Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

1 hour ago, KFS said:

The agency that represent Appleton also look after Sven, Derek Fazackerly, Bruno Berner, Chris Powell, Ritchie Wellens, Darius Vassell, Matt Oakley and Steve Howard...

Sven to come in as DoF, Bruno and Chris P as coaches :ph34r:

If he comes here and it doesn't work out... I'm blaming Wellens! 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4609392/Shakespeare-keen-bring-Michael-Appleton-Leicester.html

Craig Shakespeare has made a bold bid to appoint Michael Appleton as his No 2 at Leicester City.

The new Leicester manager is looking to bolster his coaching staff and would like to bring the Oxford United manager to the King Power Stadium.

Now Shakespeare is the number 1, he needs someone he can trust implicitly as his number 2. Whilst I still imagine he will be on the training pitch a lot, he won't be able to do it every day now that he is the manager. If he can trust Appleton in this way, then it's a good appointment.

I do hope we see more of the LCFC guard in coaching positions in the future. I imagine that Wes will have been told he will play less games this season, but that he will have a place in the coaching setup in the future. The same could also apply to Huth too.

This is Shakey bringing in somebody he trusts and is a good move in my view. Regardless of Appleton's chequered career overall he has done a great job with Oxford recently.

I'm pleased to see the club making decisions in getting Harry Maguire, and I'm pleased Shakey has made a big decision as he bids to make his mark on the place as number 1.

Very positive indeed. 

I surely can't be the only one questioning why he'd walk away from a managerial job he's seemingly doing very well in to be a number two, albeit two divisions higher?

I'm not against the move, just surprised.

15 minutes ago, sk3since03 said:

In Shakey we trust. 

Would he leave a managerial position that he's seemingly doing quite well in though! 

I can see several reasons. 

a Limited backing and potential at Oxford. 

b) Exciting challenge at Leicester, fully backed both personally and professionally.

c) Faster potential for noteworthy success. 

d) Experience advancement - Leicester is a significant enterprise on and off the field.   

e) Chance to play an important part in what's so far been a incredible international adventure.

12 hours ago, Tuna said:

Mates with Shakey from West Brom days under Bryan Robson, helped arrange the friendly last summer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36377938

Oxford United boss Michael Appleton says 'friends in high places' helped secure a pre-season friendly against Premier League champions Leicester.

Appleton, who used to work with Foxes assistant coach Craig Shakespeare at West Brom, is looking forward to hosting Claudio Ranieri's side.

"It might end up being the only game they play in England before the season starts," he told BBC Radio Oxford.

Oxford, promoted to League One this month, will face Leicester on 19 July.

Appleton and Shakespeare were part of England manager Roy Hodgson's backroom team during their time together at the Hawthorns.

"It's incredible how this game has come about," Appleton said. "It helps having a few friends who work at Premier League clubs and Craig and I were chatting a couple of months before the end of the season.

"The fact Leicester have obviously gone on to win the title since makes the occasion even more mouthwatering."

Leicester's pre-season schedule currently sees them facing Barcelona, Celtic and Paris St-Germain overseas in the International Champions Cup.

The game against Oxford will be their first visit to the Kassam Stadium since 2010 and is currently their only confirmed domestic pre-season fixture.

"For that to be the case with the likes of Jamie Vardy coming to play at our ground will be a fantastic occasion," Appleton added.

Yep. This seems to be the connection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Appleton#West_Bromwich_Albion_2

"Appleton, who played his last first-team game of football on 7 November 2003, made a total of 38 appearances for West Bromwich Albion. [...]

After the knee injury, Appleton stayed with the Baggies in a coaching capacity. He worked in the youth side of West Bromwich Albion over five years. He worked with different age groups until moving up to the senior squad as assistant manager. In June 2009, Appleton was appointed first-team coach. After the board sacked Di Matteo on 6 February 2011, Appleton was placed in temporary charge of first-team affairs. On 11 February 2011, Roy Hodgson was made manager of West Brom, and Appleton remained as assistant."

So he was coaching at WBA 2003-2011....and Shakespeare was coaching there 1999-2008: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Shakespeare

So Shakey obviously worked with him for a number of years....

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

I can see several reasons. 

a Limited backing and potential at Oxford. 

b) Exciting challenge at Leicester, fully backed both personally and professionally.

c) Faster potential for noteworthy success. 

d) Experience advancement - Leicester is a significant enterprise on and off the field.   

e) Chance to play an important part in what's so far been a incredible international adventure.

Fair points, i agree ! 

Oxford fan here - after a settled few years there is now instability at boardroom level, fans are not sure whether our owner (who has been brilliant) is selling up or not, and this may be influencing his decision. He is a fantastic manager, has really turned things around in a fairly short space of time. Would be gutted to see him go.

6 hours ago, KFS said:

The agency that represent Appleton also look after Sven, Derek Fazackerly, Bruno Berner, Chris Powell, Ritchie Wellens, Darius Vassell, Matt Oakley and Steve Howard...

Sven to come in as DoF, Bruno and Chris P as coaches :ph34r:

Rudkin is an idiot but Sven, come on.

3 minutes ago, gcxttle said:

Rudkin is an idiot but Sven, come on.

It was tongue in cheek, but you cannot tell me that Sven has less pedigree and football contacts than Jon fvcking Rudkin.

Swansea City FC phone rings:

"Hi its Jon Rudkin, looking to enquire about Sigurdsson"

"Sven calling from Leicester City, we're interested in your player"

Hmm.

4 hours ago, cheshamfox17 said:

Would be great to bring in, clearly got something about him, is well respected and has done a good job at Oxford.

Also there is no way anyone is messing with him either, he looks like he could handle himself

om08Appleinside2_v01.jpg.gallery.jpg

Wasn't sure about this guy. Didn't start well as a manager but has done better at Oxford....then I saw this picture. People are gonna listen when he holds a training session.

1 hour ago, KFS said:

It was tongue in cheek, but you cannot tell me that Sven has less pedigree and football contacts than Jon fvcking Rudkin.

Swansea City FC phone rings:

"Hi its Jon Rudkin, looking to enquire about Sigurdsson"

"Sven calling from Leicester City, we're interested in your player"

Hmm.

Don't have to be a well known person to be a good directer of football. How many premier league directors of football can you name of the top of your head?

Just speculating here, but presumably Shakey has worked with Appleton before, rates him, gets on with him, and trusts him. That's important in the relationship between a manager and his number 2. 

Think back to O'Neill. John Robertson didn't come over as a striking character for his number 2, but I remember it being said that O'Neill used him as his sounding board;  they always looked to be in close consultation, seemed to have complete trust between them. That didn't work out too badly.

Another thing, several on here were concerned that Shakey might be a bit too matey with the players for his new role to work. I hoped that he might get in a second-in-command who would play the bad guy. Appleton looks a bit severe, so maybe that's how he'll act, and they will complement each other well.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

2 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

Wasn't sure about this guy. Didn't start well as a manager but has done better at Oxford....then I saw this picture. People are gonna listen when he holds a training session.

Might bring an end to Mahrez being late for training if he stays!

Archived