Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

I have always thought he was a very underestimated manager been at some troubled clubs with dodgy owners been to a few oxford games with some yellows work mates and they are a very good outfit under him he's done a great job best manager by far they have had for a while my mates are gutted that he might be leaving and thought he was taking them back to possibly championship or more great coup for us though in my opinion 

Interesting comment off the Oxford forum

There's a lot of strong opinion and emotion running across this thread and like all fans I'm extremely worried about any suggestion that Michael Appleton may be about to leave the club. But at this point let's not start pointing fingers or making wild assumptions. But comments about the validity of the Mirror article I can share some thoughts on not only as a journalist but also as someone who's worked closely with our football club during my time at OxVox. 

Any suggestion that the updated Mirror article is rubbish I can tell you is very foolish. Any journalist with a grasp on sports journalism will tell you that a national paper would not go into this level of detail for a League 1 manager becoming a number 2 to Leicester unless they had been fed extensive detail. The level of detail about Darryl coming back from holiday, budgets, key staff leaving has not come from reading an internet forum as someone comically suggested. It has been leaked to the journalist either by Appleton's agent or Appleton himself. A national paper simply doesn't have the time or the inclination to go into that level of detail on a story that's not big news across the country unless he has a direct source. 

Let's also look at the timeline of things so we can understand where we are likely to be at right now. Here's the timeline as I see it:

1) Towards the end of last season (April) Appleton spoke very openly on radio and in the press about wanting to know his budget and wanting to see it go up. This came at a time most managers already have been given an indication of their budget for the following season.

2) Then came the rumours of the Satori takeover bid. It is completely inconceivable to me that Satori didn't have contact with Appleton during this process. When the Oxford Mail and BBC Oxford run soundbites saying "It's our understanding that Satori wants to keep Appleton as manager" coupled with the fact it's been revealed that the deal was in due diligence (meaning it was 1-2 weeks from completion) it's frankly ludicrous to suggest he didn't have some form of contact with Appleton. That being the case and based upon the quotes Satori made in the press Appleton would have been told that he was to stay a manager with a promotion winning budget.

3) Literally days after the deal collapsed Appleton then came out in Oxford Mail and stated he didn't have a top 6 recruitment budget. 

4) Then a couple of days after that a very detailed report appear in the Mirror about him taking a number 2 job to work with one of his closest friends and details the off the field changes at Oxford, takeover breakdown and budget concerns. 

So it again is inconceivable to me that there isn't truth to this whole situation and the club's refusal to comment also backs this up. It's clear either Appleton or someone close to him has given very detailed reasons to the Mirror about his current frustrations and why he'd be willing to take the Leicester number 2 job. For the record Appleton has been very open that he left a similar job at West Brom as he wanted to be a manager and that is indeed the reason he has twice rejected heading up Man Utd's academy since he's been at Oxford. So some very real issues must have forced him to consider changing his stance on this.

What really concerns me at present is people not taking a step back and seeing some very concerning issues. As i've said time and time again we have 3 of the 4 key management positions become vacant at the club in recent months (Academy boss, head of commercial, MD) and the fourth post being the manager and now that too could become vacant. This would set alarm bells ringing at any other club. 

Add this to the fact that FIVE/SIX first team starters at the end of last season have either left or currently haven't re-signed: Dunkley, Skarz, Maguire, Edwards, McAleny, Sercombe. So in order for us to progress we don't just need to bring in better than what we had we have actually got to replace a number of key players that were in our team at the end of the season. It's a huge recruitment challenge for Appleton let alone anyone coming in to replace him as manager. The facts are we may be about to face a complete full house of the key management positions becoming vacant at the club within weeks/months of each other, half our first team starters have either left or not committed to next season (and have clearly indicated they won't without Appleton being here) and we still have to not only replace them but bring in additional players to make the squad even stronger. As I said if this happened at any other club people would be worried or asking serious questions. As fans we can't just bury our heads in the sand and not accept that something isn't right at present.

20 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Sounds like he favours an attacking, intense pressing style...which sounds perfect for our philosophy. 

His aura would appear to contrast well with Shakey's too. He can be the bad cop, as it were.

Where do you get this information from? 

Im not being being aggressive, I'm interested to know.

In response to above post(s), Oxford's style has not been an attacking, intense style. In some ways far the opposite...Oxford have tended to play a passing game from the back, often struggling to score goals with few goalscorers, at least until McAleny joined on loan from Everton. Their style of play is better suited to teams who play a similar game - often struggle against teams who have a strong physical presence.

I note a potential signing from Partick Thistle has today turned down the chance to join Oxford - quoting uncertainty over managerial situation. I think/hope Appleton will sign early next week...

