging from bad to abysmal, that there were no alternatives because their was no way around them. Hirst was brought in by Pearson, to be our main striker. Kapustka was brought in to replace Storm. An influential creative player for the starting XI. Pearson himself was brought in by Vichai himself to replace Van Wijk (who in turn isn't even a great coach, but he was sacked for no reason, and under pearson it all went downhill).

Yet i can't help but detect some smugness in your post, an eagerness to point out how unimpressive we are. No problem. I know the history of the club a little bit better than you, and i have explained the history of our club in past (long) posts. How things came to be, and why i actually do think OHL intrinsically deserves to be a 1st div club. But i know this unfortunately doesn't show in the wikipediapage you consulted. However, you seem to be misunderstanding what i'm saying. We are both tied by faith. Leicester didn't buy OHL. King Power bought OHL, just like King Power bought Leicester. I've noticed some confusion among a few Leicester posters here, regarding the matter. So, no, i don't think it's Leicesters job to get us promoted. But it's also not OHL's job to harbor Leicester rejects that aren't even fit to play in our lowly league, which is as you so clearly stated "a minor league". Because however bad or unimpressive you may find us, Pearson, Kapustka, Hirst... still managed to drag us further down.

No amount of beating around the bush regarding Hirst, Sowah, Pearson... who supposedly weren't "Leicester", they were all brought in by the English advisors of Vichai and English board members of OHL... who in turn all have ties to Leicester. So, to be very clear, all i'm asking, is that IF there absolutely MUST be interference from Leicester, to please please please don't send us players and managers that are so bad, that they actually manage to drag us further down. I don't need to tell you, since you're the expert on how bad we are and how bad our league is, that we really can do without such "reinforcements". It's simply cruel, kicking a man when he's down. Here we (OHL) are, unimpressive, bad, hardly worth a shit, yet somehow they managed to send us reinforcements that are even worse. That's just mean.

"We" stunted Moore's growth. Oh boy, if anyone stunted his growth, it was Pearson (who i consider to be more "you" than "us"). He's steadily improved under the new managers.

I did also notice that the best players leave our league as quickly as possible, like you said. That is a keen assessment you made there. Let me think about that one.... Let me stroke my long beard and ponder for a second. Hmm. Well, maybe, is it possible, that foreign clubs, from big leagues have more money? What do you think? I think we might just have solved one of the biggest football mysteries of the past decades! And, could it also mean, like i stated, that our uneventful and minor league, might actually be good to grow young talents? What do you think? You are aware that the national team that beat England twice at the WC, was filled with players that all started in Belgian teams (though some went abroad during the later stages of their youth development)? But again, yes, our league has historically been dominated by a handfull of clubs. I mean, as opposed to England obviously, where the top 6 are different teams every year. Obviously.

Looking forward to more insightful posts.

McLeuven 

5 hours ago, Bonanza said:

Results and standing after the 6th and final round:

OH Leuven - Lommel  1-0

Roeselare - Tubize  4-0

1. OH Leuven  28 pts

2. Roeselare  25 pts

3. Lommel  23 pts

4. Tubize  17 pts 

We're top of the league, we're top of .... oh :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lizhang said:

Unlike some other people here, i don't consider this post to be rude. Just clueless and frankly a bit laughable.

Let me tell you once more, (and this is not a reproach, just a fact) you don't know OHL, and looking at a wikipedia page about which league we played in in the past, will not change that. So, i thank you kindly for the lecture, but it's really not needed.

