Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

18 hours ago, Walkers said:

Bloody hell who were you expecting if this is uninspired!?

Appleton struggled at Pompey agreed not his fault, Blackpool wasn't much better not sure of the full story there.

He's done fine at Qxford I agree.

Black. Lee, Walsh, Tindall, Kidd, Clotet but like I said If Shakespeares happy, let's hope it works out   :thumbup:

Ps: He's his buddy from WBA............. Is he going to push us forward ?

3 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

Wasn't sure about this guy. Didn't start well as a manager but has done better at Oxford....then I saw this picture. People are gonna listen when he holds a training session.

He will certainly fill the hole Wasyl has left!

1 hour ago, Chico1958 said:

Appleton struggled at Pompey agreed not his fault, Blackpool wasn't much better not sure of the full story there.

He's done fine at Qxford I agree.

Black. Lee, Walsh, Tindall, Kidd, Clotet but like I said If Shakespeares happy, let's hope it works out   :thumbup:

Ps: He's his buddy from WBA............. Is he going to push us forward ?

Possibly a better coach than actual manager 

oxford he has moulded and coached them 

I think he would be fantastic 

If Appleton signs this would be a great addition to the coaching/management team. It's reported on Radio Oxford he is having talks with the chairman, Darren Eales. My guess he is seriously tempted but would be unsure about being a number 2. It was his contact with Shakespeare that led to City as PL champions playing a pre-season friendly at Oxford.

He's taken Oxford from 13th in League 2 to the edge of the play-offs in League 1, playing a passing style of football (sometimes frustratingly so as could be more direct). Over the time he has been in charge, young talent (often loans) have improved considerably. I think he's a better coach than manager who could work very well with CS and just the sort of person needed.

Agree with others that he is an excellent coach so would be good addition. The fact CS is a mate will help because,with the start, they could be under pressure quite quickly and CS still has not got a lot of experience as head coach/manager .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/17/michael-appleton-sir-alex-ferguson-rollocking-shaped-career/

Interesting article and impressive that he had the guts to ask and was respected enough to get a response from SAF. Not sure how much this Ferguson guy knows about man management and seem to remember he was one of those happy to put his neck on the block and tell anyone who would listen that we would win the league and more interestingly when SAF was singing our praises nobody seemed to mock him. 

FOXES’ APPLETON OFFER

Leicester have offered Oxford manager Michael Appleton £500,000-a-year to become assistant to Craig Shakespeare at the King Power.

According to the Daily Mirror, Appleton is unsettled at the Kassam Stadium due to budget cuts but Oxford want him to stay.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

8 hours ago, katieakita said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/17/michael-appleton-sir-alex-ferguson-rollocking-shaped-career/

Interesting article and impressive that he had the guts to ask and was respected enough to get a response from SAF. Not sure how much this Ferguson guy knows about man management and seem to remember he was one of those happy to put his neck on the block and tell anyone who would listen that we would win the league and more interestingly when SAF was singing our praises nobody seemed to mock him. 

That's a very interesting article but makes you wonder,  after all that's happened,  why on earth he'd want to come here as a number 2? If anything he's  more qualified to do the job than Shakespeare. Wouldn't he find it frustrating? Money to spend at Oxford and wages are perhaps obvious attractions but probably a better now job would be a better goal for him because if we are successful again, it's the no1 that gets the credit.

What's the average wage for a manger in league 1? I'd guess a few thousand a week maybe £5k at the most he could potentially earn double that here, if he was a very ambitious manager I doubt he'd come but almost everybody would move for double the pay and less stress.

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

That's a very interesting article but makes you wonder,  after all that's happened,  why on earth he'd want to come here as a number 2? If anything he's  more qualified to do the job than Shakespeare. Wouldn't he find it frustrating? Money to spend at Oxford and wages are perhaps obvious attractions but probably a better now job would be a better goal for him because if we are successful again, it's the no1 that gets the credit.

I know what you mean, and I think this deal is far from done. The only thing I would add is, how does a young ambitious English coach get a chance to pit his wits against the Guardiola's, Mourinho's and Conte's if you turn down an opportunity like this?

Appleton is a very highly rated coach, but how likely is it that he would be given the chance to manage a a Premier League team with top 10, top 6 aspirations?

29 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I know what you mean, and I think this deal is far from done. The only thing I would add is, how does a young ambitious English coach get a chance to pit his wits against the Guardiola's, Mourinho's and Conte's if you turn down an opportunity like this?

Appleton is a very highly rated coach, but how likely is it that he would be given the chance to manage a a Premier League team with top 10, top 6 aspirations?

Very true. In comments I've made on here I personally have questioned whether Shakespeare is the right man to take us forward. Then on the other hand I also admit to being one of those that bemoan the fact that English managers don't get a chance, so a bit hypocritical really.  Not just for Leicester City but I really hope Shakespeare can put a few noses out of joint and why shouldn't he. If he comes I think Appleton sounds like a great step in the right direction.  If he doesn't then the best of luck to him. We've had many a mediocre foreign manager in this country. 

19 hours ago, deep blue said:

Just speculating here, but presumably Shakey has worked with Appleton before, rates him, gets on with him, and trusts him. That's important in the relationship between a manager and his number 2. 

Think back to O'Neill. John Robertson didn't come over as a striking character for his number 2, but I remember it being said that O'Neill used him as his sounding board;  they always looked to be in close consultation, seemed to have complete trust between them. That didn't work out too badly.

Another thing, several on here were concerned that Shakey might be a bit too matey with the players for his new role to work. I hoped that he might get in a second-in-command who would play the bad guy. Appleton looks a bit severe, so maybe that's how he'll act, and they will complement each other well.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Great post. I hope the appointment goes ahead since this would give me a lot more confidence in our new manager - seeking out someone who could conceivably seen as an equal and someone who could help with a potential problem Shakey may face is very promising.

Pie in the sky dreaming here but if Shakey was really successful at Leicester, like massively who is to say a bigger club wouldn't come in, an if he wasn't successful but Appleton makes a good impression behind the scenes who's to say he couldn't get promoted to no1. No 2 at PL trump's a no 1 at L1, championship however is different better to be a no1 at Championship than no2 at PL.

Further to my previous post, it's reported locally he is thinking over the weekend whether to accept. I think he will accept the offer - there is no indication from Oxford close season signings (or rumoured) that next season would see a strengthened Oxford squad. This is frustrating for him. The chairman has (over several weeks in discussion) has ended take-over talks which would have resulted in more funds to buy in new players - and probably the fourth stand which has never been built.. There is no reason to suggest he is not ambitious, so the option for him is "do I stay at Oxford hoping I do well enough to get a Championship club offer or double my salary and accept a number 2 at a PL club". 

If we do well in the next season or so, he would be in a position to manage at a higher level than League 1. If not, he would still have a good chance of another manager job at a lower level. 

I think it would be very hard to find a better assistant manager...

Archived