Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

1 hour ago, 49er said:

A friend of mine is an Oxford season ticket holder. They really rate Appleton, and like the way that his teams like to pass the ball around and play attractive football.

I'm not sure about this. Does it represent our ambitions for the forthcoming season - mid table mediocrity a la West Brom, Stoke? If we had a higher profile manager than Shakey, we would have probably attracted a better coaching staff. Hope I'm wrong, but the fact that Shakey worked with him at WBA shouldn't be an important criterion in his appointment. Hope I'm wrong, but doesn't bode well. No doubt Wellens and Kermogant will be joining as well!

What you're failing to consider though is, Shakespeare was our coaching staff that produced the best spell in the history of our football club. In terms of coaching players, he has helped turn these journeymen and scruffs in to Ballon D'or nominees. He's still here just with more responsibility and he's bringing in people to work with him who will hopefully allow him to be a success.

Really surprised by some of the negative reactions in this thread. If you take some time to do a bit of research on him rather than simply looking at the numbers you'll quickly realise that he is well regarded amongst his peers and largely deemed to be a very talented up and coming coach. 

There's many posters on this forum who rate Nigel Pearson as a top manager, some of which believe he's the best manager that Leicester have ever had, yet if you take his spells at Leicester out of the equation his track record isn't too dissimilar to Appleton's as manager. Arguably the reason why Nigel Pearson was so successful at Leicester compared to the other clubs that he has managed is because he was given time to implement his thoughts and ideas in-order to build a successful team. The same could be said of Appleton, as the one job where he's been given time in the role he's been a great success. He comes with a good pedigree having worked under many experienced coaches and I can see him bringing a no nonsense disciplined approach to the dressing room which I think will complement Shakespeare's 'arm around the shoulder' character.

Time will tell and I might be completely wrong, but I genuinely think we'll be looking back in years to come reflecting on what a shrewd bit of business his appointment was for the club.

23 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Really surprised by some of the negative reactions in this thread. If you take some time to do a bit of research on him rather than simply looking at the numbers you'll quickly realise that he is well regarded amongst his peers and largely deemed to be a very talented up and coming coach. 

There's many posters on this forum who rate Nigel Pearson as a top manager, some of which believe he's the best manager that Leicester have ever had, yet if you take his spells at Leicester out of the equation his track record isn't too dissimilar to Appleton's as manager. Arguably the reason why Nigel Pearson was so successful at Leicester compared to the other clubs that he has managed is because he was given time to implement his thoughts and ideas in-order to build a successful team. The same could be said of Appleton, as the one job where he's been given time in the role he's been a great success. He comes with a good pedigree having worked under many experienced coaches and I can see him bringing a no nonsense disciplined approach to the dressing room which I think will complement Shakespeare's 'arm around the shoulder' character.

Time will tell and I might be completely wrong, but I genuinely think we'll be looking back in years to come reflecting on what a shrewd bit of business his appointment was for the club.

Totally agree, great post

:D

28 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Arguably the reason why Nigel Pearson was so successful at Leicester compared to the other clubs that he has managed is because he was given time to implement his thoughts and ideas in-order to build a successful team. The same could be said of Appleton, as the one job where he's been given time in the role he's been a great success.

Apart from one season in League One, most of Pearson's success has come in the Championship and Premier League. The same cannot be said for Appleton. 

29 minutes ago, 49er said:

Taylor v2!

Not at all, Taylor was an absolute flop at League 1. Couldn't win a raffle at Southend. Appleton has a much better record. 

Besides, he's coming as an Assistant, not the Manager. 

About twelve months ago I spoke to an Oxford fan who was thoroughly hopefully of getting back to the Championship under Appleton. It took some initial time to get the team to play to his style but then it started to click. Hasn't spent money galore either - so it's genuine coaching what's improved Oxford 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Hasn't spent money galore either - so it's genuine coaching what's improved Oxford 

I would imagine that the same could also be said of the likes of Karl Robinson and Nigel Clough

Just now, 49er said:

I would imagine that the same could also be said of the likes of Karl Robinson and Nigel Clough

Yeah hard to disagree. Both have done excellent jobs in their time. Bit of a bonus to have that in an assistant manager who will spend a lot of time on the training ground

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah hard to disagree. Both have done excellent jobs in their time. Bit of a bonus to have that in an assistant manager who will spend a lot of time on the training ground

To be honest, I have no idea how good or bad he will be. I obviously hope that he plays a key role in us winning the Premier League and the Champions League.

9 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Few Oxford fans seem to think Marvin Johnson who plays for them will follow him here as well, not too sure about that one

Seen at least 5 people say this with a hint of bitterness, I don't get it either. Unless he's coming for the development squad, think he's 20?

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Seen at least 5 people say this with a hint of bitterness, I don't get it either. Unless he's coming for the development squad, think he's 20?

I think the 20 year old is another one of their players, Ryan Ledson, who's been doing pretty well with the England U20's

Archived