Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

30 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

File under guffwaffle.

To be fair, he's been a snake in the past and had his fingers burnt so hopefully he learns his lesson. Left Blackpool in the shit, then joined Blackburn and got them in the shit.

He's done a good job at Oxford though so lets hope he'll be decent for us.

Powelly as first team coach as well which is good news.

13 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

To be fair, he's been a snake in the past and had his fingers burnt so hopefully he learns his lesson. Left Blackpool in the shit, then joined Blackburn and got them in the shit.

At least now we know that it isn't their respective owners faults they are in the shit.

He certainly passes the "Gerard test" as I like to call it. Oxford fans think the world of him and are absolutely gutted to see him leave. Described by several as the best manager they have known in 30 years of support. Much loved and humble too they reckon. 

I think he will be an excellent addition. Probably not good enough to be a manager at the highest level (yet), but he's well respected as a coach.

As for a new era of darkness- I loved Permission To Land, so I'm all for it.

25 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Didn't do particularly well at the 3 clubs you mentioned, no !

However, wider picture.. He had there three managerial appointments, each at a time when the respective teams were in turmoil.

His 'winning percentage' doesn't look to clever as a result...but!!

He's being brought in to assist Shakespeare, very likely that CS identified him as who he wanted as AM when he was given the managers job. He's perhaps not very popular in the boardroom at Fratton, Ewood, Blackpool and possibly Oxford, but there's a good number of his 'ex' players who have said how good a coach he is! Think we've done well here.

I'll get shot down in flames here, but I'm more doubtful of the benefits of Powell !

You make a great point, for me. Powell has a fabulous reputation as a top bloke and a really good presence on the training ground. That's excellent.  But I don't think I've seen any credible references to his actual coaching abilities. Maybe CS personality is enough and we should be adding real quality to the actual coaching. That might be CP, I just haven't seen much written about that side of him. 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Should get on well with some of the players then

13 minutes ago, brucey said:

Looking at Twitter #oufc and feeling a bit sorry for all the heartbroken Oxford fans.. Until I see a load of them saying our Shakey will be fired by Christmas. Nope, not sorry anymore.

A friend of mine is an Oxford season ticket holder. They really rate Appleton, and like the way that his teams like to pass the ball around and play attractive football.

I'm not sure about this. Does it represent our ambitions for the forthcoming season - mid table mediocrity a la West Brom, Stoke? If we had a higher profile manager than Shakey, we would have probably attracted a better coaching staff. Hope I'm wrong, but the fact that Shakey worked with him at WBA shouldn't be an important criterion in his appointment. Hope I'm wrong, but doesn't bode well. No doubt Wellens and Kermogant will be joining as well!

14 minutes ago, 49er said:

A friend of mine is an Oxford season ticket holder. They really rate Appleton, and like the way that his teams like to pass the ball around and play attractive football.

I'm not sure about this. Does it represent our ambitions for the forthcoming season - mid table mediocrity a la West Brom, Stoke? If we had a higher profile manager than Shakey, we would have probably attracted a better coaching staff. Hope I'm wrong, but the fact that Shakey worked with him at WBA shouldn't be an important criterion in his appointment. Hope I'm wrong, but doesn't bode well.

I'm very happy about this, I don't think it's possible to get a much better assistant manager regardless of who's in charge. Getting a well rated actual manager to step down into an assistant manager role for us is quite a coup IMO. Already rated Shakey but this has made me even more confident in him. Would you rather have Andrea something or other who was here as coaching staff under Claudio? Less sure about Powell but he is best buddies with all the players still, so as long as he's just running the sessions, everything will be great. Excited for pre season.

18 hours ago, somebum said:

Bad idea all round. If it happens we are probably looking at the new era of darkness.

Seems to me Appleton was probably one of the potential managers they looked at. If he joins, I am sure the intention is that he will at some point, sooner or later, take over from Shakes. Could turn septic very fast. Either way, we are looking at an English management future and we all know what that means.

BREXIT MEANS BREXIT 

Team

From

To

Record

P

W

D

L

Win %

West Bromwich Albion (caretaker)

6 February 2011

14 February 2011

Portsmouth

10 November 2011

7 November 2012

Blackpool

7 November 2012

11 January 2013

Blackburn Rovers

11 January 2013

19 March 2013

Oxford United

4 July 2014

Present

Total

Admittedly he is coming as a coach, but the above stats are hardly something to rave about. Do you think that Shakey sees him as a 'yes' man, providing additional protection against a coup that toppled Ranieri?

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Really excited about this. Hopefully will help us get back to the underdog, siege mentality that we missed so badly last season in the PL. 