I don't think it's Leicester's job to make us better or get us into 1st div. You probably didn't read my post very well (or misjudged my attempt at cynicism), i clearly said i would be in favor of as little as possible interference. After two years of King Power and a lot of Leicester influences, i think it's clear not just you, but King Power, our English (Leicester-tied) board... don't know the first thing about OHL, about our league or about or Belgian football. However, when King Power decide to further infuse OHL with some of that Leicester goodness, i do expect those "reinforcements" to be actual reinforcements. Pearson wasn't. Hirst wasn't (he may not have been a Leicester player, but he came through Pearson with the idea to move up to Leicester later on), Kapustka wasn't, Sowah wasn't. Moore... was in his first season. The problem is, that even though Pearson, Hirst, Kapustka... were ranging from bad to abysmal, that there were no alternatives because their was no way around them. Hirst was brought in by Pearson, to be our main striker. Kapustka was brought in to replace Storm. An influential creative player for the starting XI. Pearson himself was brought in by Vichai himself to replace Van Wijk (who in turn isn't even a great coach, but he was sacked for no reason, and under pearson it all went downhill).

Yet i can't help but detect some smugness in your post, an eagerness to point out how unimpressive we are. No problem. I know the history of the club a little bit better than you, and i have explained the history of our club in past (long) posts. How things came to be, and why i actually do think OHL intrinsically deserves to be a 1st div club. But i know this unfortunately doesn't show in the wikipediapage you consulted. However, you seem to be misunderstanding what i'm saying. We are both tied by faith. Leicester didn't buy OHL. King Power bought OHL, just like King Power bought Leicester. I've noticed some confusion among a few Leicester posters here, regarding the matter. So, no, i don't think it's Leicesters job to get us promoted. But it's also not OHL's job to harbor Leicester rejects that aren't even fit to play in our lowly league, which is as you so clearly stated "a minor league". Because however bad or unimpressive you may find us, Pearson, Kapustka, Hirst... still managed to drag us further down.

No amount of beating around the bush regarding Hirst, Sowah, Pearson... who supposedly weren't "Leicester", they were all brought in by the English advisors of Vichai and English board members of OHL... who in turn all have ties to Leicester. So, to be very clear, all i'm asking, is that IF there absolutely MUST be interference from Leicester, to please please please don't send us players and managers that are so bad, that they actually manage to drag us further down. I don't need to tell you, since you're the expert on how bad we are and how bad our league is, that we really can do without such "reinforcements". It's simply cruel, kicking a man when he's down. Here we (OHL) are, unimpressive, bad, hardly worth a shit, yet somehow they managed to send us reinforcements that are even worse. That's just mean.

"We" stunted Moore's growth. Oh boy, if anyone stunted his growth, it was Pearson (who i consider to be more "you" than "us"). He's steadily improved under the new managers.

I did also notice that the best players leave our league as quickly as possible, like you said. That is a keen assessment you made there. Let me think about that one.... Let me stroke my long beard and ponder for a second. Hmm. Well, maybe, is it possible, that foreign clubs, from big leagues have more money? What do you think? I think we might just have solved one of the biggest football mysteries of the past decades! And, could it also mean, like i stated, that our uneventful and minor league, might actually be good to grow young talents? What do you think? You are aware that the national team that beat England twice at the WC, was filled with players that all started in Belgian teams (though some went abroad during the later stages of their youth development)? But again, yes, our league has historically been dominated by a handfull of clubs. I mean, as opposed to England obviously, where the top 6 are different teams every year. Obviously.

Looking forward to more insightful posts.

Thanks @Lizhang, this post did make me chuckle! Very well put.

I think you're spot on with us sending you the wrong sorts of players. In the future yes, we may work better as feeder clubs for one another, but for now sending young players like Kapustka and Hirst (not that we sent him, but you know what I mean) who still need development is not the answer. You need players that can hit the ground running.

In the future if we do send you such players it should be players like* Iversen, Choudhury or Barnes - experienced players who at the start of the season are on the fringes of our first team.

*obviously not the latter two now as they are important members of the first team squad.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Your badge is on Thai flags around the ground, not sure if you knew?

Didn't know that. Does anyone have a picture of these flags?

We have this fanmade one and I know we have some Thai flags in our stadium, but I can't remember if we have any other references to Leicester City around our grounds. 

44944739_2060961657280875_55373771414584

Edited by Bonanza
  • Like 1