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Where do you get this information from? 

Im not being being aggressive, I'm interested to know.

Can't for the life of me find it, but someone in this thread posted a link to an article about Fergie giving him a rollicking when he asked for advice...think it was mentioned in there in relation to how they played in the Cup this year.

Never suggested I know anything about Oxford other than what has been reported in the media and highlights from the Cup.

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

In response to above post(s), Oxford's style has not been an attacking, intense style. In some ways far the opposite...Oxford have tended to play a passing game from the back, often struggling to score goals with few goalscorers, at least until McAleny joined on loan from Everton. Their style of play is better suited to teams who play a similar game - often struggle against teams who have a strong physical presence.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong then. Like I said, just going off what I read, and my opinions as a result :)

On 15/06/2017 at 21:58, Tuna said:

Derek Fazackerly is Appleton's assistant at Oxford.

I wonder, IF Appleton decides to come (still a bit of an 'if'), whether DF will come back with him as First Team Coach.  Of course he was Assistant Manager / Coach with us in 2010/11, when Sven was in charge.  Discussions on his appointment might also be holding up an announcement about Appleton, as Oxford try and keep both of them ?

Appleton has always come across as, at the absolute minimum, a good coach. I think, with Shakespeare stepping up into the management role more, having a very steady pair of coaching hands like Appleton working with the first team guys is good shout, not least because he has managerial experience himself. He's done very well at Oxford too.

I like this idea and would see it as another positive step Shakespeare has taken to rejuvenate the squad and backroom staff a bit.

30 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

You know what normally happens after JP has spoken

Oxford are in a bit of a mess and there are worse bets than the 20/1 on them being relegated

Was thinking that their relegation would be a decent bet following the post quoted from their board further up the page.

On 2017-6-17 at 12:11, Beachyboy said:

Pie in the sky dreaming here but if Shakey was really successful at Leicester, like massively who is to say a bigger club wouldn't come in, an if he wasn't successful but Appleton makes a good impression behind the scenes who's to say he couldn't get promoted to no1. No 2 at PL trump's a no 1 at L1, championship however is different better to be a no1 at Championship than no2 at PL.

I must admit the thought did pop into my head that Shakey could be approached for the England job if he has a really good season and Southgate massively blows the world cup.

Appleton will be well placed to have a crack at the job in that scenario.

Bad idea all round. If it happens we are probably looking at the new era of darkness.

Seems to me Appleton was probably one of the potential managers they looked at. If he joins, I am sure the intention is that he will at some point, sooner or later, take over from Shakes. Could turn septic very fast. Either way, we are looking at an English management future and we all know what that means.

7 minutes ago, somebum said:

Bad idea all round. If it happens we are probably looking at the new era of darkness.

Seems to me Appleton was probably one of the potential managers they looked at. If he joins, I am sure the intention is that he will at some point, sooner or later, take over from Shakes. Could turn septic very fast. Either way, we are looking at an English management future and we all know what that means.

For that too happen Shakespeare will have too have done very well ! 

Poached by Real/Barca  

Lcfc boot room promoting from within? ( we've done it loads ? Once lol) 

or he's seen what a mess oxfords in ?

weve taken advantage...!

You do surprise me.

Sent from my Lenovo A1010a20 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, somebum said:

Not like you to be negative. Surprised...

A new era of darkness lol

We've had Ryan McGivern at CB and Iain Hume as our goal threat. As Bane said "I was born in the darkness"

Amazing. New era of darkness. Love it. You're more pessimistic than I was. Please post more.

The only way is up with this scenario, really.

Shakespeare obviously has the knowledge of the club - particularly during the title-winning season - whilst Appleton has experience in first-team affairs too at different clubs.

Appleton also comes across as 'seeing as it is' and feet on the floor style in terms of management.

3 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

I must admit the thought did pop into my head that Shakey could be approached for the England job if he has a really good season and Southgate massively blows the world cup.

Appleton will be well placed to have a crack at the job in that scenario.

Unlikely that Shakey will be England manager in the near future. However, if that were the case I wouldn't want Appleton as first team manager. He's been a serial failure at most of the clubs he's been at and probably found his level at Oxford. Hope I would be proved wrong but we should be aiming higher for a manager if the scenario you portray happened.

4 hours ago, somebum said:

What a load of rubbish.

Imho, theres about as much chance of Appleton managing the club as David Walliams.  It took Shakey God knows how many years of top involvement AND a successful period as caretaker - and even then it didn't seem to  be straightforward - before he was given a shot at it! MA willl be an excellent No.2  if he comes. Enjoy that. Almost certainly, that's all it will ever be. 

15 hours ago, somebum said:

File under guffwaffle.

Archived