Surely our mentality should be, we got to the Champions League quarter final, had a dreadful season but still managed to finish mid-table, we are an established Premier League team that, with some shrewd acquisitions, will be in the top eight rather than scrapping alongside the likes of Burnley and Brighton.

5 minutes ago, 49er said:

Team

From

To

Record

P

W

D

L

Win %

6 February 2011

14 February 2011

Portsmouth

10 November 2011

7 November 2012

Blackpool

7 November 2012

11 January 2013

Blackburn Rovers

11 January 2013

19 March 2013

Oxford United

4 July 2014

Present

Total

Admittedly he is coming as a coach, but the above stats are hardly something to rave about. Do you think that Shakey sees him as a 'yes' man, providing additional protection against a coup that toppled Ranieri?

If you look at the clubs after WBA he hardly had the best platform for a manager trying to find his way....all basket cases at the time and he did well to last so long at each of those clubs!!

As you said he is coming as a coach having had a successful stint in the lower leagues as a manager - his knowledge and insight will be useful and before people say we are too big to shop in the lower divisions there are some quality players needing a chance to step up which if managed correctly could be good for the clubs development.

If he is good enough for the gaffer then we should all be behind him - I think it is quite good that he is coming to us having been the Number 1!

7 minutes ago, 49er said:

Team

From

To

Record

P

W

D

L

Win %

6 February 2011

14 February 2011

Portsmouth

10 November 2011

7 November 2012

Blackpool

7 November 2012

11 January 2013

Blackburn Rovers

11 January 2013

19 March 2013

Oxford United

4 July 2014

Present

Total

It's a fairly new manager. And he's improved in his last position. If that table was the other way around I'd share your doubts. Not sure about a yes man. Your guess is as good as mine but it doesn't seem that way imo.

Guest ttfn
10 minutes ago, 49er said:

Team

From

To

Record

P

W

D

L

Win %

6 February 2011

14 February 2011

Portsmouth

10 November 2011

7 November 2012

Blackpool

7 November 2012

11 January 2013

Blackburn Rovers

11 January 2013

19 March 2013

Oxford United

4 July 2014

Present

Total

He was a bit of a joke figure a few years ago: he went from being regarded as the best young coach in England to a freak show who travelled from troubled club to troubled club.

The job he's done at Oxford is amazing, they're in a better position than they have been for years.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

He wasn't a bit of a joke figure a few years ago: he went from being regarded as the best young coach in England to a freak show who travelled from troubled club to troubled club.

The job he's done at Oxford is amazing, they're in a better position than they have been for years.

Just surprised after our exploits in the last two seasons that we went for someone whose only managerial achievements of note were in Leagues 1 and 2. Looks like Shakey is more of a Primark man than Waitrose!

Oxford fan in peace.

You've managed to bag yourself a hell of an assistant here. He's been the best manager I've seen us have in my time watching us at least. He's transformed us as a team, attracted some amazing talent from the Premier League down and been an all round great gaffer. 

I've seen a few on here say he's taken us as far as he could. That's simply not true. He was promised an increase in playing budget which hasn't materialised. As good as our chairman has been for us (who came in at the same time as MApp) he's openly admitted he would struggle to sustain us any higher than the Championship and even turned down a bid to buy the club (a mistake in my eyes) from a lad called Juan Sartori who openly said he would put money into us. This isn't a witch hunt for him though. I personally feel old Voldemort was promised funds that the chairman couldn't deliver on, couldn't strengthen the squad after letting a fair few go and couldn't see a future with us. It's a damn shame but I guess that's football. 

A lot of our our fans have said it doesn't make sense to leave a managers position to become an assistant in the Premier League but let's not forget it's the best league in the world, of course it's a step up. I'm honestly gutted to see him leave as I know every Oxford fan is. However for 500k a year and the chance to be part of a Premier League set up he'd be mad not to take the position. I just hope it's not the start of a downfall for us!

Anyway, best of luck next season with him as number 2 and I hope I see you lift the champions trophy again with an Oxford legend helping along the way. 

7 minutes ago, 49er said:

Just surprised after our exploits in the last two seasons that we went for someone whose only managerial achievements of note were in Leagues 1 and 2. Looks like Shakey is more of a Primark man than Waitrose!

You do know we're not appointing him as Manager? He's only an assistant!

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

He was a bit of a joke figure a few years ago: he went from being regarded as the best young coach in England to a freak show who travelled from troubled club to troubled club.

But he's not got a 60% win ratio?

5 minutes ago, 49er said:

The last assistant manager we had was never a manager before joining us.... now look where he is.

If anything the fact we are appointing a manager into our assistant role is a big step up, no matter where they come from!

Archived